$1.5 million for a single videogame (modern day auctions)

Sketch

This is a colossally stupid question but: how confident can they really be about the grade on a sealed item? Some ants could’ve got in there and just completely hollowed it out. It’s probably mint in box in there but do they at least X-ray it?

Just now, Alex W. said:

This is a colossally stupid question but: how confident can they really be about the grade on a sealed item? Some ants could’ve got in there and just completely hollowed it out. It’s probably mint in box in there but do they at least X-ray it?

Given they get paid more if it's worth more, do they care?

with my work we produce ltd edition prints of the originals and the quality of printing these days is insane.

I always see these things and wonder how easy is it to replicate these boxes, invest in a shrink wrapper and a sealing machine and off you go? I mean your not opening it right if youve spent 2 mil on it.

Ive seen bootleg Harland Miller prints knocking about and know of people making them.

11 minutes ago, Dave White said:

with my work we produce ltd edition prints of the originals and the quality of printing these days is insane.

I always see these things and wonder how easy is it to replicate these boxes, invest in a shrink wrapper and a sealing machine and off you go?

Fancy going into business? Bootleg carts are getting big now too. I got burned on a bootleg Super Metroid cart so I outright refuse to buy retro stuff any more. But with this printing you mention, yeah, how difficult would it be to get a loose original cart, make a perfect box replica, seal it, then sell for massive amounts?

That'll probably drive business to WATA as people want "experts" to confirm authenticity and buyers want that WATA seal of approval.

I never thought I would live in a world where this happens.

Finally. Games are now the same as real art. Take that, naysayers! (this is sarcasm, by the way)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Schrödinger's Mario

This is the funniest post this thread. This, people, this is how you do comedy.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

For some reason this all reminded me of when Game used to write all over their pre-owned games, boxes and manuals with permanent marker. That really should have resulted in prison sentences. 

Just this weekend I went to a

charity shop and saw a range of old RPGs and board games that had been carefully marked as “Excellent condition, complete, £8” in biro on the front of the box. Not by the charity shop, at least - they’d put their own price sticker on elsewhere.

I've got a few factory sealed games kicking about, from the gamecube original xbox era. It's horrifically wasteful, but I had too much time on my hands and far too much disposable income. The only things I think are worth any kind of money are the sealed copy of metroid prime on the gamecube and I think I've got a copy of panzer dragoon orta that's still in it's wrapper on the xbox. What you have to appreciate that we/us don't dictate what the market values this shit at, someone else does and you can only hope that if you've still got something mint, that your luck comes in.

Madness? absolutely. There's a living to be made from it.

Think I’ve only got one sealed game, The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition on GameCube, can someone give me a shout when that’s worth £1.5M, I’ll take a bit less 😀. I still haven’t played Majora’s Mask either, I just never got round to it.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Ive seen bootleg Harland Miller prints knocking about and know of people making them.

The price they go for I shouldn't be surprised that they are being knocked off but still am a little.

The high dollar, more iconic, images were/are proper screen prints though so surely digital prints, however good, would be reasonably easy to identify? 

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The price they go for I shouldn't be surprised that they are being knocked off but still am a little.

The high dollar, more iconic, images were/are proper screen prints though so surely digital prints, however good, would be reasonably easy to identify? 

its easy to do digital giclee's and spot uv screens over the top, look very very similar indeed. I know a dealer that got sussed due to someone actually owning the same edition number. 

I have all the main/core pokemon games, original complete in box and the value of the earlier ones has skyrocketed. Can't even imagine the value of a sealed copy of say Pokemon Crystal.

I owned a sealed copy of Twighlight Princess for the Gamecube until recently (2018) sold it along with a few valuable other parts of my games collection, it's now looking like it was a bad decision.

I think some shenanigans are definitely happening with this $1.5m sale though. 

15 minutes ago, Graham S said:

How much is the fine art behind his head valued at?

From the top of the head that’s visible behind him I’d guess it’s Alfred E. Neuman on the rack, so probably an original Mad cover. My guess: a lot.

8 minutes ago, Dave White said:

its easy to do digital giclee's and spot uv screens over the top, look very very similar indeed. I know a dealer that got sussed due to someone actually owning the same edition number. 

I guess so.

Pretty grim that it is at a dealer level too but I guess art selling has always attracted some real shady bastards. I remember a serious number of artists being ripped off by a fella who used to run a gallery in East London which he wound up, opened a new space with celebrity funding in Soho, and who is now, coincidentally, making a living ripping off Harland Miller. 

the last few years I've got into chasing and collecting arcade games I loved as a kid ( another hair brained idea of middle age) what I don't get is although sealed the amount of these in comparison to vintage arcade games must be so many more knocking about compared yet antique cabinets don't come near these prices thankfully . Im sure more of these sealed versions are going to turn up once this hits the headlines.

3 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I guess so.

Pretty grim that it is at a dealer level too but I guess art selling has always attracted some real shady bastards. I remember a serious number of artists being ripped off by a fella who used to run a gallery in East London which he wound up, opened a new space with celebrity funding in Soho, and who is now, coincidentally, making a living ripping off Harland Miller. 

sadly we've all been there...

I've got around 85 sealed Limited Run PS Vita games. Maybe I should buy a small island now and get some sharks with lasers on their heads.

I've also got a sealed US copy of Chrono Trigger on DS but I think that's the only older sealed game I have.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've got a sealed Japanese copy of Chrono Trigger on the SNES @strider, which one do you think is worth more? Mine is in pristine condition. Am I rich?

Well I've just noticed a sealed copy of Maiden Of Black Water on Wii U and Tactics Ogre on PSP, so I think we're both rich and we should maybe combine our money to buy the moon.

1 minute ago, strider said:

Well I've just noticed a sealed copy of Maiden Of Black Water on Wii U and Tactics Ogre on PSP, so I think we're both rich and we should maybe combine our money to buy the moon.

I've got a bridge you could buy....

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Think I’ve only got one sealed game, The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition on GameCube, can someone give me a shout when that’s worth £1.5M, I’ll take a bit less 😀. I still haven’t played Majora’s Mask either, I just never got round to it.

I have bad news, I'm going to need to destroy your copy.

751712381_2021-07-1217_22_53.thumb.jpg.1ffe00da634db3c03a357e85b322dd88.jpg

5 minutes ago, strider said:

I'm also looking for monorails.

I hear those things are awful loud.

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

I always see these things and wonder how easy is it to replicate these boxes, invest in a shrink wrapper and a sealing machine and off you go? I mean your not opening it right if youve spent 2 mil on it.

This is my issue with stuff like this. It's replicable. The Mona Lisa, you're only ever going to have one of that. Any copy of it will always be different, no matter if you got another artist to paint it. It has some value being the only 1 of something. But Mario 64, something that came off a production line and can be remade today to look and feel exactly the same? Same with comics i suppose, is there a need to own something that is 20 years old, despite one printed today looking exactly the same? It's just so odd to me for stuff like this, it was made once, it can be remade again. Now if only i could get the contact details of the guy who bought this, cos i've got some stuff i've made he can have the only one in existance of for a few million.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Fancy going into business? Bootleg carts are getting big now too. I got burned on a bootleg Super Metroid cart so I outright refuse to buy retro stuff any more. But with this printing you mention, yeah, how difficult would it be to get a loose original cart, make a perfect box replica, seal it, then sell for massive amounts?

And there's no reason that cart has to be the same game of course, it's essentially ballast.

It's probably pretty easy, most replica makers put replica on theirs these days but of course they have to put it on the inside...

But you can do it, for instance....

These are 2 original SMS games.  Both are in the rare category to put it mildly on the system.

The boxes are original, I'll tell you they're basically mint inside because I bought both in the mid 90s.

One of them, the inlay is 25 years old.  One of them the inlay isn't 25 days old, because I got the fine people at oddprints to reprint one for a game I bought without a sleeve in Dixons.

492981771_2021-07-1120_23_23.thumb.jpg.743f6d4d41c38e429dffece80acf0ae5.jpg

You'd struggle to tell, and you'd struggle even more if it was sealed in a heavy plastic box.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I have bad news, I'm going to need to destroy your copy.

751712381_2021-07-1217_22_53.thumb.jpg.1ffe00da634db3c03a357e85b322dd88.jpg

I hear those things are awful loud.

If this the one that was available from the Nintendo Stars catalogue back then, I have bad news for you both :lol:

Mine is rarer too as it's still sealed in the jiffy back that Nintendo Stars catalogue shipped it to me in as it arrived, I already had the disc from Mario Kart, and stuck it in a storage box without even opening the package, or perhaps it's Schrödinger Zelda.