The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

15 hours ago, memories said:

Out of that 24 pack from Arbor I posted about previously I didn't have sediment in any of the tins thankfully.

They were all good solid beers but I can't say any amazed me.

Yeah I have to say even sediment aside I've just thought they're fine, mostly. But even with a careful pour (out of fridge, let stand a while, pour gently and not all of it) I'm still getting a bit of the sediment. And the fucking headache! Oh well, only about 3/4 to go so not the end of the world if I don't solve it.

19 hours ago, Mike S said:

I dont tend to pour any sediment as it is a tad unsightly or will shake up the can/bottle in order to disperse it through the beer. Its typically just yeast so shouldn't really harm.

Not had Abor for a few years but never had a bad beer from them. Tidy brewery. 

maybe I’ll try giving it a shake, see how much ends up over the kitchen :)

14 hours ago, memories said:

Not as good as the CW above which I think would be my beer or the year i think.

That CW DIPA was very good but nowhere near a beer of the year for me.

They themselves are now able to knock out DIPA's of that quality almost in their sleep, as can a fair few other UK brewers and plenty in the US. Not that brewers making brewing look easy means that it is of course as it very much isn't without al those years of practice.

I don't log the beers I drink but, off the top of my head, it would either be one of the De Garde spons, one of Green Cheek's perfect Pilsners, The Grange by Wylam, or any of a multitude of epic imperial stouts but this year I've been truly spoiled with a huge range of amazing beer from the very best breweries in the US, UK and Europe (to a much lesser degree) so it is very hard to choose one. Sadly I think a lot of beer enjoyment is down to the sharing of said beer with good company and good chat as it is the quality of the beer itself  and that additional environmental pleasure has been nigh on impossible for most of the year.

I have an Other Half pastry stout sat chilling in the garden which, despite my tastes moving away from those types of dessert in a bottle type stouts, is starting to call to be opened as my first beer of the year.  It was actually left out overnight as we were going to have it last night but just that Wylam DIPA and the big CW sour bottler were enough so I guess I'm fortunate that it didn't freeze and burst out the bottle (probably helped by the extravagant alcohol content of 14% or so IIRC)...

3 hours ago, memories said:

Anyone looking to stock up?

Great deal from BBNo, 24 440ml tins for £60, use code Fresh10 for another 10% off so down to £54

https://bbno.co/collections/frontpage/products/hop-selection-lockdown-box

All IPA variations no dark beers.

That is a really good deal and shipping is free too!

Haven't had any BBNo beers for ages, used to periodically buy from their arches in Bermondsey back when I could actually go into London :lol:

I was supposed to be buying some stouts next but could not resist.  If anyone has seen some good mixed stout cases then link me up.  Not coffee or pastry stouts, can't stand those!

Yeah forgot to say it was free shipping too, makes it even better.

Been a while since I've had BBNo as well, only ever really saw them a few time in M&S in Aberdeen but that was a while back.

5 hours ago, memories said:

Great deal from BBNo, 24 440ml tins for £60, use code Fresh10 for another 10% off so down to £54

That's a real bargain and I can't recall ever having a beer by BBNo that wasn't decent. That said I can't face 24 IPA variations, however great they might be, as they would last me longer than might be good for their freshness.

A word of warning if you're buying that BBNo pack and it's been a while since you've drank their beer: all their beer is very much on the New England, hazy, low bitterness end of the IPA spectrum now.

I bought a box from them in October or November and was really looking forward to the mosaic session IPA as I remembered having it quite a few times back in 2015, but unfortunately it was a completely different beer.

The whole 'all our IPA is New England style but just called IPA' thing has really put me off them.

13 minutes ago, minstrels said:

A word of warning if you're buying that BBNo pack and it's been a while since you've drank their beer: all their beer is very much on the New England, hazy, low bitterness end of the IPA spectrum now.

I bought a box from them in October or November and was really looking forward to the mosaic session IPA as I remembered having it quite a few times back in 2015, but unfortunately it was a completely different beer.

The whole 'all our IPA is New England style but just called IPA' thing has really put me off them.

Arse, I was expecting English style IPAs like they used to brew!  Do you know if Kernel still do them properly? I'll have to order from them next time.

24 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Arse, I was expecting English style IPAs like they used to brew!  Do you know if Kernel still do them properly? I'll have to order from them next time.

Yeah, Kernel are still brewing IPAs like they used to.

If you're after a proper West Coast IPA, keep an eye out for Elusive's Oregon Trail. It was my beer of the year last year.

Two others that I was impressed with recently are Fallen's Platform C and Top Out's The Cone. Both are great examples of that 2014-2015ish style of IPA that UK breweries used to do a lot of: bitter and hoppy on a light malt base. Inspired by the West Coast but with less malt presence.

1 hour ago, minstrels said:

I mean, for many people that is now 'IPA' - to the extent that I've had a mate order an IPA at a bar and get a West Coast clear, bitter IPA and be almost unable to finish it. He was so new to craft beer he'd only had hazy, juicy, New England IPAs - that was what an 'IPA' was to him.

And he's not alone. If you're after a West Coast IPA you need to look for specific West Coast IPA brews from most craft brewers.

You can't really blame them for following the scene, most people just aren't really into a bitter hops bomb any more.

2 hours ago, minstrels said:

Didnt realise that but that's actually got me looking forward to them more, that's the style that I enjoy.

Agree with what you and others are saying about folk thinking a hazy IPA is an IPA.

I had a couple of bottles of Duvel triple hop Citra over Xmas and it was my first in a while I could see through.

On 08/01/2021 at 08:07, memories said:

Just had a mail from BBNo saying they are now doing a Variety version of the pack too due to demand for one that is not all hoppy/ IPA

https://bbno.co/collections/full-cases/products/variety-lockdown-box

This one has 4x pils, 4x goze and 4x stout as well as some of the pale ales/ IPAs as the original pack

Same price and 10% discount available

On 08/01/2021 at 20:06, thingymajig said:

Has anyone here tried Harvey's Imperial Extra Double Stout? It's something that's caught my eye on a few occasions, but it seems difficult to buy in anything other than full case form.

I think I have but it was a very long time ago back when I actually lived pretty close to Harvey's brewery.  I can't remember what it was like, sorry.

Not sure where you are but the Harveys Brewery physical shop used to sell singles of all their available beers, not sure if they still do as its been many years since I was in the locale.  Not much use in lockdown either :(.  It's so long ago that back then they charged a returnable deposit on the bottles and they were the old thicker glass refillable ones! :lol: You could pay a deposit on actual plastic crates too!

In general I do really like Harvey's beers as "traditional English beers" and have ordered online from them as gifts in the past.

6 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Just had a mail from BBNo saying they are now doing a Variety version of the pack too due to demand for one that is not all hoppy/ IPA

https://bbno.co/collections/full-cases/products/variety-lockdown-box

This one has 4x pils, 4x goze and 4x stout as well as some of the pale ales/ IPAs as the original pack

Same price and 10% discount available

That is excellent value.

17 hours ago, minstrels said:

I'm trying to start writing about beer a bit more often, just published my first attempt at a longer article here. It's a bit of a love letter to one of my favourite styles of beer, hefeweizen.

Nice. 

I did a year abroad studying in the Black Forest in 2006/07 and mainly drank Hefeweizen with my Erasmus grant and loved the local offerings. I have never got on with Erdinger however, which is the most omnipresent Hefeweizen out there and perhaps most people’s gateway to that style which could be off putting?

I’ve not actually had that much of the style lately though, as a lot of the British craft takes on it don’t do it justice for me. 

I’m also very keen on a good Dunkelweizen too. 

On 14/01/2021 at 14:03, OneDvBmbr said:

Nice. 

I did a year abroad studying in the Black Forest in 2006/07 and mainly drank Hefeweizen with my Erasmus grant and loved the local offerings. I have never got on with Erdinger however, which is the most omnipresent Hefeweizen out there and perhaps most people’s gateway to that style which could be off putting?

I’ve not actually had that much of the style lately though, as a lot of the British craft takes on it don’t do it justice for me. 

I’m also very keen on a good Dunkelweizen too. 

I much prefer Weihanstephan's take on a Hfw to Erdinger's, and the former is relatively common in the UK; most decently-sized branches Sainsbury's seem to sell it, for one. Schneider Weisse's probably pips it for me, but that's somewhat less common.

I have, however, been enjoying Erdinger Pikantus very much recently, only tried it last year.

On 16/01/2021 at 21:33, OneDvBmbr said:

Plum Porter is a fantastic beer. 

My local is a Titanic pub. I tend towards the darker beers these days so I've had a fair few of those.

With lockdown in full effect, I've not really been getting out much. My local Aldi's beer selection is terrible (I don't like hoppy beers, so IPAs are wasted on me) but I've found a couple of interesting options in... B&M. It's not the first place I'd think to do my beer shopping but these two are right up my street:

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/old-ginger-tom-strong-ale-330ml-307644

image.png.bd73765564b359e38a9c4de3b522f0cd.png

A dark ale with extracts of ginger. Not something you could drink a lot of but a nice warming beer to drink sat in front of the fire.

Station Porter:

https://www.wickwarbrewing.com/station-porter

image.png.bed1d171c466a6c753d74c983a461456.png

Quite an easy drinking porter. Not too heavy, although at 6.1% they can creep up on you.

On 13/01/2021 at 15:23, memories said:

Just came to post the same thing.

Certainly more variety in that one and another great deal.

My IPA box is with the courier at the moment, hopefully arrive before the weekend.

Has your box arrived? The tracking for mine is still showing as "Unable to attempt collection" which I'm guessing is down to them being swamped with orders.  They havent emailed out any general delay so perhaps its just mine that is stuck?

11 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Has your box arrived? The tracking for mine is still showing as "Unable to attempt collection" which I'm guessing is down to them being swamped with orders.  They havent emailed out any general delay so perhaps its just mine that is stuck?

Yeah it arrived last Thursday, was sent on a 48 hour delivery from BBNo.

I'm up in Aberdeen and seen some others up here getting there's too. Might be worth contacting them.

IMG_20210115_154257.jpg

Just now, memories said:

Yeah it arrived last Thursday, was sent on a 48 hour delivery from BBNo.

I'm up in Aberdeen and seen some others up here getting there's too. Might be worth contacting them.

IMG_20210115_154257.jpg

Thanks, I'll ping them.

Take my photo as an example of what you will get, seeing some others and I guess BBNo had stock issues as some folk have had a slightly different selection than me.

I got 4 x 6 different beers but have seen other with 8 of one of the selection etc. See the below pic...

139745766_453531412693826_1781584581261910762_o.jpg

They’ve replied to apologise and say they’ve sold out now. Not great as you wonder what would happened if not chased, but to their credit they’ve offered a build your own box selection as well as an alternative box.