Modest Mouse

anewman

I think probably my favourite album over the past couple of months is Modest Mouse's Good News For People Who Like Bad News.

I know there's more Modest Mouse stuff out there, but I haven't heard it yet. This is all I need for the moment. It's superb.

It kicks off with a lovely horn piece, followed by two songs (The World at Large, and Float On) which share the same basic riff, and sound very similar (and this works really well, by the way). Then it moves through a series of great tunes, chorusy type songs, before you get Dance Hall and Bukowski (two of my favourites, especially the madly brilliant Dance Hall).

Then it gets a bit more instrospective, before finishing off with the rousing and memorable The Good Times are Killing Me (which will be going round your head for ages after you've heard it).

So, Modest Mouse. Some totally authentic shit, if I ever heard it. I can't wait to try out their other stuff.

theyre fucking apalling live..

average wait time between songs while the singer blathered on and the rest of the band chatted and lit cigs was as long as the songs themselves... twats

i prefer their older stuff.. the new stuff sounds like 80's pop bands like orange juice etc...

You should get The Moon And Antartica. To me its their best album, its slightly more subdued than Good News but still has plenty of upbeat songs (Paper Thin Walls, 3rd Planet) and if you like Bukowski and Dance Hall you will probably like Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes. If you like the slower more acousticy stuff you should really check out Ugly Cassanova which was a side project of Isaac Brocks.

You should get The Moon And Antartica.  To me its their best album, its slightly more subdued than Good News but still has plenty of upbeat songs (Paper Thin Walls, 3rd Planet) and if you like Bukowski and Dance Hall you will probably like Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes.  If you like the slower more acousticy stuff you should really check out Ugly Cassanova which was a side project of Isaac Brocks.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think The Moon and Antartica will be the next one I get.

I'm late getting into Modest Mouse, but picked up Good News... a little while back and it is indeed a superb album. Love those first couple of tracks, and Bukowski is, as you say, brilliant. Bury Me With It is another favourite. I've been meaning to order The Moon and Antartica ever since, but had completely forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...