IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

1 minute ago, makkuwata said:

It’s all a bit fucked when you have no confidence in whether or not purchasing a game will only see you getting ripped off. I recently bought Returnal at full price and got the value for it at that time I wanted to play it, all good. I also recently played through The Last of Us for the first time and am keen on playing the sequel, but have no idea If I shell out full price for it today it won’t be part of Plus a week from now.

Just assume it will be, and keep playing the free Plus games 'til you run out (never). It's like a kind of Zen, you don't choose games any more, they choose you.

10 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

26AC1437-CBE5-4BFC-B5C2-E8F23562A640.thumb.jpeg.1fa825bc01056523aabf41fdb662e2d4.jpeg@Stanley @Uzi 

Says that on most stuff. On others it says “to access this game”. They’ve fucked up with the wording, implies most stuff is only available to stream!

It’s not worded great, no, there’s lots of stuff that could be done much better. 

48 minutes ago, Uzi said:

What tier do you have?

I’m on standard PSPlus still, so Essential. Saw people on here saying they’d been offered 200 days for £25 so thought I’d check what upgrade offer I have. It’s offered me 193 days of Premium for £26.57. So then decided to check what’s on the service to see if it’s worth it. The above photo shows what it says in most of the menus for PS4 stuff but also on all of the PS3 games. It clearly implies you can only stream those games which put me off. If they’re actually downloadable then that makes a difference and is just about worth the money. Definitely wouldn’t sub for £100 per year though unless there’s some big name games released.

47 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

It’s all a bit fucked when you have no confidence in whether or not purchasing a game will only see you getting ripped off. I recently bought Returnal at full price and got the value for it at that time I wanted to play it, all good. I also recently played through The Last of Us for the first time and am keen on playing the sequel, but have no idea If I shell out full price for it today it won’t be part of Plus a week from now.

Yep, definitely left feeling a bit unsure about things going forwards. Think this could impact sales of Sony’s big first party games. I’ll definitely not be jumping in at launch on stuff for the foreseeable future.

Edit - Fuck it! Upgraded and downloading the original Ape Escape. Loved it back in the day. That, Dark Pictures, Bloodstained and Wonderful 101 will do me. Plus just realised Stray is Day 1 and been interested in that for ages. Will be interesting to see where my gaming time now goes over the coming year. Gamepass or PlusPremium......’cause I’ll be fucked if I’m actually buying any more games on any system anytime soon. 😂

56 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Ripped off? You have all the information you need. Buy it now, play it now. If you can wait, it's a safe bet it'll appear on the service at some point. 

You've never seen XBGP I presume?

Yep game pass has made me very hesitant to buy third party games that have been out for a little bit. I bought guardians of the galaxy on PC a few months ago and a about 4 weeks later it was on game pass. It's just the nature of the beast. I guess the whole WHAT IF THIS GAME BECOMES FREE (cost of sub free) isn't really the worst problem to have.

Man, I think the folk at Sony must have been pissed up when they were putting this together! Having now signed up it’s showing loads more games are available than it originally did. Admittedly, many of them are filler but there’s a few that might be worth having a knockabout on.

One thing to be aware of though.......some of the PS4 and PS5 games (Observer Redux for example) are only available to stream, you can’t download them......which is fucking rubbish! On top of that Dark Pictures Man of Medan etc is only showing as a downloadable Game Trial. 🤣 Fucking proper Omni-shambles!

7 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Man, I think the folk at Sony must have been pissed up when they were putting this together! Having now signed up it’s showing loads more games are available than it originally did. Admittedly, many of them are filler but there’s a few that might be worth having a knockabout on.

One thing to be aware of though.......some of the PS4 and PS5 games (Observer Redux for example) are only available to stream, you can’t download them......which is fucking rubbish! On top of that Dark Pictures Man of Medan etc is only showing as a downloadable Game Trial. 🤣 Fucking proper Omni-shambles!

See what you mean about Observer, that is very strange. 

Is Stray going to be available on the mid-tier subscription?

I can upgrade the remainder of my regular sub to mid-tier for £34 which doesn't seem too bad to me for Death Stranding, Patapon, Loco Roco, Medievil, Dark Pictures stuff, Miles Morales, Returnal...

15 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Is Stray going to be available on the mid-tier subscription?

I can upgrade the remainder of my regular sub to mid-tier for £34 which doesn't seem too bad to me for Death Stranding, Patapon, Loco Roco, Medievil, Dark Pictures stuff, Miles Morales, Returnal...

Stray is on the mid tier and above. 

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

See what you mean about Observer, that is very strange. 

Yeah, I really don’t get why some stuff is downloadable and some stuff is streaming only. That one seems particularly odd. Decent game too, its well trippy in places and looked great on PS4 so was hoping to try the PS5 version out.

Can confirm that the original Ape Escape is still great fun and looks really vibrant and colourful. Loads better than the sequel. Given me proper feels playing the first couple of levels, took me right back! Pretty sure it was the first game designed around the original Dual Shock and the tech was seriously impressive at the time. The Astrobot of its day! 🙂

Yeah, if you don’t already own the PS5 games available then it’s pretty nuts. Returnal and Demon’s Souls on their own have 100s of hrs of the best gaming has to offer. If I didn’t already own most of the games available then my view of things would definitely be very different.

100% agree with regards to the classic PS/PS2 stuff. The list needs to be expanded massively and the sooner the better, starting with Ridge Racer and Devil Dice! 

2 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Just assume it will be, and keep playing the free Plus games 'til you run out (never). It's like a kind of Zen, you don't choose games any more, they choose you.

June 23rd 2022, Skynet became self aware.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

On top of that Dark Pictures Man of Medan etc is only showing as a downloadable Game Trial. 🤣 Fucking proper Omni-shambles!

I had that with Man of Medan too. Its like there are two different views of games depending how you search for them - one route gives you the free download, the other shows it at full price. It's pretty confusing.

I was able to download Man of Medan free of charge though.

34 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I had that with Man of Medan too. Its like there are two different views of games depending how you search for them - one route gives you the free download, the other shows it at full price. It's pretty confusing.

I was able to download Man of Medan free of charge though.

Cheers for the heads up! I’ll have to take another look at it. Didn’t want to download it in case it turned out that it was just a demo, what with having slow Internet connection.

Just got to the rowing boat on Ape Escape, remember that as being a real “WOW!!!” Moment back on the original PS. Can’t help but think that Ape Escape and all its gadgets is a perfect fit for PSVR. 

Man of Medan has the correct option to Download now. 65gb though?!?! 🤨

Just to counter balance the weird chat about the service having no games 

Sony exceeds number of promised PlayStation Plus catalogue Games. Up to 740 expected, though more available via direct searches.

Ahead of time, Sony had promised "up to 400" PlayStation 4 and PS5 games would be available to both PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium tier subscribers - though the initial launch in Asia fell well short. Eurogamer's list of PS4 and PS5 games available today comes to 429, though Sony caveats that not all of these will be available in all regions.

Additionally, Sony had promised "up to 340" retro games, from the PS1, PS2 and PSP eras, plus the PS3 via cloud streaming. Eurogamer's list of retro games available today totals 404, again with that same caveat as above.

16 minutes ago, Radish said:

Just to counter balance the weird chat about the service having no games 

And just to counter your weird corporate defense, the PS1/2/PSP library is pathetic. Good on them for adding everything up together to deliver on the letter of the promise. But the retro selection has to improve. There's a grand total of 1 PSP game on there I think? But even when they put PS1, PS2, and PSP together in one category it's a disappointingly small collection. I didn't expect them to add every game, but this list is just sad. And nigh on identical to what was available on Now before, with no new PS2 games added but instead still completely relying on the bare bones ports they did for the PS4. It should be better than this, it's not too much to expect.

Totally agree, the classic games section is spread incredibly thin, especially when you consider the amount of titles that could be included. The quick save stuff is cool though. Needed to switch the PS5 off for a few minutes so hit start and saved Ape Escape, then picked up exactly where I left off. There’s a rewind feature too. 

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

Of course my disk version of Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima require me to delete the disk installs and entirely redownload 120Gb worth of the same data to work. 

Do you know if the disc version save of Death Stranding is compatible? I don't fancy having to replay even the few hours I've already done.

38 minutes ago, SeanR said:

£40 for 282 days of premium

is this normal?

image.png.1e127a74d98cd7bd269486ec895f4cbc.png

My upgrade is about £30 for 213 days of Premium so seems about right. Though I have no idea how the calculation works. I have 185 days left of my current PSPlus subscription, never had Now, so I really can't fathom it.

I had no intentions at all of signing up for this, as I am very much a ‘buy very few games, only what I want, and play them to death’ type of person and have no interest in dipping a toe into lots of different titles. All of the talk about different and weird pricing made me curious what I would get charged, so I had a look.

It says £72 for 12 months (actually until December 23) - and then that payment applies to the remaining 527 days of membership. I don’t know how they got that number but my next purchase was probably going to be Returnal, so now I’m wondering if this deal is actually worth going for.

The negative would be that I would effectively lose access to it next December, but balance that with getting to play a few other games I probably wouldn’t otherwise, like Stray, maybe I should.

edit - after some thought, I’m still not keen - other games I’ve been interested in recently include Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, which is not on the list. It puts me in a weird limbo of basically being unable to buy it now because it might get added to the service later. If I never subscribe, that’s not an issue.

The clincher would probably be Spider-man. I’ve always had a notion to play the upgraded for PS5 version of the full game, which I think is called ultimate edition? The listings for Premium only include the base game, ‘game of the year’ edition, and Miles Morales on PS4/PS5. So it appears you get all the Spider-mans but not the best one.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

I had no intentions at all of signing up for this, as I am very much a ‘buy very few games, only what I want, and play them to death’ type of person and have no interest in dipping a toe into lots of different titles. All of the talk about different and weird pricing made me curious what I would get charged, so I had a look.

It says £72 for 12 months (actually until December 23) - and then that payment applies to the remaining 527 days of membership. I don’t know how they got that number but my next purchase was probably going to be Returnal, so now I’m wondering if this deal is actually worth going for.

The negative would be that I would effectively lose access to it next December, but balance that with getting to play a few other games I probably wouldn’t otherwise, like Stray, maybe I should.

edit - after some thought, I’m still not keen - other games I’ve been interested in recently include Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, which is not on the list. It puts me in a weird limbo of basically being unable to buy it now because it might get added to the service later. If I never subscribe, that’s not an issue.

The clincher would probably be Spider-man. I’ve always had a notion to play the upgraded for PS5 version of the full game, which I think is called ultimate edition? The listings for Premium only include the base game, ‘game of the year’ edition, and Miles Morales on PS4/PS5. So it appears you get all the Spider-mans but not the best one.

Returnal is an absolute beast of a game. A true all time great. The atmosphere and story is proper Chef’s Kiss and the gameplay is as pure and undiluted as it gets. Makes you feel like you’ve been wired up to the mains socket when it really kicks off. I’ve spent something like 180hrs+ on it savouring every moment! I could probably put the same amount of time again into it. I’ve barely touched the Tower mode on it, which I need to play properly.

Miles Morales Ultimate Edition is the Remade PS5 Spider-Man and PS5 Miles Morales in one package. Pretty sure you can now buy the PS5 Remake on its own for £20, but pretty sure it’s just the PS4 version on Premium. Its a big game too. Pretty sure it was like 40hrs to finish the story or something, although I played it on the hardest setting, which made it more fun. Miles Morales is much shorter (about 15hrs if you don’t rush through it) but they’re about the same in terms of enjoyment and quality.. They’re both quite repetitive, so best played in smaller chunks imo and not back to back.

Sounds like you’d be better off just picking them all up cheap, maybe secondhand if you’ve got a PS5 with a drive? If digital it’s a tough call though and depends on wether you just want to blast straight through Returnal or savour it. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And just to counter your weird corporate defense, the PS1/2/PSP library is pathetic. Good on them for adding everything up together to deliver on the letter of the promise. But the retro selection has to improve. There's a grand total of 1 PSP game on there I think? But even when they put PS1, PS2, and PSP together in one category it's a disappointingly small collection. I didn't expect them to add every game, but this list is just sad. And nigh on identical to what was available on Now before, with no new PS2 games added but instead still completely relying on the bare bones ports they did for the PS4. It should be better than this, it's not too much to expect.

There's nothing weird about what he posted, he's simply pointing out Sony said they'd do a thing and they appear to have done more than that.

Can we only hold them to account against the things they never said they were going to do that are in your head?

Well I wasn't going to sign up but my partner is dead keen on Returnal and Miles Morales and the upgrade was less than half the price of Returnal so a no brainer really.

I did shell out a little more so I could be disappointed by the retro offerings and tried out some of the PS1 games. They looked awful until I changed the filter to a scanline one that was a little too dark and with the colour a little too high...which replicated my 90's experience completely!

I mean PSOne games were meant to run on old CRTs, not massive flat screens. But I found that taking my glasses off added enough softening of the image to match my memories.

Oh and for those interested, I'm in Australia so no streaming for me.

Jumping Flash and Ape Escape are PAL but the other PSOne games I've tried appear to be NTSC (or at the very least they don't have the blue text (C) warning PAL games used to.)

Ape Escape, Syphon Filter and Wild Arms appear to have achievements.