rllmuk
CS2x

Twin Peaks

Are there any good blogs where they write about what's happening each week, with theories and stuff about what's going on?

All I seem to find are loads of synopsises (?) when i look but I haven't found much good analysis.  

Yeah, I found a few forum discussions, was looking for something a little more curated - like the opinion of one person who really knows his stuff ... I guess those guys just make podcasts and Youtubes now rather than write articles which is a shame because sometimes I just want to read so I can go through things at my own pace. 

• Upvote 1

I know how much rllmuk loves David Chen. Him and Jo have started a podcast called Peaks TV. First episode was good. More a scene by scene breakdown and analysis than heavy theorising though. And like A Cast of Kings, very mindful to avoid spoilers.

5 hours ago, Mentazm said:

I know how much rllmuk loves David Chen. 

Is that a joke?

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Do you have to ask?

Lol. No. But I may be the only one offended by his earnest opportunism.

14 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Are there any good blogs where they write about what's happening each week, with theories and stuff about what's going on?

All I seem to find are loads of synopsises (?) when i look but I haven't found much good analysis.  

The Idle Thumbs guy's Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast is great.

I'm re-watching this and I'm pleased to say I'm enjoying it a lot more. It actually hangs together as a narrative a lot more than it did on first blush. Unfortunately I watched it with a real TW obsessive first time through who cackled over most of it and hooted whenever a classic character appeared. Undercut the whole thing!

I've started watching this from the beginning, after getting about 4 or 5 episodes into it last year some time. Episode 1 is wonderful, a master stroke in building a mystery that keeps you wanting to know more, drip feeding you little details throughout. Every performance is terrific, particularly Kyle MacLachlan as the FBI agent who is always one step ahead of the viewer. It introduces so many characters in such a small amount of time, but each is memorable in their own way.

I seem to recall losing interest as it became a little difficult to follow, so I'm going to pay more attention this time.

• Upvote 1

I binged this over the weekend, loved season one and I'm up to season two epi 12-ish "The Black Widow" and the quality has seriously dropped off. Gonna stick with it cos I've come this far, but you can really feel the absence of the show's creators at this point. Can't wait to catch up to the new episodes. 

Show highlights have been 

Spoiler

the agent that Sheriff Truman punches explaining his life ethos to him, Cooper saying you should give yourself a present every day, Andy getting hit in the head with the board, everything about season one episode three, the season one cliff hanger, Hawk coming to the rescue at One Eyed Jacks, Andy using his gun correctly, shit I could go on and on tbh. Damn good show. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I binged this over the weekend, loved season one and I'm up to season two epi 12-ish "The Black Widow" and the quality has seriously dropped off. Gonna stick with it cos I've come this far, but you can really feel the absence of the show's creators at this point. Can't wait to catch up to the new episodes. 

It does pull itself together right at the end, when Lynch came back to sort things out. It's a bit of an effort to get there though, but it's worth it.

• Upvote 1

People doing a rewatch really should skip to the finale after the killer is revealed. Then watch FWWM. Or better yet, if you've seen them before, watch FWWM first.

Yeah, I re-watched series 2 in that way. The last episode is incredible mind you, so make sure you watch that.

There is a lovely hint that series 2 is about to go off a cliff when 

Spoiler

you see David Lynch in character as Gordon Cole actually saying goodbye to the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department. It's the first scene in the episode where the killer is revealed. He says 'It sure was nice getting to know you fellas" and then walks out. 

(season 2 mid-season spoiler above) 

• Upvote 1

At least bad Season 2 had:

Mad Ben Horne. That redeems it slightly, but obviously not enough for the godawful James Hurley plotline.

At least bad Season 2 had:

Mad Ben Horne. That redeems it slightly, but obviously not enough for the godawful James Hurley plotline.

Or little Nicky, or yellowface.
  • Upvote 1

This made me re-watch Fire Walk With Me because it's the only David Lynch thing I've not found fascinating.

Still poop.

While FWWM doesn't appeal to everyone it's definitely worth watching as it makes Season 3 a little more understandable.

I'm yet to watch the extra film made from the extensive deleted scenes from FWWM, although I don't expect anything in Season 3 to relate to that.

This made me re-watch Fire Walk With Me because it's the only David Lynch thing I've not found fascinating.

Still poop.

Get out now.
  • Upvote 6

I hadn't seen FWWM since its release but I made sure to watch it again before the new series and blow me if it isn't actually pretty great. It got me wondering why I didn't like it the first time around? I think it's probably got a lot to do with the internet and how you can now be more informed if you go out and search for the information. So much of TP went over my head the first time around and we didn't have the option back then of having people (internet nerds!) pick apart the finer points of what the hell was going on.

56 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Still poop.

Suffered some bumps on the old noggin, eh, Alex?

• Upvote 2

My wife keeps catching the end of episodes, she just saw 

Spoiler

Josie turn into Bob and then the dwarf and then a doorknob. >_<

I've ordered Fire Walk With Me thinking she can watch that and have a decent enough idea of whats what before we start the new episodes, or just be completely put off the whole thing. Season two is a real struggle though, sure there are some bits to enjoy here and there, but without the Lynch its just a trashy soap (makes me miss Sunset Beach).

• Upvote 1