Rllmuk The Game - Should we?

Rayn

A few years ago I made a simple game in RPG Maker. It was set in the 90s and all the NPCs were based on friends and aquaintances. The game was made as a "trip down memory lane" kind of project for my closest friends and a lot of the quests were based on stuff that had happened to us in real life, like the time one of my mates (who had a tendency to bring home weird stuff after a night out, like traffic cones, signs etc) kidnapped a horse on his way home from the pub and had to pretend he'd found it when he delivered it the next day. 

Another quest involved not getting caught being drunk at work as one of us had done an all nighter and forgotten it was a school night, so the quest involved talking to your co workers to have them distract the boss from getting too close to you. 

Over nearly two decades of Rllmuk we've seen quite a lot of epic posts about insane, funny or just plain weird stories. There's plenty of material to write several books on here, but would anyone be up for a collaboration project where we make a game based on the posters and their stories they've shared over the years?

I know there's a lot of talented people frequenting the forum so I'm pretty sure it'd be easy enough to find the talent but time is a precious resource for a lot of us so anyone interested in such a project must be willing to spend some time. 

Initially we could use this thread to see if it's in any way feasible to pull off and if it is we should perhaps make a Discord channel (or equivalent) where whe assign people for the various tasks. 

At the very least we need a Project Manager to drive the project, some artists for sprites and textures/patterns, some sound guys for music and sfx and at least one writer (most likely multiple) for story and dialogue. Some technical gurus to take care of coding would be neat as well but it all depends on what kind of game we're making and what engine we end up using. 

So how about it fellow posters, yay or nay?

We had this thread a few years ago. A few people said they were knocking something up in RPG Maker but it just fizzled out.

As far as I can see there’s a few issues:

A lot of the legendary forum stories involve people who left or were banned. I’m not sure how permissions work there but it seems like it probably wouldn’t be very ethical to make a game about them without their consent and getting it might be hard.

Making a game is a real time sink and a lot of our members who would be good at it have demanding jobs that make it hard to find time.

That said though, I’d be up for participating if something was happening. I’m not much use in 2D (though I’ve been meaning to learn RPG maker), but I do 3D design in Blender and make 3D stuff in UE4/5.

Yeah, there was an RPG Maker thing but it was pretty much one guy's doing.

If there's a serious push for this - I write on Wordpress and so I already do proof-reading and things. I've dipped in and out of things like Flash and Fusion so I'm not massively technical but I might be able to look at simple logic things? And art and music is a no-no for me :lol: 

EDIT: can we do an Interactive Fiction game in TWINE instead? That shit's easy for anyone to pick up, and totally text-based so collaboration is painless :P 

Given how litigious some of our most memorable ex-members are to the extent I'm scared to even use thier names so I'll use codenames for two of them, Bryce Kilimanjaro and Vitalite Enthusiast, you'll need to be careful which incidents you heark back to.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

Make it a deck building  roguelite

I'd also say a card game is easier to get everyone and everything in, without the absolute nightmare that would be recreating a lot of forum peeps and events into a single 'coherent' script.

Playing out cards against each other in a forum deck builder to gain a target amount of posts/hearts through wacky hijinks sounds a bit more 'on brand'. :P

Basically: do we want script or design to be the bugbear of development? :D

I'm sure a game based on Kerraig's life would just be like a GTA

In the sense that it's not real and just ripping off stuff seen in movies. 

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Given how litigious some of our most memorable ex-members are to the extent I'm scared to even use thier names so I'll use codenames for two of them, Bryce Kilimanjaro and Vitalite Enthusiast, you'll need to be careful which incidents you heark back to.

So, even though any decent adventure has a fishing mini game, we can't have a phishing mini game in which you play as Chase angling for Choddo's password?

It needs to have a section where you have to get through a graveyard without getting all your money stolen.

And a section on who can become top repper.

Minigame idea:

You control a car driving along a road, and traffic wardens keep dropping their ticket machines at alternating sides of the road, and you have to get a high score by running over as many of the machines as possible.

7 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I'd also say a card game is easier to get everyone and everything in, without the absolute nightmare that would be recreating a lot of forum peeps and events into a single 'coherent' script.

Playing out cards against each other in a forum deck builder to gain a target amount of posts/hearts through wacky hijinks sounds a bit more 'on brand'. :P

Basically: do we want script or design to be the bugbear of development? :D

Someone could get some physical forum  top trumps made up and sell them here. Bet that would be popular!

Ace Attorney minigame where you get poor legal advice from a certain poster in the AtF folder, and following it sees you imprisoned for several years for an unpaid parking ticket.

Rllmuk board game. Each player moves around the board in a loop/circuit - dice rolls let you move. Certain tiles on the board let you pick up event cards which affect your rep.

"Derailed serious discussion with your Sonic fanfic. Lose 5 rep"

"Summarised someone else's 20 minute video in a few sentences. Gain 2 rep."

Event cards are shuffled before play, but once they're set down, the "election" event card gets slipped to the bottom. When the election event eventually comes around, the person with the highest rep wins the game, or if there's a tie then they each roll dice until someone gets a higher number.

Space invaders like mini-game where you have to protect your garden furniture from being stolen by aggressive Americans in deepest, darkest Florida.

On 27/07/2021 at 08:53, Uzi said:

@George Clooney Made a pretty cool Rllmuk RPG a few years ago I think? (I remember because I was in it! Huzzah!)

On 27/07/2021 at 13:53, Qazimod said:

Yeah, there was an RPG Maker thing but it was pretty much one guy's doing.

If there's a serious push for this - I write on Wordpress and so I already do proof-reading and things. I've dipped in and out of things like Flash and Fusion so I'm not massively technical but I might be able to look at simple logic things? And art and music is a no-no for me :lol: 

EDIT: can we do an Interactive Fiction game in TWINE instead? That shit's easy for anyone to pick up, and totally text-based so collaboration is painless :P 

Yep that was me.

I was messing around and testing things and trying to see if I could make different things work and i just ended up using the forum members as quite a lot of people had either very well known personality traits that would make them easier to write dialogue for, or had stories that they’d shared on the forum that could be used. Plus I thought if I did that it would be a sneaky way to get feedback from you lot.

I actually enjoyed making it, but could only really think of a vague outline of the story. When it came to the specifics of what I wanted to do, I could never really get something going so I just didn’t make much progress besides initial testing.  I made an initial village that had a story of Spainkiller kidnapping your female party member who you had to rescue, and I think I was going to follow that with a quest to find JPickford who was once a legendary defender of the realm who went into a life of solitude after using his banhammer too many times.  I’d also planned to make the areas you go through names after the 3 main consoles with forumites you’d associate with each one, as well as a heaven like area for the pc master race types which of course would actually have been super corrupt. The twist ending I was going to do was that after the player arrives in the world and doesn’t know who they are or how they got there, and then doing all this to find out and get home, it’s revealed you were actually smitty playing the game on his pc in his bedroom and he slags it off in smitty like fashion.

Reading back through the thread there’s a lot of old jokes or references that I think newer members would be scratching there head about, like sweetdaddyg or the guy who’s car was being vandalized.  There’s also some jokes I’m surprised no one gave me shit for at the time. Shesaid took her character in good spirits despite me basically making it so she said nonsense.

RPG maker is pretty easy to use as long as you use the pre made assets to be honest. As long as you can come up with writing and puzzles or something for it, I’d recommend trying it, it’s easy pick up