SEGA Powered, new SEGA magazine on kickstarter

Riven

Wanted to spread the word on this as I know we have a lot of SEGA fans here, but Dean Mortlock editor of SEGA & Saturn Power magazines in the 90s. Has, put together a kickstarter for a new SEGA based magazine called SEGA Powered, it's already reach its goal, but the first issue is looking like it will release in November both in a digital and retail form. There a free issue 0, 16 page sampler on kickstarter and I've really enjoyed taking a look at it. Can't wait until it hits the shelves, from what I understand certain pledges give you a discount on the cover price.

Details here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/segapoweredmagazine/sega-powered/

I've backed issue 1, it's pretty pricey for international shipping on the sub though, so don't think I'll go all in - perhaps buy a few digital issues, not the same though. 

The editorial style is definitely very familiar, that's for sure – same comedy style that is perhaps not quite as funny to nearly-40 me as it was to 14 year old me.. will see how that pans out!

I was able to ask Dean Mortlock on FB if we'd see a return of Andy Smith's novellas as cover mounts, or perhaps a feature on European Sega Champ Danny Curley, who was in loads of issues when I first started buying Sega Power. He's vaguely promised the latter (apparently they are still in touch!), but can't quite promise the former - and again, he's still in contact with Andy Smith.

Nice nostalgia trip. A lot of SEGA retro is as out of touch to me today as it was when i was a young teen – I've owned much of it over the years but moved it all on years ago. It's great to see the rise of old SEGA hardware is significant enough to spawn these new magazines! I will be looking at many a feature with pangs of regret, I'm sure!

image.thumb.png.d5b194d77ce49b1b3f29e8be058f78bf.png 0ce8a675acc7fecef84d4878143dd299.png image.png.71248d85a02ae0795576f7cbd881a8a2.png image.thumb.png.905ed373c071f240d385b36561c3d014.png

I forgot there were so many! I primarily remember the Road Rash book, which apparently was in fact by Neil West.

Amazing stuff! https://retroreadingtime.com/book/roadrash/

I've backed it myself. Will be a good excuse to revisit or play any games they end up covering. Could be good opportunity for some hi-score/time trial shenanigans.

EDIT: There's a road rash novel!?

I’m interested in this, but, and I’m sorry to be this guy, what more can be said about all this old stuff?

I think I’ve read everything possible about retro stuff. 

I think the interest is really in teasing out old tales from developers and other people who were figures of the day - stuff they definitely wouldn't have said or published at the time. That's of interest to me, at least.

Even some "where are they now" stuff is very interesting to me. For example, there was a staffer called John Cantlie on Sega Power in the early 90's, who was famously captured by ISIS (twice), the last time in 2012. He's not been seen since, but is presumed to be alive. Obviously I don't think they can secure an interview – or that this particular story is appropriate – but I'd like to know where some of the old cast are now, not just SP but across the mags of the day - MEGA, MegaTech, MMS.. maybe even Sega Saturn Mag if Dean and Richard Leadbetter are able to bury the hatchet!

I don't have a problem with re-reviews either. Though the Sega Rally re-review is a tad thin and lacks much by way of insight or any new information. But hey, it's just a sampler..

On 13/10/2021 at 21:09, Droo said:

I’m interested in this, but, and I’m sorry to be this guy, what more can be said about all this old stuff?

I think I’ve read everything possible about retro stuff. 

Why are you even posting in a Retro discussion thread then? :lol:

Like @pastry, I think the opportunity is there to have pieces that have content you wouldn't have got back in the day (similar to Retro Gamer, of course), rather than just re-hash reviews with a modern eye. That didn't seem to be the case in the sampler, though of course that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

That said, I read a few pages of the sampler and the writing felt just like it (probably) was back in the heyday of the mags its trying to recreate, and it just read poorly in 2021. I almost expected to have 'zany' comments from the 'Ed' in brackets dotted about - so on the writing alone, this isn't something for me.

19 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Why are you even posting in a Retro discussion thread then? :lol:

I personally find discussing personal experiences with others who have similar interests much more appealing than reading someone else’s (who often have little real interest in the topic) take on an old subject that is generally available a million times over for free. 

I am also generally suspicious of nostalgia based Kickstarters. 

On 16/10/2021 at 19:37, Gabe said:

That said, I read a few pages of the sampler and the writing felt just like it (probably) was back in the heyday of the mags its trying to recreate, and it just read poorly in 2021. I almost expected to have 'zany' comments from the 'Ed' in brackets dotted about - so on the writing alone, this isn't something for me.

Yeah I feel the same way about the editorial style – I did follow up on that, jokingly asking how he (Dean) felt about writing a mag in the 90's "for teens" style, knowing it'd be read by a bunch of middle aged men.

I wasn't rude about it, but I didn't get a response to that one 😂

I'm still very much interested to see what they put out but yeah, I bought my first issue of SP in 1993, and (sadly) I'm not 11 any more.