Chernobylite - PC - русское выживание

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/

This has been on my radar since early access, and now it's released in its final form I've had a look and the first few hours are great. There's great accessibility options so you can tailor aspects to how you want to play (very easy survival and building and hard combat for example) and it looks really nice. 

It's basically Escape From Tarkov the campaign. Each day you choose a mission goal (get meds/search for ammo etc) and spawn into a district surrounding and within Chernobyl. Along the way you find crafting components to improve your base, new weapons which you can heavily mod, other survivors who you can add to your crew and give daily missions (with a % chance of success). Some areas are pretty desolate, some are guarded by the military and some are... spookier.

I'd highly recommend it to the guys here who are into the Metro and Stalker games. It's really good stuff.

image.thumb.png.274d0ba21f6f93eb47eab53b3e4a57a9.png

49 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Really want to play this but don't have a good enough PC. Hopefully they'll make a console version.

Got Recommended in Eurogamer the other day:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-28-chernobylite-review-a-haunting-and-atmospheric-stalk-em-up

Ah, yeah pc gaming. I guess that's me out too as mine is a potato at this point.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It's basically Escape From Tarkov the campaign. 

I'd highly recommend it to the guys here who are into the Metro and Stalker games. It's really good stuff.

Ooh, I had this game confused with the bolded. So this is a campaign game a la Stalker? (which was one of most atmospheric and brilliant game series I've ever completed)

Will be all over it if so.

I know nothing about PC hardware but the reccomended specs say GeForce GTX 970 and coincidentally that's what I have... So just got to wait for Steam to download it

I really need to repurchase the STALKER games, I only had the first and third ones but on disc and my current pc doesn't have a disc drive

Edit: *looks at library*

Oh, I do have Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky...

How big a thing is the base building?

It's the single thing I hate the most in games and normally means I won't play anything with it in.

Intrigued by this so if its a small aspect, and doesn't really need to be bothered with I may be in.

1 minute ago, Dark Soldier said:

It's the single thing I hate the most in games and normally means I won't play anything with it in.

Intrigued by this so if its a small aspect, and doesn't really need to be bothered with I may be in.

Single-handedly ruined Fallout 4 for me. 

E387BF04-81AB-4ED5-ADC0-3134A0CB4F9B.thumb.jpeg.18b6f1ea84a058a24f57c69a9e823632.jpeg

Well…maybe not single-handedly. 

40 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Not the biggest fan either and you can't avoid it unfortunately. I'd compare it to something like State of Decay (at least on the easiest setting) in that it's very self explanatory and the items required to build are incredibly simplified. When I got back from my very first (albeit thorough) run, I was able to build a basic bed, a workbench to mod weapons, a workbench to make ammo and a simple generator that once built, just magically supplied power. No need to go all Sim City with wiring.

Goes without saying, but anyone picking it up, go with Russian language and subs. The English acting is awful and native is so much more atmospheric.

I'm excited cos I just found an AK in Pripyat (enemy weapons are biometrically locked) but I need to figure out how to craft lockpicks before I can get to it.

I got this for review and will have thoughts on the podcast at the weekend. 

Russian voice with english subs 100%. For me this is a mix of Metro and lite aspects of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It isn't perfect and I could easily pick apart the various aspects individually, especially the base-building as I would rather that nerve be in a game that isn't built entirely around it again. But it is dripping in atmosphere and is as tense as hell. Genuinely had my heart pounding on occassions. 

At the start I got lost in the woods and had an actual minor panic attack. I didn't get lost because of bad design or anything, but because I was in the woods with only my sense to guide me. The pacing I found excellent and it has some amazing gameplay beats. 

Headphones on and played alone at nihght are the way to go.

Apparently toom it is also the most accurate 3D recreation of the exclusiuon zone yet.

It runs :omg:

Oh.

Shit.

Already had a couple of "fuck right off" moments

Also been hitting that screenshot key like it gives me free ammo

Just some screenshots :wub:

Spoiler

20210730141724_1.thumb.jpg.4e951877f25667c0c6b1eba09eeb4038.jpg

20210730191441_1.thumb.jpg.1c454b0478635dc389b47ef48ab2479c.jpg

20210730192123_1.thumb.jpg.f5f68fd2624318d62d2bf7b3362e538b.jpg

It auto selected Ultra settings, I ran the benchmark for that and the next one down and they were roughly the same but decided to play it safe on the second highest graphical settings.

I'm really liking it, the base building is there and is required but doesn't feel intrusive so far (imo) and I like the mix of survival, stealth, horror and exploration to a story driven game that its got going on.

I have been captured and had my stuff taken off me twice now though 

Visitors to the exclusion zone often leave dolls there (because there can't have been that many left behind in 1986 as there are photos of dolls now) in places they think will creep others out.

Speaking of

Spoiler

Anyone found the room where theres a whole bunch of dolls sat watching a TV?

There's so much going on in this!

Relationship building/squad management

Investigations

"Heist" planning

Crafting

Exploration

Tension horror

Jump scares

Stealth

Survival

Currently 5 hours in and it's doing a great job of making them all feel really organic

On 30/07/2021 at 12:23, wev said:

I know nothing about PC hardware but the reccomended specs say GeForce GTX 970 and coincidentally that's what I have... So just got to wait for Steam to download it

I really need to repurchase the STALKER games, I only had the first and third ones but on disc and my current pc doesn't have a disc drive

Edit: *looks at library*

Oh, I do have Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky...

Going OT here but if you want to play STALKER have a search for STALKER: Anomoly on mod.db (work blocks anything gaming-related). Stand-alone totally free modded-up STALKER with more of everything, rolls together the maps from the official games so it's much bigger, more missions, more items, new campaign. 

Edit: https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

Going OT here but if you want to play STALKER have a search for STALKER: Anomoly on mod.db (work blocks anything gaming-related). Stand-alone totally free modded-up STALKER with more of everything, rolls together the maps from the official games so it's much bigger, more missions, more items, new campaign. 

This is ACE!

i need to remember how to play stalker!...i think i need a guide to how this works, as i dont remember half of the stuff lol

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Fucking BRILLIANT. I'm definitely going to try this out!! Thanks for posting this