Meh

League of Gentlemen

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Anyone catch Edward saying "Our father told us"

Was it ever implied they were brother and sister before? Its been so long since I watched seasons 1-3

I did :lol:

I’m pretty sure it was mentioned (or alluded to) in series 1 or 2. When these specials started I actually remembered them being brother and sister, and forgot they were married.

These specials were great by the way. Wonderful way to bring back the old favourites, and each episode flew by, and the ending was perfect. Would be lovely to have another full series.

Watched Episode 2 last night, I totally forgot Micky and Pauline got together in series 3.

It feels like a halfway house between series 1/2 and series 3. The first two series were relentlessly sketch and punchline driven, obviously aided by the laughtrack, while series 3 was more experimental and narrative focused but sometimes just a bit too ponderous and trying to be clever for its own good. This feels like a good marriage of the two styles where it's still sketch based but slower paced and less obsessed with a laugh every 10 seconds.

I do think series 3 has a bit of an unfair reputation though. It certainly didn't all work, and a couple of the episodes aren't very good at all, but some of the episodes are very good. The one involving wanking all the customers off in the massage parlour was always my favourite. 

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Anyone catch Edward saying "Our father told us"

Was it ever implied they were brother and sister before? Its been so long since I watched seasons 1-3

Yeah they mentioned it when talking about David getting married. Something like 'our father was lucky, he had us to carry on the family'

• Upvote 1

Micky at the end of episode 2. Oh man that brought a tear to my eye.

Spoiler

Yeah, he's a spotty, smelly dirty idiot, but he's probably the most innocent character in the whole show. Coming home from the job he always wanted his whole life to find what he did, screaming Paulines name, with the camera pan to the wedding photos. Damn.

• Empathy 2

I really didn’t like Series 3 when it aired originally, but I think I probably would if I went back to it. The switch to a story-based format, and even ditching the laughter track, didn’t sit well with me, but I think it was just massively ahead of its time.

• Empathy 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Micky at the end of episode 2. Oh man that brought a tear to my eye.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, he's a spotty, smelly dirty idiot, but he's probably the most innocent character in the whole show. Coming home from the job he always wanted his whole life to find what he did, screaming Paulines name, with the camera pan to the wedding photos. Damn.

I didn't even clock the fact he was a fireman. Still things to spot on another viewing then ^_^

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

I really didn’t like Series 3 when it aired originally, but I think I probably would if I went back to it. The switch to a story-based format, and even ditching the laughter track, didn’t sit well with me, but I think it was just massively ahead of its time.

Same here, I poo pooed it almost immediately. Rewatching earlier this year I realised its actually quite good in its own way. 

I should give it another go too - put me down as another who was a bit underwhelmed by it at the time.

Not sure if they’ll do any more - thought there was a wink to the audience with Benjamin’s last line to Val -

”You can’t go back, but you can visit”

The problem with series 3 is that the weaker episodes are stacked towards the beginning. The Pauline episode is first and isn't all that good, surprisingly, but it's the second episode that's the real stinker. Basing a whole episode around the joke shop owner getting an arm transplant was a real misfire. I reckon they lost some people after those two episodes and the change of format but you then get 3 good episodes in a row - Geoff going to London + legs akimbo, then the sex group at the hotel, then the massage parlour episode. Last episode is a bit weak again though. 

Well worth reappraising if you have the time but you do have to sit through some weaker material to get to the good stuff. 

Anyway I watched the final episode of this week's and really liked it. The three episodes as a whole were much better than I imagined they'd be, although it does feel like they could have done more. Some story threads didn't so much end as simply stop abruptly. 

I hated series 3 at the time, they lost a lot of goodwill when they “killed” Tubbs and Edward, and then had Ross bumming Pauline - tonally it seemed very off - but I enjoyed the series a lot more on a recent rewatch. The magician character was great. I even liked what they did with Papa L, but I recall the special effects let the last episode down. It was a bizarre idea and they didn’t execute it the best way. 

I finished watching the three specials last night, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. I didn't laugh all that much, and wasn't a fan of the nods to current events (where the idea of being 'local' has been co-opted to be a reference to Brexit), and the way Rosyton Vasey seeped into real life via the news. As far as I can remember the show hasn't done anything like that before, at least not so obviously, although the film was certainly far more meta. When the original series aired back in 1999 it was a real breath of fresh air in the sitcom format - there wasn't much else at the time  in the mainstream that was so dark and twisted, and had so many gleefully grotesque characters and situations, but now those things don't seem so cutting edge. Perhaps in times I'll appreciate these three episodes more.

By contrast, I'm two episodes in to Inside No. 9, and thought it was absolutely brilliant - very Tales of the Unexpected. The one with the two burglars stealing the painting was one the best things I've seen for ages. Fantastic slapstick, which I think is a lot harder to do well than many people realise (just watch something like Miranda to see how naff it can be). Once I'm done with that I'll rewatch Psychoville; I don't think I ever watched the second series.

No way. The Halloween special is quite good but series 2 of Psychoville was dreadfully mediocre. The new characters are nowhere near as good as those established in the first series, the plot gets sillier and sillier and most of the new characters have very little to do with the overarching plot. It's simply not as tight or as funny as the first series. 

The episode they did in one take in series 1 remains one of the best things they've ever done. 

Just watched all 3 back to back and these 3 eps are brilliant - don’t know of its the nostalgia speaking but felt like one of the best/funniest things I’ve seen in ages.

So dark and so much pathos - that bingo scene was both weird and heartbreaking. Geoff was always my favourite so great to see him featured.

Loved it.

On 12/20/2017 at 22:53, hombre_hompson said:

That was wonderful. Wonder why only 3 episodes, feels like they had enough new ideas for a full series.

After watching these and the first series that was one iPlayer as some sort of refresher I assume (not really watched much of the rest of it, certainly can't recall it if I did :P), I hunted down some extra material. They did some press material for these recently, including a fairly long BFI event. It would seem that the ending of the 3rd episode pretty much explains it, they just felt it was something they wanted to do currently but have no plans to continue doing anymore anytime soon.

I was going to ask if the bag was some reference to a film from that era, as they mentioned their love of doing film references in the earlier series.

He’s not actually supposed to be a black man. Neither the audience nor the other characters are supposed to think he’s a black man, and it’s not supposed to be caricature of a black man.

If anything the joke’s on the instantly offended.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

You made it that far in to re-watching it (first episode of series 2) and your girlfriend got offended at the bit where Papa Lazarou makes an appearance?

Wow.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I've been re-watching the old series on Netflix. My girlfriend took one look at Papa Lazarou and went "black-face - not on". I had absolutely no defence and turned it over. 

:-(

Well she sounds like a hoot and you sound very confused. Commiserations, mousesizechicken.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Just now, mansizerooster said:

My girlfriend is getting shit on a forum she can't easily defend herself on for not having a sense of humour about racially insensitive stereotypes. Nice.

Please explain which race this is and how it is a stereotype.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Do I genuinely have to explain why blackface is a problem?

Blackface specifically, yes. This isn't that.

Just putting black paint on your face isn't being racist. It's why and how you act with it on. Even if the character is racist, that doesn't make the show racist. But that's not happening here either.

What black stereotype is he supposedly portraying anyway? That black men steal women to work in the mines?

• Upvote 4

I'm not saying the show is racist, and I'm not saying that the character acts racist. He's also not just got black paint on his face - he has a face that is quite obviously and undeniably similar to and intended to cause recall of blackface. Blackface is of course a racially insensitive thing to have on a TV show. And it's a perfectly valid thing to take offense to.

I'm fucking amazed that people here are trying to defend this. Again, I'm not saying the show is racist, I'm a big fan. But Papa Lazarou is an example of blackface, and it's understandable that some people would be offended by that.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Do I genuinely have to explain why blackface is a problem?

The character voice and characterisation is based on a real Greek man, called papalazarou, which they seperated into Papa Lazarou, like a voodoo priest, and the character travels in a gypsy circus (east european) and is loosely based on a character from Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

That’s the background, the use of the minstrel-style paint is, like all aspects of the show, satirising, mocking, exaggerating and warping aspects of rural English white communities and riffing on horror references that appeal to the writers. Papa Lazarou’s accent, appearance and kidnapping of wives is ridiculing the white, rural fear of (and offensive depictions of) the foreigner (golliwogs, minstrels, voodoo priests etc) - TLOG was made in the late 90’s - people were NOT ok with blackface in the late-90’s. If you can’t see past the make-up and appreciate what the show is doing then that’s your loss, but you’re winning no awards for progressivism or whatever it is you think your standing up against by not watching a show you presumably enjoyed up until this point.

• Upvote 9