rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

nope (he's obviously a fan of Pope and Stokoe though ), Daniel Warren Johnson

That bottom image looks almost pure Pope to me, although you can see the Stokoe in the action although tis more dynamic like t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ ̶S̶t̶r̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ Tradd Moore. 

Edited by Arn Ironjaw

36 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

nope (he's obviously a fan of Pope and Stokoe though ), Daniel Warren Johnson

And no I'm torn!

Just did the first issue and it is great! There's second pre covid and that's all there is so far.

Now do i buy #2 or wait for the eventually trade next year?

Look at it colored, thanks for the heads up on this. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

I think these days I generally prefer Marvel comics much more than DC

YijoEIX.jpg

YwmARaq.jpg

DL4CySs.jpg

2xlHK5B.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Why the fuck the changed "Goldenballs" to "Egg" i'll never know!

Stupid Marvel editors!

It's completely out of character for him. No matter how important he is now. It's probably the only thing I dislike about the new direction.

I didn't realise Stargirl was based on Geoff John's sister who died in a plane crash.

https://nypost.com/2000/09/25/super-tribute-for-super-teen-writers-comic-book-hero-based-on-sister-who-died-on-flt-800/

They also put a photo of her in the show

Also the complete run of Stars and STRIPE just came out and is on sale. This is Courtney as the Star Spangled Kid with the cosmic converter belt. She gets the staff later. 

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Stargirl-by-Geoff-Johns/digital-comic/859526

I've been reading early Thor for the last couple of days. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are quite the combination. It's pretty mental at time.

Things of note.

1. It's often far more sci-fi than I'd expect it to be

2. Everyone narrates the fights even more than I remember from other titles of the era

3. Odin is a prick. A proper dick head.

4. Non-super women get treated shockingly bad in silver age comics. Always meek and mild and only interested in marriage to the hero. Even Sif! It's painful to read at times when you remember how the characters are now.

My wife is the best, for my birthday I've got this amazing, nay, incredible lot on the way:

-that lovely Hulk: Dogs of War hardcover, collecting the Paul Jenkins run (first appearance of Devil Hulk btw!)

- Immortal Hulk vol 2 hardcover

- two Hulk Epic Collection trade paperbacks

And for myself I pre-ordered the upcoming Incredible Hulk by Peter David Omnibus 2 :wub:

• Upvote 4

Some good sale stuff!

Archie for under a fiver & Kingdom come for a fiver are my top picks so far. 

I’m trying to find a good second thing to get alongside House/Powers of X, as I’ve heard good things, am a old/lapsed X-Men fan, and I like Hickman...

For anyone who’s been reading the ongoing series since, are the Dawn of X books a good way to keep up? It seems incredibly sane to have one book collecting all the ongoing series, so I’m half-expecting there to be a catch, or one (or three) of the books to be dreadful, or something.

2 hours ago, JDubYes said:

I’m trying to find a good second thing to get alongside House/Powers of X, as I’ve heard good things, am a old/lapsed X-Men fan, and I like Hickman...

For anyone who’s been reading the ongoing series since, are the Dawn of X books a good way to keep up? It seems incredibly sane to have one book collecting all the ongoing series, so I’m half-expecting there to be a catch, or one (or three) of the books to be dreadful, or something.

The one they do that i think is upto volume three is pretty good for content and is the only reason i read that shite that was Fallen Angels.

Fallen Angels was just a terrible mess and one of the worst drawn books i have ever seen and its slap bang in the middle of every volume.

Just skip past the issue in each volume and you will be fine!

• Upvote 1

Right, just ordered Immortal Hulk vol 1 & 2 on a whim.  It better be as good as you've all been telling me!

(Probably the first mainstream American comic I've bought in about 15 years, maybe more...)

• Upvote 2

God it's good to have Marvel back.

Avengers were interesting this week, am i right in thinking i now need to find back issues of Ellis's Moonknight for the latest incarnation?

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Right, just ordered Immortal Hulk vol 1 & 2 on a whim.  It better be as good as you've all been telling me!

(Probably the first mainstream American comic I've bought in about 15 years, maybe more...)

Have fun :)

• Upvote 2

Haven't even looked at Heroclix in years!

I open an email from Wizkids today and now i want a few of these not to play the game but to adore the top of my monitor!

Spoiler

spacer.png

048_Phat_HiresRender-copy.jpg

045_Broo_HiresRender-copy.jpg

050_Magneto_HiresRender-copy.jpg

There is now a need for a goldballs in my life

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any idea what's going on with Forbidden Planet? Website has been down the past few days and no communication on social media....

Noticed it was down the other day when looking for something, didn't realise it was a longer term thing. Reading the posts on Facebook/Twatter, in the current climate, I'd say that's not looking very good. :(

Though someone pointed out that Titan Books is linked to them; their website is also down at the moment but they're still posting stuff on Twitter.

edit: Companies House still shows they as Active, so may still be going.

1 hour ago, Spatial said:

Noticed it was down the other day when looking for something, didn't realise it was a longer term thing. Reading the posts on Facebook/Twatter, in the current climate, I'd say that's not looking very good. :(

Though someone pointed out that Titan Books is linked to them; their website is also down at the moment but they're still posting stuff on Twitter.

edit: Companies House still shows they as Active, so may still be going.

If there was nothing wrong it would only take a simple post to put everyone's mind at rest. Suspect they are gone to be honest. I've got one outstanding order with them but it's only for about £3. The people who have hundreds invested in pre-orders though....

If they are still there it's a hell of a way to annoy your customer base. :wacko:

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

If there was nothing wrong it would only take a simple post to put everyone's mind at rest. Suspect they are gone to be honest. I've got one outstanding order with them but it's only for about £3. The people who have hundreds invested in pre-orders though....

Looks like it's just been a case of treating your customers poorly during a time of uncertainty and causing unnecessary panic. They do know that Twitter / Facebook doesn't run on their network? :wacko:

32 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Looks like it's just been a case of treating your customers poorly during a time of uncertainty and causing unnecessary panic. They do know that Twitter / Facebook doesn't run on their network? :wacko:

Yeah. All seems very odd. My order which I would've expected today hasn't arrived either... But I guess delays aren't out of the question at the moment. We'll see I guess!

Newsarama is the latest victim of Future Publishing's habit of merging sites into GamesRadar and wiping their online archives. :(