The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

Wish I lived that close to Beak.

I've been toying with the idea of cycling down to the tap room (from London) as a fun way to spend a hot Saturday, although getting back might end up being an issue...

31 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I've been toying with the idea of cycling down to the tap room (from London) as a fun way to spend a hot Saturday, although getting back might end up being an issue...

direct London trains from Lewis :eyebrows:

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

You'd be a better man than me if you can do this - even 1 way

In a month or two Beak (and Harveys obviously )  will be joined in Lewes by Abyss' Taproom - their beers are excellent as well if you see them around

On 08/07/2021 at 19:59, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve not actually been that taken with the Stingo series so far, but other than that it’s still top notch. Need to do a beer shop run tomorrow as my supply is low again and I think I have some SMOD put aside. 

Including the latest apricot one? I haven't tried any of the others but the can of this that I had this evening was delicious. Are you generally a sour fan?

I think it might even be my favourite beer genre at the moment. The can of Exale's Gose For Glory that I had in my HB&B sub box last month was absolutely spectacular, and then sadly I couldn't find any stock anywhere to buy more.

12 hours ago, hmm said:

Including the latest apricot one? I haven't tried any of the others but the can of this that I had this evening was delicious. Are you generally a sour fan?

I think it might even be my favourite beer genre at the moment. The can of Exale's Gose For Glory that I had in my HB&B sub box last month was absolutely spectacular, and then sadly I couldn't find any stock anywhere to buy more.

Yeah, I am generally a sour fan. Maybe I’ve just spoilt other sours for myself by getting into Vault City lately but just feel both the SMOD Stingos I had didn’t hit the mark for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

Gonna be in Manchester in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for bars / pubs to get great beer?

You can get Wander Beyond stuff in cans and on tap at the Knott Bar. Cloudwater tap room is well worth a visit (also the bottle shop which is a walk in fridge). 

If you're outside of the city centre then there's a couple of good bars in Altrincham, Pi & The Belgium bar out by the markets.

Cloudwater have a new place open- Sadler’s cat, near Victoria station. 

Vocation have recently opened a bar in Society (indoor street food type place) and it’s excellent. 

Fierce have opened in the Northern Quarter in the last year. Northern Monk are there too. Beatnikz republic are on the same street as Northern Monk and worth a visit. 

Port street beer house always have a great selection on. As does Beermoth cafe off Market street (they have a takeout shop in the Northern Quarter too).

I was in Morrisons and noticed they had a new Vocation beer, Wave After Wave.

Will be trying it tonight.

Rumours of another indie buy out by AB-inBev, sadly it's being linked to Northern Monk.

1 hour ago, memories said:

Rumours of another indie buy out by AB-inBev, sadly it's being linked to Northern Monk.

AB-inBev are like Taco Bell in Demolition Man, in the future all beer will be AB-inBev :(

7 hours ago, memories said:

Nice enough, but that's all I could say about it to be honest.

Having a Vocation Smash & Grab DIPA now and it's so much better.

I've not tried Vocation in many years, but they definitely strike me as a brewery geared towards supermarkets these days. Not that that's a bad thing, I buy plenty of supermarket beer, but they seem to fit that sort of in-between place for me. When I'm buying beer from the supermarket, it's Punk IPA or the German/Belgian offerings, not the £3-3.50 'craft' cans. 

Although the blueberry breakfast stout they do in Tesco is pretty damn good.

To be fair, they do some cracking sours, and I've also enjoyed a few cans of their Duopolis in the relatively recent past. Certainly wouldn't be in any rush to buy much of the rest of their range these days though.

Their pubs are still usually an acceptable option but that's more because they have a good range of guests and the food is decent enough.

I think that craft fundamentally doesn't scale up, unfortunately - pretty much by definition, I suppose, but certainly in practice.

They usually have a good range of guests in their bars but at absolutely obscene prices. Think they boost them to try and steer punters to their own stuff.

The one in Soho wanted £7.50 for a pint of Lost and Grounded Helles.

What the fuck is that pricing about?!

15 hours ago, Isaac said:

Fuck Brewdog.

Yeah, they're a bunch of cunts but I just can't ignore the value of Punk IPA. It's probably not the beer it once was but I still enjoy it and nothing else comes close to the price.

In an ideal world all the beer I drink would be from smaller breweries like Elusive, Neptune, Lost and Grounded etc etc but I simply can't afford to do that.

Plus I like to occasionally have the fridge full of beers that I can just grab a can, crack it open and drink from the can without worrying about pouring it into a glass and properly evaluating it. I find it really hard to do that when I've paid £4-5 for a can of something really nice.

I do have some very strange opinions on beer, to be honest. :lol:

56 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

You like punk better then life and death?

Not necessarily. Life & Death is arguably the better beer now, but it's £1.80 a can versus £1 for Punk. When I want a beer like Punk that 80p a can makes a big difference.

I honestly find the switch to somewhat more expensive and higher percentage craft beers has made me a far more sensible drinker. Not that I was exactly a raging alcoholic in the first place but I'll very rarely have more than one in a single evening now, and a monthly subscription box of 12 does tend to last at least 3 weeks. I'm also generally savouring individual beers much more.

I think I'd much rather have one genuinely good IPA than three Punks nowadays.