The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

On 28/05/2021 at 21:27, minstrels said:

Brew York are a great brewery, but they're definitely of that new wave of breweries that get by mostly on gimmick beers. Try and seek out their 'normal' beers if you can, they do a great American Pale and West Coast IPA.

Shame really. Most of the ideas are ok, or at least it's plausible that a decent beer could result, but they seem to be entirely unfamiliar with the concept of subtlety. The chocolate nougat one I tried last night was not pleasant, unless you enjoy drinking liquidised cake.

In comparison, I've enjoyed almost everything I've had in my Brew By Numbers sub boxes, apart from one orange sour that I didn't get on with so much. They had some amazing coffee porters last month and are often fairly experimental, alongside the more standard IPAs.

Finishing off a fine, hot, holiday weekend with a few cans from NYC good guys Finback and some chilled garden jazz courtesy of John Dyer/Witch Egg. 

Nice. 

20210531_182127.thumb.jpg.ccfcc5983228202870a655d6bbb92746.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, memories said:

Seems like Cloudwater probably knew about this and did nothing as well...

Didn't stop them going into bed with Brewdog and having them brew Cloudwater beer for Tesco etc.

Pretty shitty of them all things considered.

On 10/06/2021 at 14:34, memories said:

Seems like Cloudwater probably knew about this and did nothing as well...

I think you have to consider whether you can drive any change at all by simply opting out of the process.

The point of Cloudwater going in with the contract brewing was in part to get smaller, minority owned breweries a source of income that would allow them to grow and set up in a way they wouldn't have had the opportunity to do otherwise. There's very few ways they could have done that particularly as Brewdog & Tesco have a pre-existing arrangement and the scale to be able to take it on.

There's no point having an individualistic approach to this stuff, you either use your priviledge to build people up, as Cloudwater have done, or you do nothing. There's very little benefit to throwing away that priviledge to be more authentic, or to show how much you really care.

Complaining that Cloudwater haven't "done something" comes across a bit "oh, but you use an iPhone.. ." and just serves to tear down one of the few breweries actually trying to set an example.

On 11/06/2021 at 17:05, Gaz said:

I think you have to consider whether you can drive any change at all by simply opting out of the process.

The point of Cloudwater going in with the contract brewing was in part to get smaller, minority owned breweries a source of income that would allow them to grow and set up in a way they wouldn't have had the opportunity to do otherwise. There's very few ways they could have done that particularly as Brewdog & Tesco have a pre-existing arrangement and the scale to be able to take it on.

There's no point having an individualistic approach to this stuff, you either use your priviledge to build people up, as Cloudwater have done, or you do nothing. There's very little benefit to throwing away that priviledge to be more authentic, or to show how much you really care.

Complaining that Cloudwater haven't "done something" comes across a bit "oh, but you use an iPhone.. ." and just serves to tear down one of the few breweries actually trying to set an example.

A very tidy summary. 

CW remain the most progressive and socially conscientious brewery in the UK by some margin. If they have canned the brewing contract with Brewdog then I hope they can find some other arrangement for the small breweries that really, really, appreciated getting their beer in front of a huge market. 

Anyways, onto beer. There is another flood of Other Half cans and kegs in the country  thanks to Hop City. Little Leeds have some fair value packs as they have a pretty tight relationship with them but I'm sure other bottle shops/distros will get some too. 

Anyone got recommendations for a decent bottle shop in or near Alnwick? Going to Northumberland on holiday in a week or so but don’t fancy taking up beers and having them sat in the car all day so would rather pick some up when I get there. Not had much luck finding anything in Alnwick from a quick search. 

If you're making a trip o'er the border the bottle shop in Kelso is great, recommend Traquair Jacobite and Tempest for local brews. However it's 40 miles away so you'd need to be heading that way, the town and Floors castle are nice.

9 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Anyone got recommendations for a decent bottle shop in or near Alnwick? Going to Northumberland on holiday in a week or so but don’t fancy taking up beers and having them sat in the car all day so would rather pick some up when I get there. Not had much luck finding anything in Alnwick from a quick search. 

There's a couple of decent bottle shops in Morpeth, I'm sure.

Anyone else here a member of the big UKCBF Facebook group? Been quite a weekend by all accounts.

The guy Paul McDermott who started it has outed himself as a racist in some private messages to the guy who runs Rock Leopard brewing and it's all kicked off.

He tried a piss poor apology and was called out for that too. He's finally stepped down, left and handed the thing over to others thankfully.

Loads of folk posting about how they finally feel safe to post now he's gone.

Total shit show but hopefully it comes out the other side a better place to be.

To follow up on the above it's almost magically changed so much in even just the last few days, lots more beers being posted and discussed, busiest I've seen it in a long time.

The Supermarket version looks to have been closed off though, not sure if that's a permanent thing.

I do like that group and I am a member @memories but I can't stand Facebook so don't check it as much as I should.

I really wish that there was an active UK craft beer subreddit really, it's quite strange that there isn't one.

Yeah Facebook is a shitshow no doubt about that.

Might be worth at least giving that group another go though, been a tremendous change in just a few days, hopefully it can be sustained.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a bit a bit of a break from craft beer and been drinking Modelo as my football beer, but dipped my toes back in with some Saint Mars

I've said it before, but these guys are so consistent at putting out good products that its well worth picking some up if you can.

20210708_125359.jpg

I’ve not actually been that taken with the Stingo series so far, but other than that it’s still top notch. Need to do a beer shop run tomorrow as my supply is low again and I think I have some SMOD put aside. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the best pale ale I think I've had all summer so far yesterday.

image.thumb.png.7570af590e4f16e2eafa7dbb57efd292.png

Treated myself to Beak's latest pale and it's beautiful. Perfect balance between smooth, fluffiness and abv for me.