The Thick Of It

On 1/27/2018 at 08:49, Gotters said:

I've just rewatched the last couple of seasons on Netflix and enjoyed the 4th a lot more this time round than when first aired, even the 1h long hearing which I disliked a lot first time round.

Watching it now with May as PM makes Nichola Murray look an almost inspired Nostradamus like prediction of a character.

Nicola Murray was supposed to be Ed Milliband though.

• 2 years later...

Only took me 15 years but recently I started this and just finished it this morning. I feel series 4 was one too many. The rest I really enjoyed but series 4 felt like overkill with them struggling for ideas. They had the perfect moment to end it in Season 3 and bottled it literally an episode later. The meanness factor seems to go into overdrive in series 4 too that it stop being funny. Overall a great show but just went on too long.

Season 4 struggled because that was the point when real life overtook political satire for stupidity. For the first three series we could laugh at the comical caricatures of politicians and their handlers. But by the fourth series these characters seemed more balanced and competent than the real-life politicians that they were spoofing.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Season 4 struggled because that was the point when real life overtook political satire for stupidity. For the first three series we could laugh at the comical caricatures of politicians and their handlers. But by the fourth series these characters seemed more balanced and competent than the real-life politicians that they were spoofing.

I loved it on Twitter when Arnando Ianucci started talking about Dan Jarvis, the real poliitician.

"Hang on, isn't he one of our creations?"

• 5 months later...

Yeah man! One of mine. One of my most favourite gigs ever.

I'll hit you up when you've done the lot. Would be fascinating to see what someone only just coming to it makes of the show, we made it when the world was a very different place, and when politics was viewed so differently to now.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

we made it when the world was a very different place, and when politics was viewed so differently to now.

Yeah, when The Thick of It started, an "omnishambles" was considered an occasional, remarkable event, whereas now it's a constant state (on both sides of the Atlantic). :(

(According to Wikipedia, the word's first use in The Thick of It was in the episode that @Timmo mentioned - series 3 episode 1!)

• Upvote 1

It’s when the minister reveals that she can’t get in lifts because she’s claustrophobic, isn’t it? :lol:

“From bean to cup, you fuck up.”

The third series is probably the best, it’s absolutely incredible. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Nick R said:

Yeah, when The Thick of It started, an "omnishambles" was considered an occasional, remarkable event, whereas now it's a constant state (on both sides of the Atlantic). :(

(According to Wikipedia, the word's first use in The Thick of It was in the episode that @Timmo mentioned - series 3 episode 1!)

A word created by TTOI writer Tony Roche. I think he also came up with 'Fuckity-bye' from In the Loop. 

I think that was Jesse Armstrong's. 

I can never be sure though as often the writers themselves couldn't remember. Due to the way the scripts were written, they'd go through several drafts by different people.

I once was in a conversation with David Quantick and Ian Martin who were both insisting the other one had written Malcolm's 'What's that film you like?' speech to Ollie in the last season.