FishyFish

Doctor Who

Personally enjoyed it. The bin burp and the severed arm wrestling were a bit shit, but otherwise it worked well as an introduction to the characters. Some people have criticized the somewhat hectic pace of the story but I personally feel that the whole intent was to introduce Rose and the Doctor and having her get caught up in the action right from the beginning allowed this to happen with plenty of pace. I don't think that a detailed story PLUS the introduction of the characters would've worked if they'd tried to squeeze it all into the first 45 minute episode.

My 10 yr old son sat glued to the TV the entire 45 minutes, so on that count I think it worked as family entertainment - after all, if the programme only tried to appeal to the (now grown up) people who watched the old series it would probably fail terribly - the producers have to attract a new audience as well as catering for the original fans if it's to succeed.

Seems to have trounced Ant 'n' Dec in the ratings though and almost all the word of mouth I've seen has been positive (apart from the balls-up that allowed Graham Norton's voice to intrude - I thought the baddies were Autons, not Nortons...). Have to see how it holds up over the coming weeks.

What'd everyone else think?

I think it shows a lot of promise and raised a number of smirks throughout.

I was very suprised at how fast the 45 minutes wizzed by, which by my book can only be a good thing. Looking forward to next week.

It wasn't too bad at all. Yes, as you say, very rushed, but getting a complete Auton storyline plus character introductions into 45 minutes was always going to be tricky.

He does need a more interesting costume though.

Next week's looks good. More like a 'proper' Who story.

Excited :rolleyes:

I enjoyed it immensely. The story was verging on slapstick and some of the acting and dialogue were highly camp, yet it all worked pefectly. It failed to really capture any sense of anxiety, but it was exciting, funny and overall enjoyable. It definitely felt like they were trying to fit in all the introductions in the first episode and leave the rest of the series for the main storyline, so hopefully the pacing will relax later on.

Knowing it's been written by Russel T Davies is enough to make me watch the whole thing - anyone who's seen Queer as Folk will know he's clearly a Dr Who nut, so the series is basically 'made for fans, by fans'. I've already really liked the mannequin monsters and watching Eccleston on johnathan Ross on friday, I could see that even he was really into the whole thing and he constantly praised Davies' work.

the special effects were indeed very crap - I don't even think they were done like that to be camp - but I really, really enjoyed the episode. roll on next week!

Thought it was great and JPickford was absolutely spot on. Completely in the mould of Doctor Who of old, production values and all, and I can't fathom why anyone who was previously a fan would not like it; unless they're sitting there being giant curmudgeons of course!

Russell Davies is clearly a fan. The mannequins possibly captured my imagination in my youth more than any enemy, even the Daleks! Brilliant to see them return, albeit briefly.

I'd give it a solid 7 and thats from a long term fan.  The Dalek episode is number 6 if anyones intrested btw.

I'd give it the same. Next weeks looks good though. If you caught Jonathon Ross as well he had loads of cool clips on there.

Shit I loved it, i agree totally with what other people have been saying the 45 minutes flew by. Eccleson was great as the Doctor and Billie Piper is nice to look at every week.

The only problem i really had with it is that it seemed self contained, hopefully as the series goes on there will be cliffhangers at the end of the episode just like the old shows.

Also I was a bit worried about it being scheduled up against "ant and dec" (Is this Greg Dyke trying to kill it off again). But i'd needed have worried it pulled in 10 million views (6 million more than the BBC ususally get for that time on a saturday night).

Next week's episode looks great, i can't wait to see the Daleks again though 16 years is too long to wait.

I really enjoyed it. I've always liked Dr Who but my memories of it reside primarily in my youth back in the '70's. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too as did my sister and seven year old nephew. Can hardly wait until next saturday.

:rolleyes:

Eh? You made the 3rd post in this thread, the first post had the poster enjoying Doctor Who and the 2nd thought it wasn't bad.

ssssh, I'm the backlash incase it becomes too popular with the masses.

See The Office and Little Britain :(

Too many people enjoyed it. All my family, my girlfriend and her family, and most of my mates who saw it in liked it and I don't think any of them were fans.

It's quite clearly rubbish then.

ssssh, I'm the backlash incase it becomes too popular with the masses.

See The Office and Little Britain :rolleyes:

backlash from seanr with his already prepared Peter Davidson jpeg :(

I reckon that and banana phone in time with the eyes = winnah

I gotta say, I was actually expecting it to be shite. Yet it turned out to be pretty good. They've managed to create a new more modern version, while at the same time, still been able to make it bear many similarities with the old version!

backlash from seanr with his already prepared Peter Davidson jpeg :rolleyes:

I reckon that and banana phone in time with the eyes = winnah

what, this old thing?

DrWho.gif

I loved it. I didn't think I would, especially with the early reviews that went out and this being one of the weakest episodes (apparently), but it was great. I got really excited as 7pm approached. It was good to hear that the opening music was not messed around with too much.

I thought the pace of the episode was very fast, but it did not have any frantic MTV-style cutting, which was good. I was pleasantly surprised by how well Christopher Ecclestone was as The Doctor. He had a nice mix of quirky and serious. Even Billie Piper was pretty good (and pretty).

It was just a shame that the BBC couldn't sort out the sound properly at the start. It was ridiculous to have this show, out of all the shows, have that cock-up.

BTW, did this episode remind anyone of Terminator 2 (what with the dummies attacking the lift, the plastic man rampaging in the restaurant and the ending)?

Also, it would be nice to see some episode stretch over a couple of weeks to have some juicy cliffhangers. Apart from that, I am really looking forward to next Saturday.

CJ

It captured the essence of Doctor Who spot on, which I didn't think it would manage to do after all this time, and in this day and age. Very enjoyable and has the potential to be great. My Saturday nights out have now been delayed accordingly.

Brilliant really, good script full of good humour, and as has been said before felt like a Who production of old.

Just a few little niggles:

The bin burp wasn't necessary, and the Auton arm fight was overdone to near slapstick. Plus Mickey's Auton replica was a tad overdone in the over-acting stakes.

This is perhaps more of a quibble on all first episodes but the final 15-20 felt rushed, though it can be excused by having to introduce Rose and The Doctor. A 45 minute story can be done and not feel too rushed so I'm not too concerned.

It does look rather promising though and it's clearly in the right hands. It's modern but has that old touch to it. It doesn't feel dumbed down for anyone either. I felt really quite proud that there was finally a good British Sci-fi show again. In fact I felt like a kid again waiting for the titles to roll (even shouting for Graham Norton to hurry up with his shite, although even he had to invade Doctor Who didn't he?!)

To add even more positives, my Mum - a Who fan herself - liked it too. She had a problem with it being rushed though, but I think it's more to do with that episode. She was very sceptical of Ecclestone at first, but warmed to him quickly and she never complained about Billie Piper!

Can't wait 'til next week now.

Another 7/10 here.

*Colin was a pretty good touch too shame he might have died!

I've never watched Dr Who before - can someone explain the reasoning behind the transition from one doctor? Eccleston looked at himself in the mirror as if he had never seen himself before.

I only know that one dies, and another one appears, but not why or if they're really the same person/alien or what.

I thought it was okay. I was completely unconvinced by Ecclestone's silly grin at the start of the episode, but by the end I thought he was perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses with the character as the series goes along (will his character become a bit darker, I wonder).

I quite fancied Billie Piper and everything (she's always thrusting her boobs about all over the place in the first ep, and she wears far too much make up...), but I'm not convinced with her as the doc's assistant yet.

I thought the effects with the bin, and the plastic arm fight, were kind of half in jest. Like an ironic in joke about the crapness of previous Dr Who series' special effects.

I've never watched Dr Who before - can someone explain the reasoning behind the transition from one doctor?  Eccleston looked at himself in the mirror as if he had never seen himself before.

I only know that one dies, and another one appears, but not why or if they're really the same person/alien or what.

When an actor leaves they don't want to scrap the show.

BTW. Did you notice a little girl with a balloon in that mirror? Very odd.

I've never watched Dr Who before - can someone explain the reasoning behind the transition from one doctor?  Eccleston looked at himself in the mirror as if he had never seen himself before.

See, they fucked that one right up. He's surprised to see himself at one point in the mirror, then that bloke was telling Billie Piper shit and showing her pics of him looking EXACTLY THE SAME in different time periods.

Absolute tripe, it is.

See, they fucked that one right up. He's surprised to see himself at one point in the mirror, then that bloke was telling Billie Piper shit and showing her pics of him looking EXACTLY THE SAME in different time periods.

Absolute tripe, it is.

He can be in photos of the past in adventures that he hasn't had yet. Maybe those photos hint at stories to come? That's the beauty of time travel. Maybe if you look real close at the photos Rose might be in there too....

Absolute tripe, it is.

You haven't thought about it very well, have you. Remember. He can travel throught time in the tardis. Therefore, in his current guise he could have been anywhere in time, therefore meaning he would indeed appear in those photos.