IGNORED

Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

EP4.

Hide contents

My word, that was tense.

I watched that yesterday. I think that was one of the best stranger things episodes full stop. 

8 hours ago, PaB said:

I watched that yesterday. I think that was one of the best stranger things episodes full stop. 

Oh wait . Ep5 was even better. 

Finally finished Part 1. Really enjoyed this series but i'm not sure i liked it as much as S2/S3. Maybe those long episode runtimes didn't help and the fact all the characters are seperated for most the season.

Some really nice 80s references, especially the horror elements!

3 weeks till part 2 though 😑

edit: How can I forgot - an Amiga 1000 showed up in one of those episodes. I saw the mouse and was like... is that an Amiga?! Then i saw WB1.3 which confirmed it. Odd seeing it with a monochrome screen though.

I'm only a couple of episode in so far but I'm really enjoying this one for some reason, much more so than 2 & 3. I can really get behind Eddie after losing my favourite character in Billy, and Max isn't anywhere near as annoying as she's been up to date. Maybe it's because the kids are growing up now or something, idk.

Also, mad props to El for showing everyone how we successfully dealt with bullies back in the 80s. That was so satisfying.

Giger baddie is great, too.

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

I'm only a couple of episode in so far but I'm really enjoying this one for some reason, much more so than 2 & 3. I can really get behind Eddie after losing my favourite character in Billy, and Max isn't anywhere near as annoying as she's been up to date. Maybe it's because the kids are growing up now or something, idk.

Also, mad props to El for showing everyone how we successfully dealt with bullies back in the 80s. That was so satisfying.

The characters are looking so old compared to what they should be though! Not an issue but it did take a bit of adjusting.

I miss Billy as well, he was a good character but he did have a good conclusion. Max is pretty good as well, definitely one of the better chatacters this season.

Eddie is great, hope he sticks around for S5.

Also all of the DnD stuff with it being the devils work, goes to show how ignorant people were when it was something they didn't understand.

8 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

The characters are looking so old compared to what they should be though! Not an issue but it did take a bit of adjusting.

Also all of the DnD stuff with it being the devils work, goes to show how ignorant people were when it was something they didn't understand.

Yeah man, I'm laughing at the age thing sometimes. It's like watching adults try to dress like kids. Like you say, it's possible to forget it after a bit.

The DnD demonisation (specifically by the chad ballers) really made me cringe. Not because it's bad, but because it's so accurate. It reminds me of my shitty home town. It's okay to drink yourselves into a stupor and raise hell, but not alright to find some harmless 'nerdy' fun in some board games or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Yeah man, I'm laughing at the age thing sometimes. It's like watching adults try to dress like kids. Like you say, it's possible to forget it after a bit.

The DnD demonisation (specifically by the chad ballers) really made me cringe. Not because it's bad, but because it's so accurate. It reminds me of my shitty home town. It's okay to drink yourselves into a stupor and raise hell, but not alright to find some harmless 'nerdy' fun in some board games or whatever.

I remember as a kid my friends used to say they couldn't play dnd because it was a "evil cult" thing. Funnily enough no one batted an eye lid when we played Hero Quest though.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

The anti D&D thing was HUGE in America. The whole Doug Egbert thing with the missing uni student, BADD (Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons), movies about the dangers, etc. leading to Tom Hanks first screen role (and literally worst performance).

Jon Peterson's very academic book Playing At The World goes through it in forensic detail.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

The moral panic was definitely a thing.

they tried to start a lunchtime D&D club at school in 86 or 87. My parents had the talk with me, about it being a path to satanism.

i shit you not.

Loved this season and can't wait for the conclusion. 

Murray is great 

Max is great

Dustin is great

Steve is great

Robin is great

Erica is great 

Officer Callahan is great 

Eddie is the best 

The Will/Mike/Jonathan side quest wasn't really needed mind. 

Chapter 4 then…

Spoiler

Now the Nightmare on Elm Street nods make sense :lol:

That was some tense TV! Thought Max was going to be fine once Robin worked out the musical link, but the direction did a damn good job of never making her survival completely certain.

Kate Bush is getting a pretty juicy royalties cheque this year. And why not? That song, and the credits version, fit perfectly.

Been some disappointing dips in shows I’ve enjoyed recently but this part has been fantastic so far. Really like the longer durations giving everything a bit more time to breath too. 

The side plots are fairly superfluous but trust the series enough for the piece-moving to all be worthwhile in the end. Plus it helps there’s no weak link in the cast so everything is watchable throughout.

And, fuck!, didn’t even mention the awesome, surprise shootout!

Best the series has been since the first, I really enjoyed that. The story with max, Dustin, Steve and co was the best they've done and easily the highlight of this series. Episode 4, as mentioned multiple times, was downright brilliant. 

When shows like this split the cast up to do different things it always feels awkward pacing wise, and season four definitely suffered here. The editing between one story to the next was weirdly jarring and other than the final reveal, the stories didn't feel particularly connected. I'm sure it'll all come together though. 

The Russia plot was ok and the characters were good (one thing this series gets right nearly every time, credit where it's due), but it's another story where the outcome is inevitable so just get on with it. At least I got to play, "where was he from again?" with the Russian guard (answer - Thrones).

The same goes for the Will, Mike and Jonathan story, which was one of the weaker elements but it did have one legitimately great moment in the house. Jane's story took a while to get going and also suffered from an inevitable conclusion so I felt like I just watched hours of her looking sad, but the payoff was very well done.

Bad guy was great, also love the sound effect of the clock, which triggered the tension every time. Made me think they could have called this Silent Hill and nearly get away with it. 

Looking forward to the second part to see where this goes. 

Small nod to the soundtrack too, Kate Bush obviously, but it was a bit freaky hearing Musical Youth play a number of times considering they headlined in our towns summer festival just last weekend. 

5 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Small nod to the soundtrack too, Kate Bush obviously, but it was a bit freaky hearing Musical Youth play a number of times considering they headlined in our towns summer festival just last weekend. 

Good point - I always assumed Musical Youth were only a 'thing' in the UK and Ireland (I got Pass the Dutchie 7" by sending away tokens from Rice Krispies) but it must have been an American hit as Missy Elliot quoted it too.

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

The other thing I picked up on which I found very distracting was the American pronunciation of Risotto. 

Ris oh toe. 

Stop it. 

CRAY-PPS

4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

The other thing I picked up on which I found very distracting was the American pronunciation of Risotto. 

Ris oh toe. 

Stop it. 

Those crazy cats also say ‘Legos’. The pricks.

Chapter 5…

Spoiler

ACTION MURRAY WITH FINGERS LIKE ARROWS :omg:

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

Incidentally, Marvel could just shove a meggle beard on that Munson lad and tbe have a young Iron Man. He really looks like young Robert Downey Jnr.

Is it just me, or is he ridiculously charismatic as an actor? Stranger Things has done well bringing Millie Bobby Brown, Finn Wolfhard, Joe Keery and Maya Hawke (among others) to the public’s attention, and Joseph Quinn feels like another who will launch themselves into the spotlight thanks to the series.

It's like I've watched a different show. I've found it a complete slog with poorly written characters, all the new ones being immensely annoying (Eddie and Argyle) especially) and the Russian subplot being absolutely terrible. All the actors seem to be getting worse as they get older and the new dynamics where they've split them all up just hasn't worked for me. Max is easily the standout, with Dustin being good fun but overall it's been disappointing. It's the length of the episodes that really kills it for me, so little happens in each one. Interesting to see if things can be pulled round for the second half, but I doubt it.

On 11/06/2022 at 12:22, PeteJ said:

Best the series has been since the first, I really enjoyed that. The story with max, Dustin, Steve and co was the best they've done and easily the highlight of this series. Episode 4, as mentioned multiple times, was downright brilliant. 

Agreed.😀