The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

2 minutes ago, OnionNon said:

They’ve replied to apologise and say they’ve sold out now. Not great as you wonder what would happened if not chased, but to their credit they’ve offered a build your own box selection as well as an alternative box. 

I've not had a reply yet, did you mail the "info" address that the order confirmation came from?

Looking on twitter there are a couple of people with the same issue and they were told to email "mike", I'll do that tomorrow if I havent heard anything more.

Good job I also ordered some beer from a place local to me!

Sorry to hear that.

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm in the same boat so it looks like I need to send an email. Bit of an odd way to do business but maybe the demand took them by surprise.

I'm guessing so and that's also why those that are getting are finding different selections.

Had a reply from them this morning similar to @OnionNon offering the variety box as replacement or a build your own box from a list of 8 beers.

The variety page now doesn't have exact specifics of what cans it contains so I have gone with a build my own.

They didn't say exactly what went wrong with the initial order, just that as the box is now sold out and they can't rebook it.  They must have some dodgy systems if they can sell and generate shipping notices for packs that they don't actually have

If people have not yet mailed them then you are going to need to

image.png.6d3728ea187d894144d26f1b16d178e8.png image.png.91a00e7d72f23d6bc6f4d18f0405dfea.png

My word, there's a lot going on in this! Maybe too much? It's mostly delicious, but every 5th or 6th sip tastes a bit like someone's dumped a shot of whisky in it.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Excellent haul of fresh NYC goodness in readiness for tonights live drink along/tasting chat with the breweries!

20210129_175058.thumb.jpg.4bc0c9f864b97d639466734f3fe61aa8.jpg

Where was this from?

And how do I keep missing these US drops and drink alongs?!

Just now, Isaac said:

Where was this from?

And how do I keep missing these US drops and drink alongs?!

From Cloudwater! 

They have been hosting these events every week since April and they have been great fun as well as informative. They broadcast on YouTube at 19:30 so you can still watch although it may not be the same without the beers.

Tonight they are joined by the excellent and always entertaining Antony Other Half and  Antony Finback, and Michelle from Equilibrium. 

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

From Cloudwater! 

They have been hosting these events every week since April and they have been great fun as well as informative. They broadcast on YouTube at 19:30 so you can still watch although it may not be the same without the beers.

Tonight they are joined by the excellent and always entertaining Antony Other Half and  Antony Finback, and Michelle from Equilibrium. 

Checked their website and the calendar is blank.

Where can I find more info on the online tasting events?

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Checked their website and the calendar is blank.

Where can I find more info on the online tasting events?

Subscribe to their newsletter!

There is a mail out each Thursday lunchtime detailing the next event although should you buy a pack they mail out the link the night before, after that week's event. Some packs, such as this week's g very quickly. 

They do a very good job in shipping the gear over. It is cold chained all the way from the US to the door and the beer is super fresh (I don't check them all but have had plenty of US beers that were canned as recently as ten days before I had them in hand which is pretty impressive).

2 hours ago, minstrels said:

Oof, that must have cost a fortune. :O

Yeah, that was a pretty punchy outlay but the quality is rare and the chat tonight was much needed.

Michelle is cool and it was really great to hear about EQ's wild beer programme but she unfortunately left before the two Anthony's came online. Both are super approachable if you ever see them at a festival or tap room but it's never easy to get into the deeper chats in those environments and these events allow that. We are all deep into strong beers from the off which always adds garnish but I do recommend a view of the event on Youtube. Anthony Totten talking about their Breathing:Conversation project was proper..

Curators of Craft is a new website selling craft beer launched a few months ago, I know of the owner through a friend and he's a lovely bloke with a cracking taste in beers.

https://www.curatorsofcraft.co.uk/

There's also a 10% off code (FREEPOP) with a minimum spend of £40. Well worth getting an order in there.

I'd recommend Naughty LuggageWave Upon Wave, and Greek Mechanical Owl, but there's tons of good stuff on there, including quite a few imports.

13 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I just want a proper impy stout without all this dessert stuff. I like them don't get me wrong but a proper full on imperial stout is miles better.

Checkout Newbarns Brewery. They just released an 11% straight up Imperial stout. 

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Anyone got a beer sub and want to convince me it's worth the £99 or so to have a pub-style pint? 

is that this thing? We had one at the office (I remember offices) and it was kinda fun. It just dispensed reasonably cold lager though (ours was only ever loaded with Heineken that I can remember, looks like they've a few more interesting selections these days), I can't say I ever thought "this is just like being in the pub!" at the time. Maybe I'm not enough of a connoisseur.

4 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Anyone got a beer sub and want to convince me it's worth the £99 or so to have a pub-style pint? 

You could get a growler with a tap and then have your local fill it up off the keg lines, or even buy those little 5l kegs some breweries are doing rather than locking yourself into a proprietary system.

https://www.wildbeerco.com/browse/c-Mini-Kegs-51
https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/browse/c-Mini-Kegs-58

4 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Saw that in a Glashow offy the other day. Is it pretty good then? Their lagers are ace.

I've got a can but not had it yet. I really enjoyed the 5% stout they did though, and of course their lagers are brilliant.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

You could get a growler with a tap and then have your local fill it up off the keg lines, or even buy those little 5l kegs some breweries are doing rather than locking yourself into a proprietary system.

https://www.wildbeerco.com/browse/c-Mini-Kegs-51
https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/browse/c-Mini-Kegs-58

Quick note about the 5L minikegs.. they need to be drunk within a few days, they're a nightmare to chill unless you have a huge fridge and the beer is not fizzy in the slightest. 

They're great if you want to smash through 9 pints over a couple of evenings but definitely not comparable to any of the home draught solutions.

Got my first BBNO subscription box today and discovered that, amongst the lovely looking beer and a nice glass, there was a copy of Animal Farm. There wasn't any kind of newsletter etc. included so this was a bit baffling. I mean, I don't actually have a copy of AF and I don't believe I've ever read it in its entirety so this is quite a good bonus, because I'll actually use it, but it's no less confusing for that.

Is there usually something random in there?

Nice delivery yesterday.

Haven't had anything from Beak before so looking forward trying them. They are doing an online tasting session next week and this was a pack they out together for it, I probably won't bother with that to be honest but the pack was a good deal.

The Deya was just my bonus buy to myself.

IMG_20210210_175729.jpg

3 hours ago, memories said:

Nice delivery yesterday.

Haven't had anything from Beak before so looking forward trying them. They are doing an online tasting session next week and this was a pack they out together for it, I probably won't bother with that to be honest but the pack was a good deal.

The Deya was just my bonus buy to myself.

IMG_20210210_175729.jpg

The Craft Beer Channel live shows are usually good fun so definitely worth doing. Just as long as that other beer Youtuber from Wales isn't on. He's a wanker and ruins any live show he's on.

I was going to buy the Beak box and watch the show as it sounded like a good way to sample their range of beers but I didn't bother as 5 of the 6 beers are New England style IPAs.