The Beer Thread

5 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Must be a good beer day. 

I needed to top up before the weekend and it was hurried up by the fact St Mars dropped a few cans, one of them reportedly hard to come by so popped by a local bottle shop and got this little haul. Majority are local breweries but also picked up a Vault City who I’ve never had before and a Brew York. 

9FB6767A-E212-4C08-8706-B8B99734215C.thumb.jpeg.f017f65b51e40d2a2bcdc9ec73d6646b.jpeg

Looking forward to the new St Mars when my local bottle shop gets them in (hopefully for the weekend). Clamp is always great but I am very much looking forward to the Confounded Mr Sisyphus.

More Trillium on the way too so that'll be nice.

17 hours ago, Isaac said:

Cloudwater have got a new 9-pack with a load of Trillium beers available on their secret shop:

https://shop.cloudwaterbrew.co/products/trillium-event-pack

I imagine it'll sell out pretty sharpish. I ordered one.

I just bought this.

And a box from Beak.

And a box from St Mars of the Desert.

All because of this thread, this thread is a bad influence.

Anyone tried anything from Good Time Brewing?

Follow them on FB and the beers look good, probably going to put in an order next time I'm stocking up the fridge.

Some new additions coming to Tesco beer range on Monday, well officially Monday as some places seem to have them already.

This is hopefully particularly good...

Screenshot_20210305-141550.jpg

20210306_161631.thumb.jpg.fcff2b467cc3f2f1aab5ff9f7fa91499.jpg

This is damn near perfect and a warmish afternoon (7 degrees!) and blue skies make it even more enjoyable. Shame that the noise from at least three, much larger than allowed, garden piss ups in the area is so distracting.. 

Depsite having a fridge stocked with some hot hype from the US and UK this was always getting drunk first as new SMOD has been a little while coming. 

Looking forward to their cherry beer later. 

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

20210306_161631.thumb.jpg.fcff2b467cc3f2f1aab5ff9f7fa91499.jpg

This is damn near perfect and a warmish afternoon (7 degrees!) and blue skies make it even more enjoyable. Shame that the noise from at least three, much larger than allowed, garden piss ups in the area is so distracting.. 

Depsite having a fridge stocked with some hot hype from the US and UK this was always getting drunk first as new SMOD has been a little while coming. 

Looking forward to their cherry beer later. 

I ordered 3 of these and 3 of Clamp, given it was one I would have almost certainly loved the Cherry beer was only sold to bottleshops(I only found out it existed after I'd ordered) and the delivery cost for a couple of cans from one of them would make it too expensive, especially given recent spends.

If you could pretend it's shit to make me feel better that would be appreciated.

Just now, skadupuk said:

I ordered 3 of these and 3 of Clamp, given it was one I would have almost certainly loved the Cherry beer was only sold to bottleshops(I only found out it existed after I'd ordered) and the delivery cost for a couple of cans from one of them would make it too expensive, especially given recent spends.

If you could pretend it's shit to make me feel better that would be appreciated.

I've had three or four iterations of clamp now, maybe more, and all have been brilliant. And this hoppy Belgian is as good a beer as I've had in a good while (and I've been blessed to have some very, very decent booze recently) so I think you'll be very happy with these two. In fact, this is so good I'm going to text my bottle shop for another can. 

Dann and Martha are the absolute real deal and, as well as being lovely, friendly, folk they are making some of the most carefully crafted, genuinely brilliant beer in the UK just now. I hear the next batch of their deservedly renowned Jack D'Or will be the closest to the original Boston recipe that they havemade since moving to the UK so keep a heads up for that when it releases.

Can someone recommend me a really refreshing crisp beer? 

I bought a pack of Pilsner from Brew By Numbers.. but it tastes really soapy to me. I really love German/Belgium beers - so bought some Westmalle (not having tried them before) and its way too strong and tastes really, really bitter.

So something.. refreshing, tasty and not full of chemicals would be ace.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. :)

14 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Can someone recommend me a really refreshing crisp beer? 

I bought a pack of Pilsner from Brew By Numbers.. but it tastes really soapy to me. I really love German/Belgium beers - so bought some Westmalle (not having tried them before) and its way too strong and tastes really, really bitter.

So something.. refreshing, tasty and not full of chemicals would be ace.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. :)

Lost and Grounded, Newbarns, Braybrooke, Utopian and Donzoko all do fantastic lagers.

I remember when I was studying in Germany we had a house party and bought about 20 crates of an awful lager called Oettinger because it was so cheap. In fact I think you would often see it on those maps of “most popular beer in each country” representing Germany as it was just a student party staple. 

Had a To Øl Chugwork Orange last Friday 

Vanilla, orange, and lactose swirled together to make a sunny orange creamsicle reminiscent of your childhood, now thankfully reimagined in an alcoholic form. Though the sun in our sky may be gone for a while, the golden glow is well alive right here in this delicious brew!

(not my photo)

image.png.7d33ead27b9012b0cf35ca2251877e36.png

3.4%, tastes indistinguishable from a Solero. Gorgeous!

Have those that had them drunk their Trillium's yet?

The Fort Point is a straight up banger and, for me, much more drinkable than than the various dry hopped variants i've had over the years. Second best was the Vitamin Sea collab DIPA which had a very heady wet dog in a damp and mouldy graveyard nose but tasted pretty much perfect with exactly the righ balance of sweet hit and than a bitter finish that I am looking for. The big, fruity 'Berliner Weisse' was a massive and pretty ace fruit bomb and all the better for being anti beer style. 'Scaled' was average by Trillium standards but still really bloody drinkable and very, very 'fluffy'...

The CW stream was as entertaining and informative as ever and nice to finish with drunk Paul's confirmation that they WILL be bringing Russian River over some day...

Ooh, Russian River. Would need to get in on that. 

I visited the brewery in Santa Rosa a few years back with my cousin before I appreciated what a big deal Russian River are and attempted to do an 18 beer tasting paddle but fell short by a couple as there were some very strong beers included. 

Sadly it was before I was using Untappd so I have no record of what I drank and the memories are a little hazy. Great pizza at the brewery too. 

On 10/03/2021 at 23:30, Mike S said:

Have those that had them drunk their Trillium's yet?

The Fort Point is a straight up banger and, for me, much more drinkable than than the various dry hopped variants i've had over the years. Second best was the Vitamin Sea collab DIPA which had a very heady wet dog in a damp and mouldy graveyard nose but tasted pretty much perfect with exactly the righ balance of sweet hit and than a bitter finish that I am looking for. The big, fruity 'Berliner Weisse' was a massive and pretty ace fruit bomb and all the better for being anti beer style. 'Scaled' was average by Trillium standards but still really bloody drinkable and very, very 'fluffy'...

The CW stream was as entertaining and informative as ever and nice to finish with drunk Paul's confirmation that they WILL be bringing Russian River over some day...

Not yet, I typically try and keep my drinking to the weekend, but will try a few tonight.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Having said that, I did sneak a can of this in on Wednesday:

image.png.1815abef7fb68c2642269079a4c7a57d.png

Which was a really, really nice example of a new england pale ale. Not too strong either at only 5.8%. I think I'll pick a few more up for when I want a lighter beer.

I tried the trillium beers, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind but to be honest to my tastes I was pretty disappointed.

None of them were bad beers, but I expected that the Americans would be a step ahead and yet I've had significantly better beers from the likes of Wylam, Neon Raptor and Pressure Drop this year.

That Neon Raptor pale was a much, much better beer than the Trillium pale for my tastes, for example.

That isn't to say the Trillium beers were bad, they were just fine. Perhaps I'd built them up too much in my head.

I haven't got to the Trillium beers yet, I've tried the St Mars and really loved the Bier De Mars (Clamp was great too), and have had most of the Cloudwater beers that came in the Trillium pack (just not the Chubbles) and I enjoyed them, but only the I've Forgot my Name really stood out from the crowd.

Probably be working through the Beak beers next, Trillium will probably be next weekend (Isaac's tempered my expectations, so I'll see how they go) 

I've tried the 3 Beak beers (Stangers, Locals, Parade) and really enjoyed them, I saw someone on Insta describe them as a brewery that is producing some of the best 5-6% beers and that rings true.

Of the two I'd say St Mars is a cut above, though I'll defintely be trying others in each brewery's range. 

Beak tap room reopening next month - some amazing street food at weekends there as well

Local rivals(?) Abyss opening up a tap room about a mile away as well - promising live events and Mexican food

On 13/03/2021 at 06:18, Isaac said:

That Neon Raptor pale was a much, much better beer than the Trillium pale for my tastes, for example.

Woah!

Fort Point is an absolute classic of the style and one of the modern US beers that the UK scene has been trying to copy ever since it was released. It has a delicacy and freshness that I have found to be exceedingly rare in the UK - Wylam, Deya, and CW have certainly gotten it right a few times and Verdant released a spectacular Pale last summer (who's name I forget) but very few others stand out. I find Neon Raptor to be very much chasers rather than innovators, especially currently as the beer they are making just now is being dictated by an overstock of certain hop varietals.

I'd probably not compare Fort Point with the Neon Raptor though as the double dry hopping makes it quite a different style. 

On 13/03/2021 at 10:21, OneDvBmbr said:

I had Biere de Mars last night and thought it was fantastic. If you close your eyes you can imagine being in a bar in Brussels. 

Agree, I thought it was yet another incredible beer form them.

2 hours ago, Brunceling said:

Beak tap room reopening next month - some amazing street food at weekends there as well

Local rivals(?) Abyss opening up a tap room about a mile away as well - promising live events and Mexican food

I'd like to visit them as they have making some very fine beers since they got their proper brewery set up but they are so far away from me it is very hard to justify a trip.

On 11/03/2021 at 10:21, OneDvBmbr said:

attempted to do an 18 beer tasting paddle but fell short by a couple as there were some very strong beers included. 

!!!

I would be more surprised at people getting through 18 beers in a sitting!

1/3rds I guess?

30 minutes ago, Mike S said:

!!!

I would be more surprised at people getting through 18 beers in a sitting!

1/3rds I guess?

Even smaller than that I think. 

I actually found an old photo, which I’d put a rubbish Instagram filter on, and it’s hard to tell the scale. And looks like it was 17, not 18. 

I did say I had hazy memories...

I remember it being pitched as one half being a “California” flight and the other half “Belgian” style. 

5D4BF55B-FA07-4655-B2B4-4F4DA63DC346.thumb.jpeg.3b1e787a64862a1fb61caa9ad8a0dea6.jpeg

35 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Even smaller than that I think. 

I actually found an old photo, which I’d put a rubbish Instagram filter on, and it’s hard to tell the scale. And looks like it was 17, not 18. 

I did say I had hazy memories...

I remember it being pitched as one half being a “California” flight and the other half “Belgian” style. 

5D4BF55B-FA07-4655-B2B4-4F4DA63DC346.thumb.jpeg.3b1e787a64862a1fb61caa9ad8a0dea6.jpeg

Colour me jealous.

That is quite the selection and one that would induce much stress in me as I'd worry about them warming up, or the carbonation decaying or any other effect from being poured a good while before I get to them.

I was supposed to take a trip over to San Francisco on a holiday with my sister in 2019 but work got in the way so we postponed till 2020. Maybe next year now. Either way I had encouraged her that a trip up north to visit Russian River would be a fine day out. That, Rare Barrel, and Cellarmaker in SF were my treats, the rest of the time would be her choices as I've visited before but it will be her first time over there. Last time I was there was well before I even knew this sort of beer was a thing and, to be fair, it may not have been bar RR so really looking forward to the trip whenever it happens.  

11 hours ago, Mike S said:

Woah!

Fort Point is an absolute classic of the style and one of the modern US beers that the UK scene has been trying to copy ever since it was released. It has a delicacy and freshness that I have found to be exceedingly rare in the UK - Wylam, Deya, and CW have certainly gotten it right a few times and Verdant released a spectacular Pale last summer (who's name I forget) but very few others stand out. I find Neon Raptor to be very much chasers rather than innovators, especially currently as the beer they are making just now is being dictated by an overstock of certain hop varietals.

I'd probably not compare Fort Point with the Neon Raptor though as the double dry hopping makes it quite a different style. 

As I said, it's probably a personal preference thing. I really didn't rate the Fort Point that much at all, certainly didn't find it that remarkable when I had it. Whilst I can appreciate it had a big impact on the scene, perhaps times have moved on? Or I just had a dodgy batch. 

I'd imagine I'd like the DDH Fort Point a lot more.

Think it's a bit cheeky to call something that's 6.6% a pale ale too, but there's probably a reason for that I'm totally missing. It just tasted like an NEIPA to me.

But I'm also not convinced that something hasn't been lost in the journey across the Atlantic. I'm sure I'd like them a lot more if I tried them in MA.

Whilst a totally different style, I had the Parade by Beak yesterday evening and again, that's an incredible beer. Probably one of my favourite beers I've had this year. I can see they've just put out a double IPA I need to try too.

On 07/03/2021 at 19:53, OneDvBmbr said:

@Dirty Harry Potter

If you’re looking for something British, then I rate Thornbridge’s Lukas which is a Helles style beer. Great BBQ accompaniment I found last summer. 

If you want to go German, then I like Rothaus Tannenzäpfle/Pils. 

I bought some of the Thornbridge Lukas - and that was just the ticket... Lovely beer, thank you :wub: