The Beer Thread

On 19/04/2021 at 09:15, cowfields said:

Oh that's worth a trip then. Coppers are a little further away from me but looks interesting enough to give them a visit. If we ever learn to drive then it'd be a bit easier!

Rehills though is 0.5miles from where we live which is so convenient. And the guy serving us looked like he used to be in the Ramones, which was somehow a plus.

Nord Bottle shop out in Whitley Bay if you fancy a short trip to the seaside. 

I'm a bit late but Track have imported more Humble Sea beers over from California. I had a lot of very good hoppy beer last year from hyped, and not so hyped, breweries but Humble Sea were the best of the lot. 

I've continued to buy St Mars of the Desert every time they release, and it's baffling just how good their beers are, they even did a barley wine (a style I'm not overly in love with) that was great.

Latest is this one, and another cracker.

16191228349561313384455391853401.jpg

18 hours ago, skadupuk said:

I've continued to buy St Mars of the Desert every time they release, and it's baffling just how good their beers are, they even did a barley wine (a style I'm not overly in love with) that was great.

Latest is this one, and another cracker.

16191228349561313384455391853401.jpg

Had that last night and it's as good as it is every time they brew it and still as good as anything they have made. Rare to have so much flavour depth with such easy drinkabilty. 

It is so great to see them continue to revisit the beers that earned them so much love and respect back in Boston after the recent fluffy white clouds and finest regards.. 

I shall have the Mole later as its another lovely day here. 

20210422_152748.thumb.jpg.bd27e3dd88e3f11fc4b7024abd4b939d.jpg

It's a very pretty glass and, being local, you have no excuse for not calling in! I made a day trip over the Pennines to visit them in summer 2019 and it was a real treat. Seems like a lifetime ago now.. 

We are opening a bottle of wine later so I'm sneaking in the Mole and, yeah, its another damn near perfect beer and at a very pleasing ABV. Also, the name and graphics are wonderful. 

IMG_20210423_170136_989.thumb.jpg.44d1cdbeaae8e7a0ba993bfac0bb56b4.jpg

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this, in the thread.

I'm getting married next month (29th May). It's a marquee wedding at a private residence, so we have caterers but we are supplying all our own alcohol, with no corkage. 

Pretty sure what we are doing for wine and cocktails (well, one or two post-dinner cocktails) but interested on everyone's thoughts/recommendations for beer.

It's within guidelines (so 30 people total), of which about a third are beer drinkers like me, and I'm determined as it's my wedding I want good, tasty beers not the usual wedding lagers (with a Brewdog if you're lucky).

Given this, and the fact that budget is no option, what do people reckon I should be getting?

There's no keg setup, it'd be bottles/cans, poured into glasses at the bar by waiting staff.

Not all the drinkers are into craft beer, so will definitely need a crowd pleaser - I was thinking something like The Kernal's table beer, but maybe even the new SMOD.

Also, given it's a full traditional wedding with a sit down three-course dinner, and then 4-5 hours of band/dancing after I don't think loading the menu up with 6.5-8% IPAs/DIPAs is going to work, given that it'd just end up with everyone far too drunk far too quickly.

Although I love NEIPAs so would definitely love one or two examples of the style.

I think the main problem is I love too many beers and narrowing down the selection is really tough.

Anybody got any decent recommendations?

Rent a Lindr machine and then get a few bag-in-ball type kegs. It's essentially a wee draught machine with a built-in chiller and air compressor. No gas or chilling required, you just hook up the keg, wait an hour or so, and then pour.

Generally it's used with kegs that use a bag-in-ball set up as it's compressed air so it'll ruin traditional kegs, but if it's a one day event then you'd probably get away with traditional kegs as the event will be over before the beer is spoiled.

https://www.nationalmobilebars.co.uk/pages/equipment-hire

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this, in the thread.

I'm getting married next month (29th May). It's a marquee wedding at a private residence, so we have caterers but we are supplying all our own alcohol, with no corkage. 

Pretty sure what we are doing for wine and cocktails (well, one or two post-dinner cocktails) but interested on everyone's thoughts/recommendations for beer.

It's within guidelines (so 30 people total), of which about a third are beer drinkers like me, and I'm determined as it's my wedding I want good, tasty beers not the usual wedding lagers (with a Brewdog if you're lucky).

Given this, and the fact that budget is no option, what do people reckon I should be getting?

There's no keg setup, it'd be bottles/cans, poured into glasses at the bar by waiting staff.

Not all the drinkers are into craft beer, so will definitely need a crowd pleaser - I was thinking something like The Kernal's table beer, but maybe even the new SMOD.

Also, given it's a full traditional wedding with a sit down three-course dinner, and then 4-5 hours of band/dancing after I don't think loading the menu up with 6.5-8% IPAs/DIPAs is going to work, given that it'd just end up with everyone far too drunk far too quickly.

Although I love NEIPAs so would definitely love one or two examples of the style.

I think the main problem is I love too many beers and narrowing down the selection is really tough.

Anybody got any decent recommendations?

Congrats on the wedding!

I'd go with many slabs of 4-5% pale ales such as the SMOD Mole (but that might already be hard to get in quantity), Deya Steady  Rollin Man or Track Sonoma are can't go wrong  classics, or whatever Beak have available in that strength range (the recent Jot was brilliant). Lots of flavour, not too much ABV seems like the best recipe. Might be worth looking at some lagery vibes too - there are a lot of decent Pilsners out there that would be nice for an early summer's day and evening or anything by Donzonko as they are making some lovely, lovely lager styles.

Maybe a random selection of whatever Duration have available at the mo as they are always decent, and rarely too OTT in weird taste and silly strength.

Throw in a few Wylam DIPA's for a laugh later.

I think we thought about keg set up for our wedding (which got cancelled last year, thanks to the pandemic) but figured out that cans were about as cheap and so much less faff. One big icey trough was enough to get nice cold fizzy beers ready for people. Then again if you have bar staff - our fear was having drunken people trying to pour foamy pints and wasting half of it.

Majestic did a fairly decent set of prices for Thornbridge beers in cans - that way we could get a range of ABVs and decent lagers.  They also sold us ice and the troughs but depends on venue etc.

Thornbridge have a good core craft range I think. Drinkable, nice, not too weird for people. That was our 'budget but not crap' option. Not too fancy but would be good and drinkable. I think we were looking at something like £1.80 per can for a lot of them. We were planning for just over 100 people though and really bloody hoping we had left overs as Majestic had a pretty good sale-or-return policy for any unbroken crate. 

That's a point actually - those plastic keg things, find somewhere that will do sale or return. Then you can just overbuy. We were going to have certain best-people assigned to 'top up' and get extra crates / boxes of booze from a separate location so our guests wouldn't be breaking boxes themselves, and we could hopefully return what we didn't drink. But we also didn't have to worry about running out of drinks at a wedding!

I love a good hazy IPA but to be fair a wedding is a bit of a marathon drinking session so we didn't want anything too strong and have anyone wipe out too early. We were going to buy a selection for ourselves I think but just have the odd one, any bottle shop would have done for that. 

We considered buying direct from Siren though. Siren seem to be one of the best breweries for supplying good "session/core" cans but also weird, short run tall can craft beers, so I could have gotten a bit of everything, but their webshop didn't seem to offer much economy of scale and when I emailed them direct to see if I could get trade prices or something like that due to the volume they ignored me, which I was a bit annoyed by but I guess it's fine. 

No idea what we will do now, as I have no idea when we will plan another 'wedding'. We'll plan something but we ended up having a 6 person ceremony just to actually get it done. But we owe our parents a party! 

Yeah @cowfields I came to basically all the same conclusions you have, in terms of not having a keg (expensive, faff, limited selection, loads of wastage potential).

Given we are only 30 guests, of whom only a third will be on the beer (the rest on wine / sparkling, even post dinner) I figured I can afford to get a selection of really nice cans / bottles, with the bonus that even if I over-order for 30 it's still not going to be an insane amount of beer, and that I'll happily drink it myself later (so don't need sale and return).

Making sure the bar staff on the day pour it properly is going to be a thing though I imagine.

Thanks for the recommendations @Mike S, might have to try a can of the Donzonko to see if I like it ahead of a big order, never had anything from them before. 

Love SMOD though so will happily order 20-25 cans of the Hazy IPA as one of the options, particularly as it's a sensible ABV. 

Probably don't want anything over 6% except as a couple of novelty cans towards the end of the evening, ideally want people to pace themselves. 

I guess the thing I'm struggling with most isn't finding a good beer, but narrowing it down to just a handful I want!

Managed to get the last SMOD Mole supplies from a few different craft beer places (25 cans in total) so apologies to anybody who was looking to pick up a can of that!

This is maybe a silly thing to suggest but perhaps you have a brewery that is personal to you? 

If we were doing the wedding tomorrow catering for about ten drinkers... I'd say we'd want Wylam because we just moved nearby, or Pressure Drop because we just moved away from near them. 

But then I'd wanna get some beers from Three Legs in Rye. They aren't the most amazing but I think the first holiday me and the wife had together involved an 8 mile hike to said brewery from a cottage we were staying at. Significant, you know. 

Most craft breweries taste pretty good in the end... Could go with something with an appropriate name / label / origin. 

We thought about all that but it'd get expensive when catering for perhaps 40+ beer drinkers. 

Loads of scuttlebutt online about this interview with the new marketing guy at Fourpure:

https://www.marketingweek.com/beer-brand-silliness-craft/

“It can be silly [craft beer culture], with people sniffing hops and talking about where the hops are from when a lot of people just want a great beer,” he tells Marketing Week.

“If you’re unfamiliar with what an IPA is or a session IPA or pale ale, that’s confusing enough, but when people put wacky names on top of it, like ‘electric disco forklift truck’ it makes it harder.”

In order to make craft beer more accessible to the masses, he believes some of this “silliness” must be removed.

“It’s great for people in the craft market, but what we’re finding is [the existing players may have] created some rules that are hard for other people to understand,” he adds.

Lion Little World Beverages was established in January as the craft beer division of Australasian brewer Lion and houses four craft brands – Fourpure, Little Creatures, Magic Rock Brewing and New Belgium Brewing.

Mooney describes Fourpure as the company’s “gateway” brand, through which it hopes to welcome new craft beer drinkers. The brand unveiled a new look in 2019, which he describes as cleaner than is standard practice in craft beer to distance itself from the “pretentious image” craft beer can have.

“Fourpure is all about welcoming people and demystifying it, but also taking the piss a little bit out of the silliness in craft,” he adds.

One of the business’s key ambitions is to take a podium finish in retail craft beer sales, which Mooney says will signal the brand’s progress in becoming a household name.

“We want to be in the top three of craft beer brands by 2023. We’re now in the top six. That would mean more than quadrupling revenues. Our off-trade market size is about £8m. We want to get up towards £50m in terms of revenue,” he states.

So, fuck Fourpure I guess.

Their 'liquid' has massively gone down in quality anyway.

On 30/04/2021 at 23:17, El Spatula said:

Wondered why Magic Rock hadn't been releasing stuff for ages. Should have guessed it'd be something like this :(.

Used to love them pretty hard.

Magic Rock sold themselves years ago. I've never found a Fourpure beer I've rated in the past so it's easy enough to continue not drinking their beer. 

I'm positive news, the four Humble Sea beers that Track imported a few weeka ago reassert my belief that they are up their with the very best hop forward breweries in the world right now.

Here's a pic of some of that Pacific fog! :

IMG_20210505_190107_420.thumb.jpg.3d0b098f99c005e95684db403fc52d01.jpg

Whilst I'm here, I HIGHLY recommend Wylam's Pay No Heed To The Drongos as it is magnificent. 

I drank one of each of these at the weekend, sadly underwhelming to be honest.

The Salt was the most disappointing as I really like the others of there's I've tried and hoped this would be on par.

The Vocation was the best one but the Vocation Love/Hate from Tesco is a better Neipa for me.

Personal taste obviously and others may enjoy. Nice to try something new regardless. It's good to see Asda trying something new.

New beers coming to Morrisons this week as well. A couple from Wilde Child brewery announced so far. A chocolate fudge stout and a raspberry cream doughnut pale.

Yep I'm a member of the Facebook group 'Supermarket craft beer' or something like that and all the discussion on the new Salt supermarket tinnies is about how disappointing and bland they are and how they are a real step down compared to Salt's typical quality.

Which is a shame.

I tried the new Cloudwater Tesco tins recently and of them I think the IPA is probably best. It's a very nice IPA, especially for a supermarket brew, although obviously not quite as nice as when they brew it themselves.

I still think the Vocation Love & Hate available in Tesco is the king of supermarket cans though. So much flavour and quality for the price.

I'm finding the same in that a lot of the newest wave of supermarket beers are really underwhelming. I find it especially so for anything that has a higher abv. I feel there is a lot of corner cutting from breweries to make it within the low price that I expect the supermarkets buy it for. Markies stuff has been the pick of the bunch recently, in particular Gose to Hollywood from To Øl, which I thought was way nicer than anything I've had from Asda and Tesco of late, although I do have a couple of bottles of the Vault City sours from Tesco in reserve and I have high hopes for those. 

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yep I'm a member of the Facebook group 'Supermarket craft beer' or something like that and all the discussion on the new Salt supermarket tinnies is about how disappointing and bland they are and how they are a real step down compared to Salt's typical quality.

Which is a shame.

I tried the new Cloudwater Tesco tins recently and of them I think the IPA is probably best. It's a very nice IPA, especially for a supermarket brew, although obviously not quite as nice as when they brew it themselves.

I still think the Vocation Love & Hate available in Tesco is the king of supermarket cans though. So much flavour and quality for the price.

Yeah I'm part of that meme group too on FB:lol:. Missed the Salt posts though. There is also the sister group UKCBF  as well which is an interesting read at times. Place shits the bed whenever a new supermarket beer gets announced.

I've also tried the 4 new CW beers that are in Tesco found the IPA and the Session IPA pretty unexciting but enjoyed the Pale and the DDH Pale.

My favourite supermarket beer at the moment is the Northern Monk Faith in the Future DDH IPA, it's so good.

Agree with others in general though, latest supermarket offerings have been average at best.

17 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I’ve switched to a Teku glass and it’s survived more than one drunken knock on the countertop 

How are the teku glasses out of interest, was looking at them last week and wondering if they are any good.  I have some Spiegelau ones currently