Kids programs that adults should watch

MarkN

37 minutes ago, smac said:

Amazing World of Gumball. The imaginary car chase in one of the early series is possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

No, the chase was real. It's the cars that were imaginary. And the episode where the dad gets a job delivering pizza, thereby threatening the balance of the universe has one of the darkest, yet still hilarious scenes I've seen in a kid's animation.

I'd forgotten about that. I remember hearing howls of laughter coming from one of my kids when they saw this for the first time.

I'm another fan of Teen Titans Go. It's so good. Probably the only thing my kids watch that I genuinely enjoy.

It's so well written, and densely packed with gags, lots of which are clearly written for adults.

18 hours ago, MarkN said:

"Bluey" is the latest. Oh by gosh! this is good.

IPlayer link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000vkvb/bluey-series-1-8-horsey-ride

Our almost 4year old started on Bluey and it is very good indeed. Me and Mrs.Fireproofradiator actually picking up parenting tips but they've got good comedy writers on it. We've been looking for Bluey presents and the merch is just coming out now but lots of stuff already sold out. I think its gonna be the next Peppa Pig/fucking massive.

On The Pig; its not the tv show but the book Peppa Pig at the Zoo is extremely funny. 

Another shout for Ben & Holly. It’s really smart, with lots of stuff going on about class (the fairies being the royalty, the elves being the servants). I’m a bit sad my kids are older and don’t watch it now, though they are starting to get nostalgic about shows so we may see a revival soon. 

i bet Nanny Plum is a scream on a night out on the gin, even though she’s quite racist about elves. 

Aside from that, I really like Sooty. There are usually episodes kicking around in ITV Player. They’ve done very well to preserve the tone of the Matthew Corbett era, and there are plenty of 80s celebs to amuse parents (The Krankees, Frank Bruno, that kinda thing). I’d never sit and watch it by myself, but occasionally I’ll convince my two (11 and 13) to grudgingly watch an episode, and they never regret it. 

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I was always a bit secretly fond of parts of Gigglebiz. There were some true quality bits of slapstick and delivery. Maybe I should check out some of his standup. 

Justin Fletcher pitched it to the Beeb, as The Fast Show for pre-schoolers. Brilliant idea. 

Maybe it was the sleep deprivation at the time but I found his terrible Geordie accent for Keith Fit hilarious. Also his West Country accent where he’d pronounce ‘sponge’ as ‘Spenge’.

6 hours ago, revlob said:

Hilda

Over the Garden Wall

Steven Universe

My kid's are obsessed with Steven Universe. Absolutely love the show, quote it, sing the songs, have desktop and phone wallpaper. I paid a stupid amount of money for the pop vinyls of their favourite figures for Christmas last. It's a very good show. They went from Gravity Falls, which they loved, on to Steven Universe. I'm pretty sure they've seen Hilda as well. 

I liked what I've seen of Steven Universe; like Adventure Time, it seems to be a hugely inclusive show.

I worry less about the yoof of today when they grow up watching smart shows like this. I think they're less likely to turn into gammons in the future.

1 hour ago, Twinbee said:

Justin Fletcher pitched it to the Beeb, as The Fast Show for pre-schoolers. Brilliant idea. 

Maybe it was the sleep deprivation at the time but I found his terrible Geordie accent for Keith Fit hilarious. Also his West Country accent where he’d pronounce ‘sponge’ as ‘Spenge’.

I really enjoy Keith “doin’ it for twenny year” Fit lol. There are just a few gems dotted about. I think Rapids Johnson has made me laugh and I want an adult version of Dina Lady, because she’s a premium candidate for dropping in a “stupid cunt”. 

It's been mentioned but gravity falls is genuinely great TV and also what is nice is that quite a lot of TV for the kids doesn't have nearly as much bigotry as loads of the stuff we grew up with does.

Some of these are out of date as my son is older now...

Gigglebiz and Justins House are both great - genuinely funny

In the Night garden is perfect for my bedtime let alone my son (every night) :D

Rastamouse

Abney and Teal because it made me wonder if I was on drugs the whole time I watched it.

Sarah and Duck for same reasons

EDIT - forgot Old Jack's boat - a fantastic set of performances by Bernard Cribbins and a crushingly heartbreaking story for one of the specials.

I genuinely always watched an enjoyed the title music to In The Night Gundah, as my eldest used to call it. And especially because he would come to me crying whenever it played because the music was so moving.

(Not that I enjoy my kids crying. I just know he was getting to experience a strong emotion).

My youngest was obsessed with the shitty cartoons of kids songs, but my ex and I used to enjoy them because of the fucking absurdity of them lol. Some of them were so fucking freaky. Chu Chu TV was a good one. 

He just LOVED Johnny Johnny Yes Papa Papa and wanted to watch every version on YouTube. 

I mean…..what the fuck :lol:

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is excellent. It’s the one I remember because I was watching it with my kids one day when a friend was round. I went to put the boys to bed and when I came down it was still on. I apologised and went to turn it off and he just went “nah leave it on”. We watched a whole series of it that night and it was brilliant.

56 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I really enjoy Keith “doin’ it for twenny year” Fit lol. There are just a few gems dotted about. I think Rapids Johnson has made me laugh and I want an adult version of Dina Lady, because she’s a premium candidate for dropping in a “stupid cunt”. 

Keith Fits amazing and yes! Dina Lady teaming up with Gordon Ramsey! 

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

EDIT - forgot Old Jack's boat - a fantastic set of performances by Bernard Cribbins and a crushingly heartbreaking story for one of the specials.

My friend Paul and his dog Scuzz were in that show :)

Avatar The Last Airbender and, to a lesser degree, Legend of Korra are both superb “kids” shows and worth anybody’s time. 

Bluey, Hey Duggee, Dog LovesBooks and Love Monster are all popular in our household. 

Teen Titans Go is the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen but frequently hilarious. Teen Titans Go to the Movies is brilliant, as well. 

We've just started Bluey and it's amazing. There are 104 episodes of it on Disney+ so going to be watching it a long time yet.

I really like Octonauts. It's like pre-school Star Trek TNG (or Seaquest 😕 ) and we used to watch it all the time.

But my son is going through a Paw Patrol phase now and I'm not a fan. I can see why kids like it but it has absolutely no depth. No interesting facts, no jokes grown ups would enjoy too, no stupid references. 

Cory Carson on Netflix is pretty good. It does the key thing of the kids in it going about their fun, but the grown ups sharing knowing looks at each other that you catch too but your kids miss. 

In a lot of ways I appreciate those adult nods more in shows that aren’t renowned for them. Gumball, Adventure Time, Regular Show and all those are brilliant, but that extra layer of humour is well known and fully expected. I used to love the bleary eyed early mornings where you’d have to put something like The Hoobs on at 5:30am having seen 15 or 20 unremarkable episodes, and something happens that shocks you out of that early morning fuzziness because it’s so out of place. I think that’s why the Peppa phone hang-up is so funny, because it was rare for that level of humour to be on the show.

Some of these sound great. Will chase them up, thanks.

I wondered if me saying I wanted a Bingo plushy (rather than a Bluey one) in the OP was odd, but no - it seems I'm not alone. We are clean out of Bingos at work:

_bluey01.thumb.jpg.b92b7ecad01cecf6291e9fc1e457cd60.jpg

I was always quite partial to the adventures of abney and teal, like lifting the lid on some crack heads dreams and just watching for 15 minutes. Absolutely mental.

On 23/07/2021 at 13:17, marsh said:

I was always quite partial to the adventures of abney and teal, like lifting the lid on some crack heads dreams and just watching for 15 minutes. Absolutely mental.

My son calls it Quack Quack. 🙂

Took us a while to figure out what he was asking for!

Abney and Teal used to be on every night at dinner time. Haven’t seen it for ages! The kids call their grandad Bop, I think because of the big brown thing that comes out of the water. Mad old show though and I liked it so much more than the Night Garden that  always followed. 

Quite a few shows mentioned in the thread that I’ve not seen. One that I haven’t seen mentioned is Little Big Awesome, which was on Amazon and I’ve now seen showing on CBBC. 

The Amelia Gething Complex: a loony-tunes show that I hope is as formative to 10-11 year olds right now as Dark Season & Maid Marian were to me at that age.

Highlights include: a romance with a lift, a London apartment hidden inside a turkey, TELETEXT JOKES, multiple apocalypses, Dull World, and a dark future ruled by wasps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ppjrf/the-amelia-gething-complex-series-1-1-moving-in?seriesId=p07ppjkc