biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Immortal Hulk has been brilliant so far, but just as I think it possibly couldn't get better after issue 7, issue 8 takes it to another level. It goes from the creepy, moody horror the book has done so well so far, to all-out grotesque body horror. I dare not go into details for fear of spoiling the fantastic moments (afaik I'm still the only one here who is reading it), but this book is going to be mentioned in decades to come when talking about classic, unforgettable, shocking moments in comics. I'm guessing writer Al Ewing is going to rake in the awards for this run. Highly recommended even if you didn't like the Hulk up until now.

• Upvote 3

I decided to get the Afterlife with Archie comics in comic form rather than TPB or Kindle. Christ, they are hard to find! Now I want them all, plus the spin-offs.

This is going to take a while. Took me 30 years to complete my Redfox collection. 

On 09/11/2018 at 19:09, Mr. Gerbik said:

Immortal Hulk has been brilliant so far, but just as I think it possibly couldn't get better after issue 7, issue 8 takes it to another level. It goes from the creepy, moody horror the book has done so well so far, to all-out grotesque body horror. I dare not go into details for fear of spoiling the fantastic moments (afaik I'm still the only one here who is reading it), but this book is going to be mentioned in decades to come when talking about classic, unforgettable, shocking moments in comics. I'm guessing writer Al Ewing is going to rake in the awards for this run. Highly recommended even if you didn't like the Hulk up until now.

Nope, I'm reading it too and loving it. Haven't read 8 yet though.

I'll need to check to see if it's started appearing on Marvel Unlimited. Will I still get a lot from it having not read a lot of previous Hulk stuff?

I'm also going to back to read Batman: No Man's Land. I read it at the time, but don't remember much about it now. Turns out I've got Road to No Man's Land 1&2 and No Man's Land 1 already on my Comixology. Does anyone know if I should read Cataclysm first? Can grab it at £3.99, so might just do that if it's going to help with what comes after.

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I'll need to check to see if it's started appearing on Marvel Unlimited. Will I still get a lot from it having not read a lot of previous Hulk stuff?

Thinking about it, yeah I think you'll still get a lot out of it. It's basically a completely fresh new start and it completely redefines the Hulk. So if you know what he was previously - Bruce Banner becomes angry and turns green - you'll already appreciate the differences. The genius is that Ewing's horror story fits perfectly with existing continuity at the same time, which makes it even more rewarding for Hulk nerds like me. And anecdotally I've seen A LOT of people on various social media waxing lyrical about how they never cared for the Hulk before or hadn't read it in decades, but Immortal Hulk is blowing their minds right now. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Butters said:

I'm also going to back to read Batman: No Man's Land. I read it at the time, but don't remember much about it now. Turns out I've got Road to No Man's Land 1&2 and No Man's Land 1 already on my Comixology. Does anyone know if I should read Cataclysm first? Can grab it at £3.99, so might just do that if it's going to help with what comes after.

Cataclysm is fucking awful and I would avoid reading it.

No Man's Land is a little better but for me, this era of Batman wasn't the best.

So has anyone here been reading Doomsday Clock? For anyone out of the loop, it’s DC's attempt to integrate the Watchmen universe into their established DC universe.

I’m a fairly casual comic book reader, although like many comic readers I love Watchmen. I reread it every few years, and in my mind it’s pretty much peerless. Given the unbelievable high quality of the source material, and the major reservations of many diehard comic fans, I went in with low expectations. But I’ve read the first 5 comics (out of 12 planned in this run) and I think it’s rather good.

It’s not a cheap cash in, not so far anyway. It feels like it has something to say about superheros - what they mean to us, why we love them and why we hate them. Something different to what Moore had to say, I might add. It explains what went down directly after Watchmen and it contrasts this horrific vision to both the DC universe and also current real-world events.

And what went down after the original Watchmen is actually pretty cool, IMO. One Watchmen character returns with someone else in the suit, and as terrible / sacrilegious as that sounds, the reasons they are in the suit and why they are doing what they are doing makes a lot of sense. I'm totally intrigued by this person, and I can't wait to find out what happens to them. The interplay between DC and Watchmen character is also good, and they’ve even introduced a few new superheroes from the Watchmen universe that seem to fit.

I guess my only real criticism so far is that in trying to mirror Moore’s writing style but also make it more mainstream, it can be a little exposition heavy. And is it as good as Watchmen? Of course not. But what is?

Anyone else read it? What do you think?

1 hour ago, NickC said:

So has anyone here been reading Doomsday Clock? For anyone out of the loop, it’s DC's attempt to integrate the Watchmen universe into their established DC universe.

I’m a fairly casual comic book reader, although like many comic readers I love Watchmen. I reread it every few years, and in my mind it’s pretty much peerless. Given the unbelievable high quality of the source material, and the major reservations of many diehard comic fans, I went in with low expectations. But I’ve read the first 5 comics (out of 12 planned in this run) and I think it’s rather good.

It’s not a cheap cash in, not so far anyway. It feels like it has something to say about superheros - what they mean to us, why we love them and why we hate them. Something different to what Moore had to say, I might add. It explains what went down directly after Watchmen and it contrasts this horrific vision to both the DC universe and also current real-world events.

And what went down after the original Watchmen is actually pretty cool, IMO. One Watchmen character returns with someone else in the suit, and as terrible / sacrilegious as that sounds, the reasons they are in the suit and why they are doing what they are doing makes a lot of sense. I'm totally intrigued by this person, and I can't wait to find out what happens to them. The interplay between DC and Watchmen character is also good, and they’ve even introduced a few new superheroes from the Watchmen universe that seem to fit.

I guess my only real criticism so far is that in trying to mirror Moore’s writing style but also make it more mainstream, it can be a little exposition heavy. And is it as good as Watchmen? Of course not. But what is?

Anyone else read it? What do you think?

I like it a lot i will admit that although i'm a little fucked off that it is set outside the current time period meaning were seeing things that are the aftermath of the Heroes In Crisis. 

I do like how Gary Frank is also copying / mirroring the whole nine panel layout style too. 

I do struggle that Mr Mime looks so much like Clark Kent too but that may be a personal qualm of mine.  

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I'm getting caught up on my comics since I've been in hospital. Holy fucking shit at Immortal Hulk 8. Just wow.

Told ya :D It's really not just me being a Hulk fan boy! 

Anyone not reading Immortal Hulk do not open this spoiler! Read the comics first 

Spoiler

So - best finger snap since Thanos, or what? :D

Oh and *that* double page spread - you know the one - that's an iconic image in comic book history right there. Holy fuck

And get well soon @Flub, hope it's nothing serious.