IGNORED

Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

Vemsie

Got this via PS digital for £30 ish with cheap credit. Only done about an hour but the backchat, environment and character models are polished enough to save it to be the Xmas period game. Already better than the way that dull Avengers started. One question, can’t seem to get any dialogue or subtitles when the characters are talking through comms. Did I wreck a setting?

4 hours ago, mikeyl said:

One question, can’t seem to get any dialogue or subtitles when the characters are talking through comms. Did I wreck a setting?

The latest patch switched those to come out the pad speaker, if your pads speaker volume is turned all the way down...

Personally I hate that feature and have turned it off in the in-game options.

And done

Yes I know I got it on launch day and @Thor has managed to play through it 4 times since then but I play games slowly in the couple of hours downtime per day I get and in all honesty this isn't a short game (yeah I took my time but playing methodically this took me 35 hours, there's a lot of space to explore and quite a lot of character interaction to take in in-between levels on the Milano).

So this is basically this is Uncharted x Mass Effect via Marvel.  The main gameplay loop is very much Uncharted, a bit of platforming here, a little light (very light) puzzling there and a interesting combat system that feels kinetic and chaotic at the same time but gradually develops nicely as you and the other Guardians power up.  But its all married to possibly the best acted and written Marvel adaption you could imagine.  This isn't the movie Guardians (Starlord for one gradually develops into a genuinely charismatic lead rather than someone you want to punch whenever they appear on screen) but its the supporting cast that really win the honours and put their MCE versions to shame (hello Mantis and Cosmo). We get an interesting Galaxy threatening plot thread that develops  from a basic heist and the chatter from your team mates is guaranteed to bring a grin to any comic fan.

The game by any standard looks amazing but its the fact that the characters come to life that carries it along.  Its always diverting even when the game is putting you through the motions but I really did enjoy every combat encounter once I got my head around how to play it.

Its perhaps a little extended, the last plot twist probably could have been safely missed

Spoiler

(but it does involve fighting a proper Tolkien inspired dragon on a frozen ice world so I'll permit it)

but everything has such  good sense of humour that you forgive it.

In all honesty it doesn't have quite the same depth that The Avengers attempts in its combat system but the single minded focus in a linear single player quests makes it the far better game.

I adored it - Kena will probably pip it for my GOTY but this ran it close

Two scenes near the end really hit me in the feels, namely:

Spoiler

Gamorra telling the team she killed Nebula and the scene in which Peter convinces Nikki she's living a lie

It's ridiculous that none of these actors were nominated for a game award this year, these performances are fantastic.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

Two scenes near the end really hit me in the feels, namely:

Hide contents

Gamorra telling the team she killed Nebula and the scene in which Peter convinces Nikki she's living a lie

It's ridiculous that none of these actors were nominated for a game award this year, these performances are fantastic.

The latter had me in tears too. 

47 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

If you're referring to the recent golden joysticks, I think it may have fallen into the 2021/22 year.  Skyrim VR was released late 2017 but won the GS for Best VR game of 2018. :)

edit: I think it was just released too late in the current window. Shame, this does deserve at the very least some nominations.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

If you're referring to the recent golden joysticks, I think it may have fallen into the 2021/22 year.  Skyrim VR was released late 2017 but won the GS for Best VR game of 2018. :)

edit: I think it was just released too late in the current window. Shame, this does deserve at the very least some nominations.

No, the Keighley Game Awards thingy. :)

It is nominated for Best Story but none of the actors were nominated.

Just finished this and absolutely adored it. Gameplay definitely took second place to the narrative but it was no worse off for it. Biggest gaming surprise of 2021 by a mile. 

Obviously loved the photomode too 😉

spacer.png

My order turned up today today, and I just finished the first mission. I'm in - that was great.

Beginning of the next mission is excellent - the officer reading out the official description of the Guardians as filled out by Rocket in the application form...

I am so glad that people are picking this up now - I paid near full price and still feel it was worth every penny. If you want a fun, single player, story focused game then take a punt on it - you won’t regret it. 

Yeah, the bantz in this are, indeed, tops.

Script is top-notch. That's what I love about rllmuk - something like this that would have sailed under my radar gets some love in here, and proves worth the punt.

Cheers, everyone!

Almost near the end and I agree with all the praise. Superb voice acting, a great script with excellent characterization. The combat is serviceable imo, but everything else is a blast. Look gorgeous, too. The streamed demo during whatever conference that was, didn't do it any favours. It looks so much better than I was led to believe.

So yes, highly recommended if you're looking for a solid single-player experience.

This game is my GOTY like. Returnal being a close second, but the cinematic, art and character direction in this, is absolute lightning. 

I am hoping it has done well enough to have a sequel, where they can look at improving the gameplay elements! 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

You seen the Star Lord logo on his jacket? Metal af.

Like you had to ask! The Star Lord songs are also fucking great. 

Still loving that it has Where Eagles Dare on it. Such a badass choice for a Maiden track :wub:

• Vemsie changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

A great example of a game I’d have never considered without the forum turning my head. It’s really good fun right? I’m stinking rotten with a cold so can only handle 30 minute blasts but it’s hooked me in pretty quickly. 

Also spectacular looking with all the RTX shit turned up to max. 

Just finished it and man - what a ride. Judged purely on the story, dialogue, humor, and performances this game easily outshines the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

I really hope Eidos Montreal gets to make more. But knowing Squeenix, they'll probably say that it sold like 5 million copies and they were hoping for like 8 million to cover whatever catastrophic Final Fantasy related development needs to be propped up this time.