rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

I'm not sure the language barrier is too much of a problem, look at Bielsa at Leeds or Poch when he joined Southampton. He inherited a good team at Juve, it would be interesting to see what he could do with Arsenal. 

I honestly have no idea who I want as the next manager. Arteta is a huge gamble, Allegri is good bet and I think would be the kind of manager people were expecting when Emery came in. Having had 1.5 years of pretty dire Football, people are probably against his appointment now though. I'd love Pochettino, but realistically he could go somewhere bigger in the Summer given what he achieved at Spurs. Rodgers would be ideal, but he's not going to leave Leicester if they make the Champions League....

Latest Ornstein & Chapman podcast an interesting listen.

Lots of snippets on Allegri beyond not speaking English in his interview - saying he heard Allegri came across as aloof, asking 'why should I consider Arsenal' and he didn't fancy the squad (which I view as a decent sign in a lot of places) plus he wants to bring 9 backroom coaches with him.

Witholding judgement on that line up, I like that Torreira is starting but it depends what his role is going to be tonight, if he's to sit in front of the back four then great. If not, then no point including him.

On 09/08/2019 at 09:54, The Fox said:

Even with the issues on the left, the squad is now comfortably 4th-best in the league on paper. 

I’m starting to think I may have got this one slightly wrong.

• Upvote 1

We need a massive overhaul, far too many of them not good enough. Even Ozil would be on my list to go, he looks just as ordinary as the rest of them. 

It’s impossible to know where to start. A new manager won’t fix things and anyone who’s convinced themselves it will is deluded. There’s no impetus for us to compete because that’s not why we exist. We’re a middling sports franchise that exists in the portfolio of other average teams that belong to an owner who doesn’t care. No team has ever won anything being led by someone with such an active disinterest in sporting success.

Emery was a disaster, but I doubt Klopp or Guardiola could’ve got a tune out of this group. Some good players in there, but it’s a lopsided mess of a squad that’s had years of neglect. There’s really only so much you can do on the training pitch when the pieces just don’t fit.

Sometimes the everyman pundits on Sky and Talksport are right – spanking a record fee on Pepe and ignoring our centre half and midfield issues was just daft. As fun as it was to sign an exciting winger, that transfer looks to be bordering on catastrophic at this point. We’re rumbling on for over a decade with the same issues in our team. What manager stands a realistic chance in those circumstances?

It's a low we haven't seen since back at Highbury, the era of Terry Neil, Don Howe or Bruce Rioch (George Graham played ugly but at least won).

Part of the problem is you can't actually pick a team you look at on current form and think 'that looks good' - they are all either duff or shockingly out of form. It's why the next coach is so important, you can't change all the players so need somebody who can get a tune out the bunch and improve them, make them feel good.

It's mad throwing the likes of Willock into a team in such low confidence - he completed 6/13 passes in first half then fluffed a header, and got an arm waving and shouting at by Auba before being hauled off. Sure he feels great now. 

The only thing Torreira seems to put any effort into is diving, Ozil did his thing of appearing to track back but not getting anywhere near the ball and when he did it was comical how he buys every dummy or feint.

Brighton fully deserved the win, in our good 5 mins we still didn't trouble the goalie much, and again were outshot at home 12-20 (5-9 on target) - xG was 0.9 v 1.86.

We've not even been in a tough run, we're playing teams that traditionally we pick points up agains easily, and we should be doing better.

Still on plus side looks like we've found a way to get out of the Europa league next season.

I think Torreira has an awful attitude, and I wouldn’t pick him on that alone. For the two or three good passes he does he ruins it all by going down like a big fairy and holding his ankle like it is broken, while play around him carries on (which he is needed to be a part of). 

Freddy is out of his depth; he probably feels like his winless starts means he dodges a bullet, and is secretly thankful for it. Whoever is in next has to work a miracle. 

The slightly concerning thing is that it’s been a relatively kind run of fixtures and we’ve still made a complete horlicks of it. With the table so squished up it would really only take a couple more shit results (during a very challenging few weeks) to have us right in the mix near the relegation zone. Something I never thought I’d see. Why we didn’t sort the manager situation at the start of the international break and have even an inkling of who we wanted to get in is so unbelievably stupid.

I think we need to give Freddie a bit more time. Last night was his first proper game that he had time to prepare for and while it was a shambles there was some signs of life. I thought Pepe and Tierney showed a lot of promise when they came on. And I know people are down on Aubameyang for lashing Willock out of it during the match but it was good to see a bit of heat from our captain.

Looking at the squad this is how I'd break it down.

Top Tier:

Leno
Bellerin
Tierney
Ceballos
Ozil 
Aubameyang 
Holding
Pepe
Guendouzi

Mid table - potential is there but will probably need a decent manager to get something from them:

Saka
Chambers
AMN
Torreira
Laca
Martinelli
Willock - just about

Trash

Sokratis
Luiz
Kolasinic
Xhaka

Please leave my club

Mustafi

Don't know enough about the rest of the squad to have an opinion on them. But there is the makings of a proper team there. 

I'm surprise no-one has suggested Big Sam as an option, because based on current form it's not going to be long before we will be in a relegation scrap.

This is what happens when you let a guy, who was clearly not good enough, stay managing the team until results are consistently in line with performances and the squad is completely devoid of confidence before you sack him. This is on Raul and Vinai, the board and KSE. I truly cant see where we get a win this season. Freddie has an impossible job with games every couple of days. He has already fallen into the trap of playing "Emery lineups and formations" I'm not sure what's so difficult about playing the right players for a specific lineup rather than fitting in your so called "best players" who are not playing well.