Spoilers man. :(

Anime related post? Oh right. Well, I've been rewatching Evangelion (I'm confused. It's got "Fly Me to the Moon" on the end, so did Netflix sort out the licensing issue, or is just because I'm watching in Japan?) and then watching the films.

It's interesting to compare and contrast (at least the first few episodes and the first film, since they don't diverge all that much at this point), and so far the biggest difference seems to be the reduction (but not complete removal) of fan service shots. I also finally watched the first series of SAC and what exactly was the justification for the Major's outfit. Sure, she's not topless with that weird veil like in the original film, but it's still really fucking bad.

So sorry, I’ve added tags :(

I guess Fly me to the Moon must be there in Japan, it’s still not on the western Netflix version as of last week. 

The Rebuild movies are weird. I’m hyped for the fourth one though. Can’t imagine I’ll be watching it any time soon though.

My guilty pleasure at the moment is the new Godzilla anime "Godzilla Singular Point"

There's alot of the Toho fans in here, i'm two episodes in and loving every minute of it. 

The main mystery for the title is pretty good although seems a little close to the Monsterverse but i look forward to it all tying together. 

Besides everyone will love Thicc Godzilla!

The Godzilla anime looks like it'll be good, but I only get it with Japanese sub-titles over here which is annoying when English sub-titles clearly exist for other regions. I guess Netflix choose not to make them available elsewhere for (monetary) reasons? :hmm:

52 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

The Godzilla anime looks like it'll be good, but I only get it with Japanese sub-titles over here which is annoying when English sub-titles clearly exist for other regions. I guess Netflix choose not to make them available elsewhere for (monetary) reasons? :hmm:

.srt files are all out there if you want to make the leap.

In the second episode the old man character has a unique way of speaking and the fansubs capture it so well. 

5 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Is that the old GBA game? 

If it is I'll be all over that.

NDS game but close enough yeah.

The anime prob has some link to the new game they just announced as being out in July

I'm guessing there's going to be more to it than what they've set up. They were told to survive 7 days and then burned through half that in ep 1.

5 hours ago, Triple A said:

NDS game but close enough yeah.

The anime prob has some link to the new game they just announced as being out in July

Ah, i remember it being old i was just aging it too long. 

I should have remembered it was DS as you did a load of things with the stylus if i remember rightly now. 

I don't think i ever finished it but i really liked headphone boy and the other character designs, but I'm always a fan of that art style especially after Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, i saw a sequel was in the works, so fingers crossed if that works out well get an anime of that too then. 

I've been really enjoying this "The Devils A Part Timer"

Just when i think it can't possibly get any funnier the pull-out another gag! I'm currently at the part with the holiday photograph. 

Such a great anime thanks again to whomever recommended it to me. 

I've been watching One Punch Man, which I'd never seen before. It's really fun!

Might go for JoJo next after all the love that gets. Do I start with what's on Netflix?

42 minutes ago, dug said:

Might go for JoJo next after all the love that gets. Do I start with what's on Netflix?

Not sure what that is but start with the very first season. The whole thing builds on whats gone before and whilst the first season is a bit ropey it puts so much backstory out there that makes the rest of the shows click to what's probably some of the the best anime going.

The Netflix listing of JoJo starts with the first season. I've not got round to the later seasons yet and I'm told the first is tame in comparison but there's still plenty of jaw droppingly strange / hilarious moments.

almost at the end of Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a bit fuckin' good.

I like how there are dark elements but it's still mostly cheery and fun. I like how most of the characterisation stays consistent, if someone swaps sides their motivation for doing so make sense. It's twisty but there aren't too many ridiculous asspulls. I like how there's a running joke that all the things Ed makes are covered in skulls and spikes cos he's an edgy teenager :lol:  I like how the death of a character early on stays important for the whole rest of the series. People matter in this.

I've watched the first couple of episodes of JoJo. Too early to say whether I like it or not, seems ok so far. But one thing I have to say is that I'm not a fan of the art style. No, that's too mild a way of putting it. It's downright fugly. Have the people who drew it never seen a human before? Or a face? Ugh. I really hope that improves after the first season.

On a brighter note, I now know the origin of all those To Be Continued memes with Roundabout.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The OTT character designs is part of what makes it great! Especially when they really get the posing reactions going. 

Oh yeah. It's part of the appeal, the larger-than-life, over-the-top element of it. Accept that it's not on the naturalistic end of the anime spectrum(!), and you'll have a great time watching.

Ok, maybe a poor choice of words on my part there. It's not so much the character designs themselves that I don't like; I can accept that, for example, JoJo has such gigantic muscles and such a tiny head that it looks like he has microcephaly. It goes well with the super melodramatic and over the top tone of the show. It's how sloppy it looks that gets to me. Inconsistent and technically poor. 

I get the impression it was made with a very small budget and/or with very tight time constraints. It kind of reminds me of the all-CG Berserk series from a few years ago.

I recall the JoJo anime actually tones the original manga's absurd musclemen down considerably to make it fit better in with the later series artstyle.

God knows why 80s Japan had such a hard on for roided up bodybuilders. Actually it was probably Schwarzenegger, wasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Lol Sony accidentally stuck the Demon Slayer movie up on PlayStation for streaming for a while earlier in the week. They took it down, but not before every pirate site managed to nab a HD copy of it. Someone is getting turbo-fired for that one.

10 episodes into JoJo, and while initially I wasn't that impressed, it has gone up several notches in my estimation with the last episode or two.

In episode 9 I was really not expecting 

Spoiler

The main character to be killed off! And then for it to jump forward fifty years and carry on with his grandson as the new protagonist. And for the new protagonist to meet the new antagonist and immediately blast the fuck out of him with a Tommy gun :lol:

I instantly like Joseph Joestar much more than Jonathan.

I expect I'll speed through the series at a much quicker rate now.

30 minutes ago, dug said:

10 episodes into JoJo, and while initially I wasn't that impressed, it has gone up several notches in my estimation with the last episode or two.

In episode 9 I was really not expecting 

Hide contents

The main character to be killed off! And then for it to jump forward fifty years and carry on with his grandson as the new protagonist. And for the new protagonist to meet the new antagonist and immediately blast the fuck out of him with a Tommy gun :lol:

I instantly like Joseph Joestar much more than Jonathan.

I expect I'll speed through the series at a much quicker rate now.

I'm jealous of how much awesome you have to look forward to.