Doctor Who

FishyFish

7 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Especially now. I'm totally pro the doctor regenerating into as varied a range of people as possible, and long may it continue, but there was something positive about the doctor being one of the few male characters that promotes a very anti-violence, anti-toxic masculinity image, compared to every male MCU hero solving every problem by punching it.

Among the MCU, Doctor Strange was the exception: he expressed some distress when he caused the death of a villainous henchman, and ended up defeating his film's villain by annoying it into submission. (Using time travel! :eyebrows:)

Of course, in many other respects his character is not much of a role model.

I'd like to see Jodie Whittaker stay under a new show runner - I can't say I'll miss Chibnall.  

Hopefully these departures will bring some positive changes to the show - it badly needs it.

Well there we go. Later than I expected for Whittaker, but I'm surprised that Chibnall's going too. You'd think he'd want to try his hand at writing a different Doctor.

I can't say I'm sad to see him go though. RTD and Moffat both had their issues, but both managed to produce some absolutely wonderful Who. Chibnall's just been a bit meh, and hopefully his replacement can manage to bring a spark to the show.

I'm already looking forward to seeing somebody else write for the thirteenth Doctor in a special. :D

Speaking of new writers for old Doctors, I listened to the first Ninth Doctor Big Finish box-set recently and rather enjoyed it, with some caveats. It suffers a bit from Ecclestone sounding almost twenty years older than he did in the show, and added to a feeling that this was a slightly different take on Nine than the one we saw on screen. It's an issue shared to varying degrees by the classic Doctor audios, although in Colin Baker's case very much for the better.

Ecclestone clearly threw himself into the role though, despite how it seemed from his interviews on the subject. He's full of energy throughout, and his Doctor remains as brilliantly unique as he always was.

I'm not quite sold on Nova as his companion though. She was fine, I guess, but not very well developed and certainly no Rose. Hopefully the next box-set will flesh her out a bit more.

The story itself was a little messy too, I thought. It was an "end of the universe" thing, which is usually a bad sign, but it was also a timey wimey thing which made it more interesting. I don't think it quite stuck the landing though, and the audio format made it more confusing than it should have been. It had fun along the way though, and the simple fact that it was more Ninth Doctor was a big plus in its favour.

The next lot are out in August, but I'm more excited for Tennant's second Dalek Universe box-set. His audio stuff has been absolutely brilliant so far.

On 26/07/2021 at 13:44, Exidor said:

"A writer of thrilling, unusual telly in the lead writer role" - yeah, they should have got the Broadchurch guy in or something.

I kind of agree with his last point though. I'd like to see them give it to a non-fan next time - someone without all the baggage who can just write interesting stories without all the Timeless Protector bollocks. A bit like every single producer and editor on the show's original run.

I don't know if there's anyone who'd want to do it, now, who isn't a fan or who hates it (or mostly likely both, based on the era under discussion). The show's been on for so loing and been such a cultural thing that I can't imagine anyone having any detachment from it. 

Unless, maybe, they choose somone young, who grew up during the 1990-2005 gap, and can actually be fresh. Maybe this is the first chance to do it - someone like that would be in their early 30s now.

I try to find something positive in every era of Doctor Who, but I'm genuinely delighted that Chibnall is going sooner than expected, he's been absolutely shit at this.

And although Whittaker's done a good job, it's probably the right decision for them both to go at the same time. The whole show needs a good shake-up now and whoever comes in will hopefully have their own ideas for their own Doctor.

Sad about Whittaker, and I’ve probably not given Chibnell enough of a chance, but a fresh front runner is a good thing I think. 

I’m out of the box thinking I’m thinking the BSG guy who used to do TNG. Ronald D Moore. I suspect he can do tension and understand the pacifist core, whilst giving it some premium feel. And his time doing outlander must give him some understanding of the uk. 

I can't say I'm going to miss Chibnall at all. Cos imo he's shit. 

Give it to Toby Whithouse and give the BBC some bloody money to build their own volume a la Star Wars / Marvel. Surely it would be worth their investment. 

Coming up next on the BBC - the the fat lazy Adipose have travelled back in time to stop Brexit - thinking they know best.  Can the 14th doctor (Micheal Gove) and his companion (a full on nazi Dalek - voiced by Sheridan smith) save the day?

Jodie Whitaker really had a Colin Baker style run here. Plenty of potential wasted by some average to poor stories, and even some of the earlier promising stuff would just fall apart in the last five minutes. 

50 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It's shame that the first female Doctor is going to be the least memorable incarnation by a country mile throught no fault of the actress but a ruccish showrunner who's written her as a passive observer in an alarming amount of her own stories and is more obsessed with continuity lore wank than just telling a good story.

This. Hopefully she has a better run with Big Finish stuff down the line.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Speaking of new writers for old Doctors, I listened to the first Ninth Doctor Big Finish box-set recently and rather enjoyed it, with some caveats. It suffers a bit from Ecclestone sounding almost twenty years older than he did in the show, and added to a feeling that this was a slightly different take on Nine than the one we saw on screen. It's an issue shared to varying degrees by the classic Doctor audios, although in Colin Baker's case very much for the better.

Ecclestone clearly threw himself into the role though, despite how it seemed from his interviews on the subject. He's full of energy throughout, and his Doctor remains as brilliantly unique as he always was.

I'm not quite sold on Nova as his companion though. She was fine, I guess, but not very well developed and certainly no Rose. Hopefully the next box-set will flesh her out a bit more.

The story itself was a little messy too, I thought. It was an "end of the universe" thing, which is usually a bad sign, but it was also a timey wimey thing which made it more interesting. I don't think it quite stuck the landing though, and the audio format made it more confusing than it should have been. It had fun along the way though, and the simple fact that it was more Ninth Doctor was a big plus in its favour.

The next lot are out in August, but I'm more excited for Tennant's second Dalek Universe box-set. His audio stuff has been absolutely brilliant so far.

Spoiler

Nova isn’t in the next box set.  Ecclestone isn’t going to have a permanent companion yet as they don’t want to step on the tv show.  His Dr is being written slightly differently to the show, which is something they discussed in depth before writing.

😚 Doctor the starship of evil Immy Grunts is approaching Great Britain's airspace what are we going to do.

🧐 Worry not, I've reversed the polarity of their engines sending them hurtling back to Planet Kal'Ay.

/CGI shot of redesigned Tardis spinning away.

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, davidcotton said:
  Hide contents

Nova isn’t in the next box set.  Ecclestone isn’t going to have a permanent companion yet as they don’t want to step on the tv show.  His Dr is being written slightly differently to the show, which is something they discussed in depth before writing.

Ah, interesting. I guess that explains a lot then.

I don't suppose you have a link to the writing discussion? I'd like to give that a read. :)

I've not seen a lot of her series, because I am not on the right side of the Irish border any more to make it easy. However literally everything I have seen of Whittaker has been "a bit like Tennant, but worse". 

Can anyone direct me to some clips of her being good? Capaldi lifted some very average scripts, and was amazing when he got something like Hell Sent. 

The #1 thing the BBC needs out of the new show runner or writing room is that they can put out 10-13 episodes a year, every year, in a consistent time slot. The mucking about which started under Moffat has been lethal to the show. Every if it's brilliant, it can't survive the moving about and complete abscences it's been subjected to. 

One of the weirdest things about Whittaker as the Doctor (in the first season anyway, didn’t watch the second one) was how the marketing was so massive on ‘F1rst WOMAN doctor!!!’ but there was absolutely nothing remotely feminine in the writing of the character at all. 

This completely undercut anything interesting about the casting and left Whittaker adrift grasping around for a parody of Doctor Who mannerisms instead of developing a proper character. For example, the Tennant Doctor was a bit of a ladies’ man - why couldn’t Whittaker’s be a horndog as well? You’d really struggle to describe the Doctor in this current incarnation.

8 minutes ago, kensei said:

The #1 thing the BBC needs out of the new show runner or writing room is that they can put out 10-13 episodes a year, every year, in a consistent time slot. The mucking about which started under Moffat has been lethal to the show. Every if it's brilliant, it can't survive the moving about and complete abscences it's been subjected to. 

You'd have thought kids shows above all else need regularity. If you wait several years between seasons you're almost a different person when it comes back. I'd be guaranteed 26 episodes a year every year when I was a kid.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Ah, interesting. I guess that explains a lot then.

I don't suppose you have a link to the writing discussion? I'd like to give that a read. :)

No link as such, just come up a few times podcasts and the like.

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

So fun, and very worthy, but it still screams Tennant to me. 

And are the episodes really that bad she only shines away from them? 

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

One of the weirdest things about Whittaker as the Doctor (in the first season anyway, didn’t watch the second one) was how the marketing was so massive on ‘F1rst WOMAN doctor!!!’ but there was absolutely nothing remotely feminine in the writing of the character at all. 

This completely undercut anything interesting about the casting and left Whittaker adrift grasping around for a parody of Doctor Who mannerisms instead of developing a proper character. For example, the Tennant Doctor was a bit of a ladies’ man - why couldn’t Whittaker’s be a horndog as well? You’d really struggle to describe the Doctor in this current incarnation.

At the time I said if they were gonna do it and they should just ignore it and carry on, but I was wrong. 

It's an opportunity both to challenge the Doctor's view of himself and also how the world reacts to him. Can't use the same approach without the white male privilege in lots of places/times, so the Doctor has to find some new solutions.  Learn something about the character and give the lead a chance to make their own mark. As far as I can tell that never happened, instead Chibnall decided to do the worst retcon in the history of Who, which is some going.