The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

1 hour ago, minstrels said:

I've only had one of their beers so far, but it was absolutely brilliant.

https://blog.micmcgrorty.dev/beak-brewery-horses

Yeah, that was lovely. 

I've been fortunate to have tried most of their beers after introducing the manager of my local bottle shop/bar to them early last year which lead to him stocking them. Had similar success with him St Mars too which was even more awesome... 

Be nice to have been able to drink them with company in said bottle shop but that day will come round again. 

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

Yeah, that was lovely. 

I've been fortunate to have tried most of their beers after introducing the manager of my local bottle shop/bar to them early last year which lead to him stocking them. Had similar success with him St Mars too which was even more awesome... 

Be nice to have been able to drink them with company in said bottle shop but that day will come round again. 

You’ve done well there then because even a couple of the bottle shops I use in the Sheffield area don’t always stock SMOD. They seem to be taking a bit of a break at the moment, not seen anything new from them for a month or so. 

There was a fantastic long read about the brewery that I saw yesterday. 

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/8/20/everything-in-its-right-place-the-brewery-of-st-mars-of-the-desert-sheffield

16 hours ago, minstrels said:

Do it!

I've just received 24 Black Eagle from Brew York so I'll definitely be having a couple of those tonight.

Didnt in the end last night but definitely will be tonight.

Last day in my job and start a new one on Monday so a wee bit of a celebration drink in order.

18 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

You’ve done well there then because even a couple of the bottle shops I use in the Sheffield area don’t always stock SMOD. They seem to be taking a bit of a break at the moment, not seen anything new from them for a month or so. 

There was a fantastic long read about the brewery that I saw yesterday. 

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/8/20/everything-in-its-right-place-the-brewery-of-st-mars-of-the-desert-sheffield

Oh yeah, we are very fortunate.

I think it was just my mate pestering for a while and then lockdown perhaps pushing them into wider distribution as before that it was like hen's teeth on this side of the Pennines. I visited the brewery/tap back at the end of summer 2019 and Dann, without any prompting, took ten minutes or so to show me round the place which was very decent of him. We then chatted design with Martha, before sitting in the sun enjoying their beer. There are few as dedicated to tradition yet so forward facing as Dann.

Good people.

Will have a read of that Pellicle piece later, ta.

4 hours ago, memories said:

Didnt in the end last night but definitely will be tonight.

Last day in my job and start a new one on Monday so a wee bit of a celebration drink in order.

Enjoy! and congrats on the new job!

I'm going to try one of Cloudwater's very weird sounding 6th birthday black TIPA's tonight...

Chin chin!

17 hours ago, Mike S said:

Enjoy! and congrats on the new job!

I'm going to try one of Cloudwater's very weird sounding 6th birthday black TIPA's tonight...

Chin chin!

I ordered that exact same birthday pack, with the free t-shirt. 

How was it? I might crack into one later.

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

I ordered that exact same birthday pack, with the free t-shirt. 

How was it? I might crack into one later.

I had the simcoe and mosaic one and it was great although quite odd. It looks and feels like a stout, and mostly tastes like one, but then you get these weird hop hits over the top which make for a whole new taste. Once you lean into the oddness it is as a very pleasing experience...

Not one for the style purists for sure but good fun and a great use for a batch of the MCI base stout that wasn't quite up to spec.

Anyone tried the Hop Burns & Black subscription box before, All Killer No Filler? Just signed up, and I think the next boxes are going out in the second half of next week. Little bit expensive, as these things go, but the previous collections all seem great so I'm looking forward to it.

(Annoyingly, I'm a couple of miles outside their free delivery zone, so the P&P jumps from nothing to a slightly eye-watering £8!)

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Anyone tried the Hop Burns & Black subscription box before, All Killer No Filler? Just signed up, and I think the next boxes are going out in the second half of next week. Little bit expensive, as these things go, but the previous collections all seem great so I'm looking forward to it.

(Annoyingly, I'm a couple of miles outside their free delivery zone, so the P&P jumps from nothing to a slightly eye-watering £8!)

Not yet, but that's my local bottle shop and I'm constantly ordering from them, and have had it in my basket several times.

Do you mind letting me know what you get? Would love to see if it's worth subbing to.

I really should pop into this thread more often. I have an Instagram page where I waffle on about beer, do take a look if you want. (@jimmbobk), I forget I can waffle in here too! 

I’ve recently demolished a plum bakewell sour from Vault City brewing. I’m not usually a sours guy, but this one was so good I nearly cried. 

9A042C98-382E-499E-98C7-C68250B3CAFA.thumb.jpeg.1c38d5ee1e4083fc51e6ae0d308bc667.jpeg

I think my problem with VC sours i that they are no longer often all that sour. They do make some great beers but the more 'pastry' styles are probably not really my bag, I had the cherry bakewell last summer and didn't get on with it at all. I will follow your IG! @jimmbob

Just sat through the Cloudwater birthday live stream and that was a  fun coupla hours with some great conversation amongst the various CW staffers and guests. Some deep chat on the state of the industry and what CW can do to improve things for their staff, their consumers, and how they can include those currently excluded from, or not well represented in, the industry and the wider contemporary beer scene. Also, a very good dog turned up near the end!

Their birthday beers have been great but the 'You're on Mute' TIPA is quite exceptional.

I look forward to weekly trips to the taproom whenever that might be.

14 hours ago, jimmbob said:

I really should pop into this thread more often. I have an Instagram page where I waffle on about beer, do take a look if you want. (@jimmbobk), I forget I can waffle in here too! 

I’ve recently demolished a plum bakewell sour from Vault City brewing. I’m not usually a sours guy, but this one was so good I nearly cried. 

9A042C98-382E-499E-98C7-C68250B3CAFA.thumb.jpeg.1c38d5ee1e4083fc51e6ae0d308bc667.jpeg

I haven't tried that one, but had a good few from Vault City in the past and they have been pretty decent. From memory there was an awesome lemon one which was like sour real lemonade. 

@Mike S  thanks, let me know who you are and I will follow you back. :) 
I had CHUBBLES III last weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. I skipped their birthday stuff simply because of money!

@Skull Commander I’m not usually a sours guy, but in the last week I’ve had two from Vault city, the plum one and a blood orange session, and I’m starting to think I might be a sours guy!

Two others of note, on Saturday I had Empyrean by Omnipollo. A limited UK release, and very good indeed. They usually do huge flavours like doughnut,  vienetta, bacon and pea soup gose’s or whatever. But this was a very well made Imperial IPA. 

3054121A-3B03-4A00-AEB2-0BE1FAA62FA3.thumb.jpeg.617bdb05fb88a821fdbb2ad6e3f53645.jpeg

Also, it was Polly’s third birthday recently, so I grabbed their birthday pack, which included a Quadruple IPA. Not my usual go too, I tend to avoid park bench strength (13%). But this was sweet, warm, and very nicely done, though a 330ml would have sufficed IMO. They’re literally 10 minutes up the road from me so I support them rather heavily. 

5B551171-3360-4912-9B06-32E510B98F37.thumb.jpeg.4630951f76f7f7dd072a649def691a4e.jpeg

16 hours ago, Mike S said:

I think my problem with VC sours i that they are no longer often all that sour. They do make some great beers but the more 'pastry' styles are probably not really my bag, I had the cherry bakewell last summer and didn't get on with it at all. I will follow your IG! @jimmbob

I know what you mean, I had that Plum Bakewell sour on Friday and while it was very tasty, for me the occasional buttery cake flavours don't sit well with the sourness.

I followed it with this Time & Tide which was a more straightforward fruity sour, really good.

image.thumb.png.4506fad43e814b194b04f9842667dddb.png

This is my Untappd: https://untappd.com/user/h_doody

49 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Anyone go for the new Tiny Rebel birthday stuff? I love their stuff so have gone for a birthday pack - one of the new beers is called ‘Shimmy Shimmy’ so had to go fo that!

I used to really enjoy their beers but I've been avoiding them for a while now, since they posted a video on Twitter with a crying laughing emoji making light of an incredibly unsafe health and safety incident in the brewery. The puerile, fraternal humour they used in a job advert for a gardener and the food names at one of their pubs (chicken breast burger named 'motorboat', anyone? :rolleyes:) have just cemented that. No great loss to me now though as they seem to have fully embraced the 'chuck anything in a beer' type brewing that I hate.

I'm on as Hyperspacey if anyone wants to watch me score everything that doesn't make me blind a 4+.

Disappointed to hear about TR, I like their beer. It's getting a bit one note now though; how many near-identical 4.5% IPAs can you release?

On 13/02/2021 at 19:43, Isaac said:

Not yet, but that's my local bottle shop and I'm constantly ordering from them, and have had it in my basket several times.

Do you mind letting me know what you get? Would love to see if it's worth subbing to.

Sure. Arriving tomorrow apparently.

Just discovered that my local Sainsbury's has started stocking some proper craft beers, possibly in partnership with Beerhawk. Not a massive range but pretty cool. I couldn't resist grabbing a can of Brew York's Rhubarbra Streisand.

I had their BFG (Black Forest Gose) and really enjoyed it. A lot of those pastry sour type things are disappointing but this hits all of the black forest notes and the salt really elevates it.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Sure. Arriving tomorrow apparently.

Just discovered that my local Sainsbury's has started stocking some proper craft beers, possibly in partnership with Beerhawk. Not a massive range but pretty cool. I couldn't resist grabbing a can of Brew York's Rhubarbra Streisand.

New Cross Sainsbury's? I saw that on the weekend there.

Not that I'm stalking you or anything...