Documentaries

gravity0

Man I am loving Mcmillions. 

Doug is just amazing TV. 

Upto ep4 in one night and aim to finish the thing tonight. I know nothing about it bar the high level info so it's very interesting to see it all unfold. 

On 28/05/2020 at 09:15, Darhkwing said:

Oh nice. I was surprised to see they had a documentary as I assumed the film was still coming.

Problem is ive read the story twice, not quite sure ill learn anything more from a documentary but i'll probably watch at some point as it's such a a crazy story.

I believe that the documentary was a bit of a dickhead move, based on the fact that Wahlberg missed out on the movie rights. So they got the story into living rooms via another medium while the film was in production.

I'm not sure if I want to watch the doc or wait for the film.

57 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I believe that the documentary was a bit of a dickhead move, based on the fact that Wahlberg missed out on the movie rights. So they got the story into living rooms via another medium while the film was in production.

I'm not sure if I want to watch the doc or wait for the film.

The doc is good, but I feel like the original article laid out the story in a much better way by following the chief conspirator for most of it. Here he was more a shadowy figure in the background, and I felt it didn't really add much, and actually made the story harder to follow. 

Finished McMillions and thought it was very good, maybe an ep or two too long.

There is becoming a standard template for these kinds of multi episode documentaries now where rather than simply letting things play out in a linear manner you structure them more heavily to drip feed out the info and build more tension or narrative 'wows'.

Where this falls flat a little sometimes is when the story itself kind of runs out of steam a little once you've established things - I think the first half of McMillions had a lot of 'WTF' moments as the scale and participants were set out, but the story runs out of steam a little (unlike say the Staircase or Tiger King where the real events keep on building and building).

Good stuff though and well worth a watch if you don't really know the story at all, which we didn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, Welcome to Chechnya Is some harrowing viewing and a really good documentary. 

You really do not want to be gay in that country and it’s heartbreaking viewing tbh.

It’s on iPlayer if you want to watch it. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is on amazon video at the moment. A poignant look at the life of an English motherbound eccentric as he cobbles together an overly complicated expedition into the remote Scottish highlands in search of the hidden Jacobite gold, the location of which he believes was presented to him 20 years previously on a trip where he nearly died after wandering in with nothing but 60 Regal small and a couple of fruit cakes. 

1 hour ago, Rumspringa said:

This is on amazon video at the moment. A poignant look at the life of an English motherbound eccentric as he cobbles together an overly complicated expedition into the remote Scottish highlands in search of the hidden Jacobite gold, the location of which he believes was presented to him 20 years previously on a trip where he nearly died after wandering in with nothing but 60 Regal small and a couple of fruit cakes. 

SOLD!

Will watch this tonight, time permitting..

Quite a decent complied list from the Guardian called 20 must-see documentaries to explain the world in 2020. Some broad titles which most people have have already seen, but a few smaller ones. I've seen the majority but ones I haven't heard of or still need to watch are: On the Record, Seahorse, Hail Satan? and Midnight Traveler.

The full list of the twenty documentaries are:

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich

I Am Not Your Negro

The Last Dance

Spaceship Earth

On the Record

Welcome to Chechnya

The Unwanted: The Secret Windrush Files

Our Planet

13th

Seahorse

Tiger King

For Sama

Honeyland

Miss Americana

Tell Me Who I Am

Hail Satan?

The Great Hack

Midnight Traveler.

The Edge of Democracy

Knock Down the House

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first 3 episodes of The Last Narc, an Amazon documentary about the murder of a DEA agent in Mexico in the 1980's. It interviews the main DEA guy who investigated his death, cartel bodyguards, family members and others involved in the investigation. I've read some fictional accounts of this incident and how it lead to the splintering of the Mexican drug cartels but it was interesting to see what really happened. And very interesting when the deeper conspiracy stuff started. It's well made and filmed and easy to follow. I haven't watched it but I think there's a season of Narcos based on this incident. 

I think if you've an interest in the drug wars and their consequences you'll get a lot from this. But I found it just really sad. It showed how pointless the 'war on drugs' is and always has been. It's been ongoing for almost 50 years now. And the amount of drugs being made and sold has never been higher and the cartel profits have never been bigger. The whole thing is just a meaningless, bloody grind. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 19:25, kittygotwet said:

Watched a Documentry called Tread last night,was recommended it by a mate who told me to go into it without knowing anything about it and I was not disappointed

Just finished watching this, cheers for the recommendation, thought it was fascinating. Like you say, best not reading up prior to viewing.

Did wonder why I hadn't heard of this story, then the information at the end of the documentary made me realise why.

'I'll Be Gone In The Dark', from HBO is worth checking out. A documentary following Michelle McNamara as she works on her book about the Golden State Killer while simultaneously trying to crack the decades old case too. It focuses heavily on his victims as well as Michelle as she struggles with the toll the case is taking on her, rather than the killer himself. Very good and sad in equal measure.

11 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

'I'll Be Gone In The Dark', from HBO is worth checking out. A documentary following Michelle McNamara as she works on her book about the Golden State Killer while simultaneously trying to crack the decades old case too. It focuses heavily on his victims as well as Michelle as she struggles with the toll the case is taking on her, rather than the killer himself. Very good and sad in equal measure.

Second this, just finished and enjoyed it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Spielberg documentary being shown on Sk Arts a few times has me thinking about blocking and direction, especially with the clip from Duel. The diner scene. The zoom, the view of the man walking back to his truck from inside, the cut back to the protagonist staring far out with stress, it's slick, effortless, cinematic, classic perfection. For the greats they've got to form that language, for the rest they've got the greats to learn from and they still can't do it. It's something i'm really intrested in, composition in film really matters to me to the degree where i start to resent films that are lazy with it and adore those that care.

Spielberg knows how to move the camera and you never see it, you're just engaged. You only notice it in films when it's bad and you're not engaged, although then you blame the story, the script, the acting, not the camerawork.

I liked this video

It goes some way to explaining why i don't like JJ Abrams films, i find him a very hollow director who moves the camera with little effect. I'm fascinated by the multiple ways to direct a scene to increase the impact, all through invisible camerawork. It'd be fascinating to see the same scripts handed out to various directors who are then all given the same budget to develop and shoot it. What story elements would change, how different the locations would be. I've long wanted to see something like this, the closest we get is the combined shorts with stories shot around the same theme. Or..well remakes and another adaptation of the same book. 

Super 8 is a poorly directed film where it seems JJ Abrams hasn't really thought out scenes. The flatness of Marvel films is not new, but i liked the comparison to how you do it right. Again Spielberg example uses background, foreground, reveals in a scene seamlessly. Diagonal view with heads popping into view is so simple but cinematic.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly missed this last night tucked away at 10pm on BBC Four, but its on the iPlayer now. Its branded as Storyville. 

Pepe the Frog - Feels good man

I'd seen the image around but I had no idea about the context. This subject is something I'd struggle to explain to my parents really, or anyone over a certain age group, its completely baffling, intriguing, annoying and damn right ridiculous a story about something from the internet you are ever likely to find. 

I've never used 4chan, but heard of it. Fuck me. There is a guy on here called Miles/Mills, what a cunt. There is an unintentionally hilarious and then worrying scene where he attempts to demonstrate how he can just do "what the fuck he likes because I don't care" (after his mum has made him his lunch) and then proceeds to kick a brown paper bag around in his Silence of the Lambs/Se7en inspired bedroom in front of a poor cat, perched on the bed, that looks petrified that they are next to be attacked. I hope this twat dies an early death inside his shithole room and that the cat eats his remains.

One thing I will say about the audio on this, it was a bit shit. Either my hearing or the mix, but Matt Furie's voice operates either on an audio range I can't perceive properly, or that it badly clashes with the music that is all over this. Why there is a need to make documentaries and have loads of music playing whilst the person is talking is beyond me, but its here to stay clearly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000nwrq/storyville-pepe-the-frog-feels-good-man

p.s. the Cypto Rare Pepe shit went straight over my head, I've no idea what they are on about or why, but I don't think they explained it very well to be honest,.

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I have no idea what any of that means but it sounds intriguing. 

Basically Pepe was a cute frog cartoon that got co-opted into a far right meme, much to the horror of its original creator. 

The film charts how this happened, and the artist’s attempts to reclaim Pepe as a symbol of hope. 

It’s also a fascinating look at how Trumpism and the modern far-right scene developed from the darker recesses of 4 Chan “for the LOLs”.

I didn’t really understand the crypto stuff either, and they probably could have skipped that. 

C87E9B97-111B-4878-A593-8E053D3FDB75.jpeg.c0c6a0f596200f0e0469ce82a05b67ea.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Pepe doc this week too, genuinely fascinating. Perfect happy ending this week with Trump losing too! 

The tactless jovial Danish cartoonist saying 'that must really suck for you huh' at Comic Con really made me laugh for some reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I completely missed this episode of Catching a Killer when it was on Channel 4 so have only just watched it. It's a documentary observing the police investigation into the deaths of two neighbours in Buckinghamshire, separated by 18 months. One of the two wrote detailed, articulate journals right up to his death which form a large part of the narration. It's 80-odd minutes long.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/catching-a-killer/on-demand/67116-002

I don't want to give too much away to anyone who didn't see anything about the case in the news at the time, but it's utterly gripping. It may be distressing to anyone with elderly relatives.

• 1 month later...