cubeadvance

Arsenal

I'm pretty sure I saw the guys elbo go into his chest...

But still, I feel so sorry for the Arsenal fans, they were easily the better team for the first 75 minutes :unsure:

Indeed they were. I don't think Barca played like an especially good team tonight - certainly not as good as they were against Chelsea. An 11 man Arsenal would have won that match.

He's going no matter what he said. With no Pires and no Bergkamp, and with a new stadium to be paid for there is no way they can compete next season. Henri knows this, he wants to win trophies and he knows that won't happen at Arsenal.

Where else could he go to apart from Barca?

I don't think he'd want to go back to Italy and I can't see him wanting to go to Barca after watching him react during/after that game.

And there's NO WAY he'd go to another English club - i.e. Chelsea.

I think Lehmann would've done better with the goal shots, though.

That's just blind speculation. Overall he's a better keeper for sure, but you can't break it down to that level.

Also, to do so is a great disservice to Almunia, who played fucking well on the night. In fact, I'd say exceptionally well, considering the circumstances he came into. Fair play to him; I've never been completely won over by him, but was impressed tonight. I think he showed real balls.

Unlucky Arsenal, I really wanted you to win. The ref had a shocker and Eto'o was offside for Barcelona's first goal. Henry will stay now and hopefully you will win it next year, providing Liverpool have already been knocked out that is :unsure:

That's just blind speculation. Overall he's a better keeper for sure, but you can't break it down to that level.

Also, to do so is a great disservice to Almunia, who played fucking well on the night. In fact, I'd say exceptionally well, considering the circumstances he came into. Fair play to him; I've never been completely won over by him, but was impressed tonight. I think he showed real balls.

That's why I said 'I think' :unsure:

Of course, if Lehmann hadn't been sent off, wouldn't Barca have been a goal up early on? Changes the whole course of the match...

Why don't you think Henry would want to go back to Italy, anyway? Last time he played there he was a winger...

I don't think Arsenal were robbed. I missed the possible infringement that Henry was talking about in the run up to the sending off, I'll admit. But there's only one man to blame for Arsenal having to play 10 v 11 (and for having your second choice keeper in goal when Beletti hits the ball at him), and that's Jens Lehman. The ref could have chosen to play advantage, but it was a fair decision to do what he did.

The decision for Eto'o's goal was a really tight one. He was maybe just off, but it's debatable, and it happened at lightning speed. Could have gone either way, and if there's doubt then the benefit should be given to the attacking side. There's a case for moaning about bookings, but none of them would have changed the course of the game.

The worst decision the officials made all evening was missing the cheating by Eboue for the free kick that led to the Arsenal goal, a decision which did change the course of the game and which nearly cost Barca their deserved victory: in the days to come when the grumbling rumbles on Arsenal would do well to remember it.

Fine Arsenal defending for most of the game, it looked like they were going to keep Barca out right up until they didn't. There was much to be proud of, and it must hurt to come so close.

Oh, if only Arsenal could take their chances. Thought Reyes should've come much earlier than he did. Still, Barca were good for their win. Ronaldinho, though, expected lots more from him. Almunia was deffo at fault for the second goal. Thought Lehman would've saved that.

Still, hard luck Arsenal.

They never did replay the pass before the sending off either, he looked offside when it was live.

Cole played him onside by miles

Although I fell sad, I still feel awfully proud of the lads tonight. The performance deserved to win it and except for a few moments Barca had nothing to win the game

I watched it on ITV.

Never again!

For the last 10 minutes the only point they put across was how the luck of a cup competition meant that sometimes the best team in Europe didn't win it's biggest prize. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

And no! I genuinely didn't detect any irony.

I didn't witness how Milan failed to dispatch of these jokers but I'm presuming one of their players was sent off in the first half, yes? And does that ref control (and I use this word loosely) all of Barca's games?

That's why I said 'I think' :unsure:

Of course. I'm just saying that posting that thought was:

a) pointless, since it's ridiculously unprovable - especially since both goals would largely come down to luck rather than ability from the keeper's point of view;

B) a bit strange considering how much good Almunia had done throughout the game (if we're going to do wild speculation we can equally conjecture as to whether Lehmann would have made the saves he made); and

c) unfairly dismissive of Almunia's contribution throughout the match.

I think the biggest shame about this Final was that there were so many 'what ifs' that people will be talking about for years to come rather than the actual game itself.

Good point was bought up by Redknapp when he said that with regards to the red card the ref should of kept Lehmann on to keep in the spirit of the event and Keys replied with but he was following the letter of the law, implying that because it was a final the rules should be bent a little.

Personally I think the goal should of stood and a red card for Lehmann, which is bad news for me as i had a bet on for him to be man of the match! :unsure:

I think Arsenal will lose Henry and A. Cole in the summer. Possibly both to Madrid.

thats for later to decide but Arsenal in particular have shown that they will recover. Perhaps if Henry does leave (NO!!) the gunners will not be so reliant on him ala I.Wright

Hard luck Arsenal, but Lehmann really fucked things up for you. Sending off was a bit unfortunate, but the referee was just doing his job. Congrats to Barca too.

If the referee had done his job, he would've played advantage and given the goal.

The first Barca goal was offside.

Henry was booked for an amazingly clean slide tackle, and penalised for fouls on several occasions in which he fairly dispossessed the Barca defenders. I can understand him being furious.