rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bplus

Money Grabbing Gits

Hi,

Dont know if this has been posted before but GAME are selling the outrun2 demo discs for 2.99 in my local branch. They arent saying its a deposit for the real game; the discs are on display like any other title with a "lowest price guarnteed:£2.99" sticker.

I bought one as i just couldnt resist (no mention of it being a deposit), but then i noticed all over the disc is printed "not for sale".

Surely this is illegal, how are GAME getting away with this?

From what others have posted here i would suggest it seems its worth the £2.99 anyway. I'm sure you have bought magazines solely because of the demo disc and I fail to see how it is that different. They dont force you to buy it anyway.

From what others have posted here i would suggest it seems its worth the £2.99 anyway. I'm sure you have bought magazines solely because of the demo disc and I fail to see how it is that different. They dont force you to buy it anyway.

sega put in big letters "not for sale" all over the disc, GAME are probably getting these discs for free.

Magazine discs say not to be sold separately which is quite different.

But yes the demo is ace

sega put in big letters "not for sale" all over the disc, GAME are probably getting these discs for free.

Magazine discs say not to be sold separately which is quite different.

But yes the demo is ace

Ah well fair enough point then. I stand corrected.

Game are cunts, pure and simple. Sega almost certainly want their demo discs to be given away for free to advertise the game/with pre-orders so they can improve sales. Bah. You might wanna send an email to Sega, they mightn't take too well to Game acting in such a way...

If they're not taking your name/address to "reserve" a copy for you on release then they're SELLING the demo. :unsure:

No, when I got mine I was told they'd be putting copies aside for everyone who had bought the demo, and you just needed to bring your receipt in to pick up the pre-order. No need for names or addresses.

I tried taking the demo back, getting a refund and cancelling my preorder but they wouldn't take the disc. Strange.

Also, my local HMV has the demo running on their pod. Nice to see it running beside BO3 on the PS2.

SO is this demo available free in any other shops like HMV or Gamestation? I quite fancy picking it up this lunchtime, but I'd rather not pay £3 (obviously).

It will be interesting to find out from Game if you paid 2.99 to pre-order/ reserve your copy - if you then buy the full version and return it - you get the full price [inc 2.99] back?

If you dont want to buy the full version, especially from game - i can see a lot of people doing this for 3 quid.

It does seem rather strange that if you pre-prder this game, you get a demo to play for a couple of weeks.

Surely the demo should be given to people who definitely do not want to buy it, to see if it will change their minds?

A very poor marketing strategy when you think about it.

owl

i forgot to mention, my local game would not tell me the price for the full retail version!

What a div you are.

You don't have to buy the full game, and for £3 for this Live demo, it's ace.

Why is it strange? As strange as Burnout 3?

Surely it should be given away as an incentive for people to pre-order, so they're more likely to buy it? This way, people will see FREE, and go 'ohhh, I want that', and pre-order it. Thinking they have to buy the game on release too.

That's because your GAME thinks they're better than everyone else. It's £39.99 RRP on Amazon.co.uk.

It annoys me most other pre orders are free, but as soon as a disc is mentioned its buy buy buy, even though your apparently paying to pre order it and get the disc free. If thats the case, why are these pre orders special and exempt from free pre ordering?

Of course i know you can pre order for free out run 2, but then you dont get the disc...something which your not even meant to be buying in the first place.

It annoys me most other pre orders are free, but as soon as a disc is mentioned its buy buy buy, even though your apparently paying to pre order it and get the disc free. If thats the case, why are these pre orders special and exempt from free pre ordering?

Of course i know you can pre order for free out run 2, but then you dont get the disc...something which your not even meant to be buying in the first place.

When you put a £3 deposit down, you get a free demo disc.

You ARE NOT paying for the disc, it's just when you put down this minimum amount of deposit, then you get the disc.

Christ, you don't have to pre-order it, just walk out and get something else.

THE 2.99 IS NOT A DEPOSIT FROM THE BRANCH I BOUGHT FROM

Yes it is.

hi,

Game should be giving the disk away free when you pre-order outrun 2 and make a 2.99 pre-payment.

I think that you should get your 2.99 back if you decide that you do not want the full version though!

It was also easy to persuade my local Game outlet to let me have the CD for free.

owl

hi,

Game should be giving the disk away free when you pre-order outrun 2 and make a 2.99 pre-payment.

I think that you should get your 2.99 back if you decide that you do not want the full version though!

It was also easy to persuade my local Game outlet to let me have the CD for free.

owl

Well in my local game thats what they are doing.Replacing £ with € naturally.

Is it different to every other shop in the chain?Doubt it.

When you put a £3 deposit down, you get a free demo disc.

You ARE NOT paying for the disc, it's just when you put down this minimum amount of deposit, then you get the disc.

Christ, you don't have to pre-order it, just walk out and get something else.

Yes it is.

But i can pre order it for free and not get the disc. Implying that the 3 pound is for the disc...yes?

hi,

I tried taking the demo back, getting a refund and cancelling my preorder but they wouldn't take the disc. Strange.

Also, my local HMV has the demo running on their pod. Nice to see it running beside BO3 on the PS2.

If they're not taking your name/address to "reserve" a copy for you on release then they're SELLING the demo. :unsure:

Not according to my receipt -- it says I've paid for an Outrun 2 pre-order (£2.99) and got a demo disc. They didn't take my address, but I did pay with teh plastic so I assume they'll still be giving me a call when it arrives.

SEGA supplied the discs to be given out to those who pre-ordered the game. When you pre-order a game you generally will buy it, at which point the £2.99 will be knocked off the price of the game.

If you don't like the game then use the 10-day returns policy to get all your money back. Simple as that.

I got given one for free, when I bought my Xbox last week.

Not according to my receipt -- it says I've paid for an Outrun 2 pre-order (£2.99) and got a demo disc. They didn't take my address, but I did pay with teh plastic so I assume they'll still be giving me a call when it arrives.

There you go then.

As long as the receipt says "Outrun 2 pre-order (£2.99)" you can get O2 on release day for 2.99 less.

then if they refuse or the receipt doesn't SAY that then...

photo11.jpg

It will be interesting to find out from Game if you paid 2.99 to pre-order/ reserve your copy - if you then buy the full version and return it - you get the full price [inc 2.99] back?

If you dont want to buy the full version, especially from game - i can see a lot of people doing this for 3 quid.

It does seem rather strange that if you pre-prder this game, you get a demo to play for a couple of weeks.

Surely the demo should be given to people who definitely do not want to buy it, to see if it will change their minds?

A very poor marketing strategy when you think about it.

owl

i forgot to mention, my local game would not tell me the price for the full retail version!

I made this point the other day, the demo is designed to take the product to the widest possible audience, not give a taster to the those who have already decided to purchase the product. If I were Sega (which I'm not) and a member of this forum (which I am) I'd send a bunch of men in hedgehog suits to stand outside game giving the demo discs away for free. That'd show them.

once paid for a demo disk of rez evil on the cube. they said that i would get my money back when i bought the full game [they didn't mention anything about bringing the demo back]. when i bought the game they charged me full price, but they said i needed to bring back the demo to get my money. i was well pissed.

Well, I payed for the preorder / demo of BO3, and got the £1.99 taken off, along with student discount, reward voucher and trade-ins (ended up only paying £6 :D ). Didnt take the demo back.

Ask to talk to the manager if they get funny about giving you the preorder money off; you dont have to take the demo back, as its free.

But they're not selling it though.

What they're doing is giving you the demo if you put a £2.99 deposit down on the game.

Rob

i made this clear in my orginal post - my branch are selling it - they d didnt mention a deposit and have it on display like a game with a big sticker saying loest proce guareentee on it.

While i was over in scotland i went into GAME and asked about outrun2, they said they wanted a 2.99 deposit for a pre order which included the demo disc

In belfast (where i bought my copy of the demo) the words pre order or deposit werent mentioned once (this was in the forest side / sainburys branch branch)