IGNORED

(Show Us Your) Advent Calendars

Gotters

There seems to be a rise in these in recent years with the more artisan end of the market waking up and realising its a good way to charge sky high prices for very small amounts of stuff, but also get your wider range into the hands of punters who will hopefully become repeat buyers.

December is looking very busy for us as we've now got 3 things to get through on a daily basis - won't be buying anymore as got more than enough to be getting on with, but the good ones do seem to sell out early so worth getting them in now.

So who else is doing dozens of gins, whiskey etc in Dec ?

Our collection :

A brilliant looking Pact coffee taster with 25 different coffees, some being from very small lots.

Screenshot_20_10_2021__13_26.thumb.jpg.13274f8f060418e5fe957a7e4f5d9201.jpg

A Joe & Steph popcorn one

490511011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=91466

Finally something a bit more traditional with chocolates from Hotel Chocolate

485769011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=2d6b0

• Gotters changed the title to (Show Us Your) Advent Calendars

I recently saw some adverts for advent calendars in my email but it still feels too soon for me!

I never get anything too fancy for myself, but it's always fun to see what's out there. :) 

I've picked maybe half a dozen for orders at work, including a Tony's Chocolonely one which I was jealous of, because the couple of bars I've had of the stuff has been pretty good. It's also about twice the size of most of the others we stock (and probably at least twice the price). But yeah - advent calendars are one of the things you absolutely should buy in advance. Every single year I've done this job we get people coming in on in the last few days of November/first few days of December asking where they are, when we've usually sold out of everything by then, and had sold out of the popular ones and high-end ones sometimes weeks before. If it's on the shelves now, it'll keep, so grab it while you can. It's better for the store to sell out a little early than be stuck with stock that they'll have to reduce significantly to shift. And the more expensive ones go first, because that's where they'd potentially lose most money from reductions.

So in my job, when I get orders towards the arse-end of November asking for high-end advent calendars, they basically generally all get given the basic Cadbury's one which is all we'll have left, or one themed around Frozen or some other franchise.

_tony.thumb.jpg.be1a3729fa2eabe6c5cc6a45e8cbb499.jpg

For myself - I normally wouldn't bother with an advent calendar, but I'm tempted to just buy a Crimbo selection box from Hotel Chocolat, and pick my way through it each day in December. When I had much more cash I used to subscribe to Hotel Chocolat's monthly box scheme and just scoff one or two a day, and I kind of miss it. I don't eat much chocolate (I genuinely can't remember the last time I ate something like a Mars or a Twix - unless you count the mini ones in tubs of Celebrations, and even then we're talking maybe 4 or 5 years...) But I do like choccy done well, and HC is pretty good for the most part.

I wouldn't have bothered this year, but I've had a bit of bonus cash come in, and I'd like to spend some of it on a genuine treat, and this now feels like a nice idea. I've added it to my Crimbo prep list...

I always like Hotel Choc stuff, the flavoured dessert truffles are especially good.

That Tony's choc is a bit odd, my other half can't handle milk/cream but chocolate is usually fine for her, that Tony's choc must have a high milk content (or something in it like milk or whey powder) as she can't touch it, I'm not dairy intolerant and whenever I've eaten it gets my stomach gurgling and twisting in knots too. 

@Gotters May I refer you to RLLMUK's terms and conditions? Clause 18.3 subsection b clearly states "no discussion relating to Christmas themed goods or services shall be posted outside of December and January"

TL:DR - it's still OCTOBER!!  

:)

15 hours ago, new666uk said:

@Gotters May I refer you to RLLMUK's terms and conditions? Clause 18.3 subsection b clearly states "no discussion relating to Christmas themed goods or services shall be posted outside of December and January"

TL:DR - it's still OCTOBER!!  

:)

mostly I’m with you but this is more of a PSA as we enter the best weeks for getting hold of the better put together quality advent products, which always go fast

take your approach if you want, but don’t blame me when you’ve promised a loved one a nice advent and you stroll into the shops on Dec 1st all confident in yourself and your choice is between the anchovy marketing board advent and the official marmite one, whilst the staff all laugh at you when you ask where the good ones are.

I quite fancy getting a nice advent calendar this year, I normally get something a bit better than the £2 Cadbury stuff, but I'm not sure what I want. Needs to be chocolate related and if it has something interesting about it, all the better - last year I got the Ferrero Roche one that was really thick and opened out. It was nice because the actual calendar had a nice old Victorian-esque scene on it (rather than a picture of chocolates.) 

Still, I remember back when an advent calendar was just about a little picture behind the doors, rather than food/drink/plastic tat. Man, what a different world I (and many of us here) grew up in. 

It works out at around £6 a can

That's a lot but when you factor in packaging and curation and the delight - it's not too bad.  Most local craft beer shops would sell beers from breweries like that for around that price - especially so if they're super hoppy 6%. 

I bought the Tony's chocolonely advent calendars for me and my wife. We quite like the chocolate when we've had it and it looked a bit different. I told my wife that I had in case she buys one but said were she to want to buy me an advent calendar then a non chocolate one would be a nice surprise.

I rather fancy a cocktail / beer / whisky one, but the thing I've always loved about advent calendars are that they make it okay to wake up and have a bit of chocolate before you even brush your teeth. We would have our chocolate ones next to our bedside tables.

I don't know if I can apply that to a fancy craft beer can or cocktail shot?

I just googled to see what was out there and got some inspiration from Hello magazine of all places, I ever knew I needed a pork scratchings one 

https://www.hellomagazine.com/cuisine/2020100698561/best-foodie-advent-calendars/

here are some more too, cheese, pringles, mince pies - all are covered, the Selfridges mince pie one looks very good.

https://closeronline.co.uk/shopping/fashion/crisps-snack-advent-calendars/

On 22/10/2021 at 16:33, cowfields said:

I don't know if I can apply that to a fancy craft beer can or cocktail shot?

I had a tequila advent calendar one year and then came down with a stinking cold at the start of december so couldn't even have a shot of an evening.

I ended up treating it like a giant tasting flight kit and picking either 3 blancos or 3 from one producer or whatever at the weekend which was quite enjoyable and it lasted far beyond christmas.

I saw the Pringles one in a shop yesterday, but who wants a 12-day calendar only? Rubbish (and horrendously overpriced, of course.) The Selfridges mince pie one could be interesting though.

I have to keep reminding myself that despite loving them mince pies give me heartburn the second I eat them, so getting an advent for them is really just ensuring I have heartburn every day for 3.5 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have homemade one, a small bag for each day on a garland, which we fill with loads of different chocolates and sweets from Bulk Barn. Just a really basic one that you'd get for a quid or two in the UK is $15 here and even worse quality

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to need to skip lunch in Dec as now got a 4th advent, I must have been going on about it as my other half got me the scratchings one. Come to think of it I was also going on that there should be a pork pie one.

SP_Pork-Crackling_Advent-2021_front_1024

• Black Pepper - Our Black Pepper flavour is more subtle than some of our porky adventures, but that's its beauty. 
  • Low & Slow BBQ - If you love the wonderful, smokey taste of BBQ than this one is for you. 
  • Marvellous Maple - Inspired by SP's love of a pancake & syrup breakfast, Maple is our first sweeter variety and is something genuinely a bit different. With a lovely sweet/salty balance, it’s still very much suited to accompanying a pint, but we've seen it demolished alongside all sorts of drinks and at all times of day!
  • Perfectly Salted - Our Perfectly Salted may not be the most flamboyant of flavours, but what it lacks in avante-garde thrills, it more than makes up for in brilliant basics: Crispy, salty awesomeness. Think of it as Team SP’s ever-present holding midfielder- others might have occasional fancier tricks and brighter boots, but this one is always the first name down on the team sheet.
  • Pigs In Blankets - Our limited edition Pigs in Blankets (PiB) variety takes what we see as the best bit of a Turkey dinner, aka the porky bit, and pays homage to it the form of some rather excellent crackling, housed in one of our gift jars. On top of its lovely flavour, PiB is a particular favourite as it's adding the essence of bacon-wrapped pork to a porky snack. Yup -Pig to the power of 3! 
  • Salt ‘N’ Vinegar - Our Salt 'N' Vinegar crackling is a particular favourite at Snaffling Pig HQ and is almost universally loved when tried. As you may have gathered, we're big on bold flavour, so you'll be in no doubt what you're snaffling; this one is as tangy as it is moorish. 

I haven't found anything that tickled my fancy so I am currently on my backup of a £2 Galaxy one (and I don't really like Galaxy all that much.) 

I will be at Costco over the weekend, I wonder if they have anything decent? Failing that, I guess I'll just look at some of the ones on this page and wish I liked beer/pork scratchings etc. I shall have to live vicariously through you all! 

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm going to need to skip lunch in Dec as now got a 4th advent, I must have been going on about it as my other half got me the scratchings one. Come to think of it I was also going on that there should be a pork pie one.

SP_Pork-Crackling_Advent-2021_front_1024

• Black Pepper - Our Black Pepper flavour is more subtle than some of our porky adventures, but that's its beauty. 
  • Low & Slow BBQ - If you love the wonderful, smokey taste of BBQ than this one is for you. 
  • Marvellous Maple - Inspired by SP's love of a pancake & syrup breakfast, Maple is our first sweeter variety and is something genuinely a bit different. With a lovely sweet/salty balance, it’s still very much suited to accompanying a pint, but we've seen it demolished alongside all sorts of drinks and at all times of day!
  • Perfectly Salted - Our Perfectly Salted may not be the most flamboyant of flavours, but what it lacks in avante-garde thrills, it more than makes up for in brilliant basics: Crispy, salty awesomeness. Think of it as Team SP’s ever-present holding midfielder- others might have occasional fancier tricks and brighter boots, but this one is always the first name down on the team sheet.
  • Pigs In Blankets - Our limited edition Pigs in Blankets (PiB) variety takes what we see as the best bit of a Turkey dinner, aka the porky bit, and pays homage to it the form of some rather excellent crackling, housed in one of our gift jars. On top of its lovely flavour, PiB is a particular favourite as it's adding the essence of bacon-wrapped pork to a porky snack. Yup -Pig to the power of 3! 
  • Salt ‘N’ Vinegar - Our Salt 'N' Vinegar crackling is a particular favourite at Snaffling Pig HQ and is almost universally loved when tried. As you may have gathered, we're big on bold flavour, so you'll be in no doubt what you're snaffling; this one is as tangy as it is moorish. 

That looks pretty epic

On 25/11/2021 at 10:29, Gotters said:

More inspiration if anybody is still looking - brownies I can get on board with but don't feel the need for a Sriracha advent. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-advent-calendars?utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=wired&mbid=social_twitter

We bought the Sriracha one for my dad, who a) loves Sriracha (and takes a bottle of it wherever he goes), and b) hates celbrating Christmas/receiving Christmas presents, but enjoys silly/ironic presents. It's basically the perfect way to get him something without offending his sensibilities.

Aside from that I got Jo the sillier/more basic advent calendar that Hotel Chocolat do as she likes an advent calendar to go through, but for a nicer range of fancy chocolates also got one of their wreath boxes to munch through December.

Every year I hope Jo or my mum will remember that I actually like receiving advent calendars, and every year I'm disappointed. I imagine the same will hold true this year (particularly with my Exciting New lactose intolerence and general IBS making me harder to buy for).

On 25/11/2021 at 10:29, Gotters said:

More inspiration if anybody is still looking - brownies I can get on board with but don't feel the need for a Sriracha advent. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-advent-calendars?utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=wired&mbid=social_twitter

I do like Sriracha, and £40 for 12 200ml bottles isn't actually as horribly priced as some of the other stuff on that page.

Of course, I buy any Sriracha I want when I need it - and I think these '12 days' calendars are rubbish - but still, better than some of the other tat.

21 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

in case you have someone in your life you have absolutely no feelings about one way or the other

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lynx-Countdown-Moisturising-Fragrance-Deodorant/dp/B08KY7V76R/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=advent+calendar+men&qid=1638110857&sr=8-13

I'd be fucking furious if that came into my house

The 2021 version has a slightly nicer box, at least. 

It's starting - got a hot cup of some funky micro lot Columbian coffee called El Tolu on the go which is not the sort of thing I'd usually drink at all, it's incredibly bright and floral, almost not like coffee with a honey sweetness.

Going to be fun trying 20+ different brews in the coming weeks.