Doctor Who

FishyFish

On Saturday I went for wee in the Tardis toilet at the Warmly Waiting rooms.  Nothing timey wimey happened.  I totally failed to make any time travel related puns when returning to our table. :(

6 hours ago, monkeydog said:

On Saturday I went for wee in the Tardis toilet at the Warmly Waiting rooms.  Nothing timey wimey happened.  I totally failed to make any time travel related puns when returning to our table. :(

Not even “Dr.Poo”?

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Wee-lliam Hartnell

Jon Pertwee

Amelia Pooed

And of course...

Reveal hidden contents

Peter Crapaldi

Colon Baker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I’m more worried by 

Chris Chibnall has revealed that #Series13 will be all one story! "It's definitely the most ambitious thing we've done since we've been on the series"

than excited by that trailer

The single story thing obviously rests on how good that story is, and Chibnall's run so far hasn't exactly been full of standouts. I hope the focus will result in something special to end Whittaker's run though.

I really really want this to be good - and a single story spanning the whole season is a good idea..... But I have lost all faith in the show runner.

Would love him to prove me wrong, but he's made Dr Who boring - something that the show should never, ever be.

At this point I'll accept trying anything that's a bit different, because the current iteration of the show isn't working for me at all.

Here's hoping for Children of Earth rather than Trial of a Timelord, though.

16 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

So Whittaker as the doctor.  Decent actress, but poor show runner (as a lot of people predicted at the time), or miscast?  Also odds on next doctor being female?

Whittaker's fine, I think, though it's kind of hard to tell as she's been given so little to work with. She's been good in other stuff I've seen her in. Here she's not really required to do much more than run from place to place and try to get a word in edgeways as her companions jabber away. Her Doctor is at best undefined (loosely based on Tennant, though, I think) and at worst wildly inconsistent in characterisation (the episode where she bravely saved Space Amazon from its troublesome workers being a particular low point). She's the least distinctive Doctor in terms of personality since the show returned, perhaps since the show began.

The problems with the show at the moment are all to do with the writing. I'm dreading whatever the fallout from last season's Timeless Child bollocks is going to be, when the show returns. Chibnall seems obsessed with clarifying minor points of 1970s continuity while gleefully throwing out everything that RTD and Moffat worked to create.

In terms of the next Doctor - I hope they don't return immediately to "white male" as it'll make Whittaker's Doctor look like a gimmick (and give the neckbeards something to crow about). I'm sure there are plenty of other women who could do the part justice, or maybe it's time for the first Doctor of Colour.

People tend to forget that anything that wasn't scenes of Malcom Tucker wrestling with horrific moral dilemmas (ie. anything that involved the actual Torchwood team) was a load of old shit in Children of Earth.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

first Doctor of Colour

Well, technically we've already had one:

220px-Fugitive_Doctor_(Jo_Martin).png

Shame we didn't see more of her. Her Doctor seemed so fully formed for such a short appearance.

3 hours ago, davidcotton said:

So an 18 month hiatus, new doctor and cancellation in three seasons time if the parallel with Classic who is being followed?

Andrew Ellard tweeted yesterday about how if you follow parallels with previous Doctors, the Whittaker era could be seen as equivalent to Davison:

"A writer of thrilling, unusual telly in the lead writer role" - yeah, they should have got the Broadchurch guy in or something.

I kind of agree with his last point though. I'd like to see them give it to a non-fan next time - someone without all the baggage who can just write interesting stories without all the Timeless Protector bollocks. A bit like every single producer and editor on the show's original run.

I drifted away in 12's run, and this run hasn't brought me back (despite trying for a few episodes due to finally getting a female doctor).

In a way it needs to be a reaction to marvels mcu now. But I'm not sure what that is. Probably leaning into Dr Who, rather than away.

The doctor is such a incredibly important character for children. A smart pacifist, who upends the social norm, and criticises societies, is needed more than ever. Especially now. I'm totally pro the doctor regenerating into as varied a range of people as possible, and long may it continue, but there was something positive about the doctor being one of the few male characters that promotes a very anti-violence, anti-toxic masculinity image, compared to every male MCU hero solving every problem by punching it.

Ironically, all the people losing their minds over the doctors latest regeneration, need the previous ones to teach them they are being pretty awful people.

I don't miiiiiind this idea I guess. If they really HAD to keep Chibnall I guess this plays to his strengths a little more.

I don't mind a less crowded Tardis either, or a different dynamic for Yaz. I do however quite mind that this dynamic will be dependent on the talent and charisma of John Bishop.