Jett The Far Shore (PC/PS) - October 5th

gospvg

Obvious comparisons to NMS but I'm hoping this is more fleshed out with a story.

Blurb on PlayStation website.

Jett: The Far Shore invites you on an interstellar trip to carve out a future for a people haunted by oblivion in this cinematic action-adventure. As scout Mei, be the first to deploy to a mythic ocean planet.

Take the helm of a 'jett' and explore a vast unknown – skim low over waves, roar up pristine coastlines and carve through otherworldly woods. Adapt to an intricate, systemic open world and persevere through adversity alongside an intimate ensemble cast in this story of courage, wonder and regret.

Embark on an exploratory single-player adventure presented in five captivating acts encompassing monumental moments, laid-back exploration, occasional white-knuckle action, moments of heartfelt companionship, and a helping of existential dread.

Looks interesting. I like the zoomed-out perspective, the movement and the music. Edge did a feature on it last month which made it sound interesting. But then, those features do that with pretty much every game. I appreciated Swords and Sworcery, their previous game, but ultimately I got bored with it. There wasn't that much to get your teeth into. Hopefully this will have a bit more meat on the bone.

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

Obvious comparisons to NMS but I'm hoping this is more fleshed out with a story.

Yeah, they shifted focus when NMS was announced towards a more structured, story-led approach. 

21 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Yeah, they shifted focus when NMS was announced towards a more structured, story-led approach. 

If only there was somewhere I could read a really excellent preview of Jett that got me to shout "OH YEAH IT'S THIS!!" on a zoom call with my mates whilst watching the State of Play last night. 

13 hours ago, Rudderless said:

Wasn’t NMS announced some 8 years ago now? How long have they been making this?

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

Wasn’t NMS announced some 8 years ago now? How long have they been making this?

The initial concept has been kicking around since 2007, but development started after Superbrothers released Sword & Sworcery, around a decade ago. 

This looks really, really good. The weirdly distant handling of the scout ship reminds me of something specific but I can't pinpoint exactly what. The RC Minigame of Stunt Race FX maybe. Probably not.

I'm interested in the gentle exploration of it. The premise of the story seems similar to Harold Halibut but the gameplay is obviously wildly different.

30 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

It looks shit. I’m starting to think people have lost their minds when it comes to new games.

A fucking next gen game? It looks like a high res magic carpet

Bye then!

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It looks shit. I’m starting to think people have lost their minds when it comes to new games.

A fucking next gen game? It looks like a high res magic carpet

Someone's had a pint. 

13 hours ago, Jamie John said:

GeneralDimwittedAdder-max-1mb.gif

Haha. This could be the standard reply to any Debaser post on the gaming forum. :D

The Edge article made it sound very interesting indeed. I hope the final game delivers on those promises.

Looks dull as fuck but developer is a sacred cow so we'll get Polygon et al losing their minds over it for months.

I like the idea of bringing back that 'zoomed out' ship perspective but the environment looks basic in a world where NMS exists. Why is there no character animation? When I think of the wonder of space exploration I definitely think of scowling weeble people and heavy handed environmental/colonisation allegories. Fun!

There needs to be some sort of 'wow' factor, it doesn't have to be pure technical brute force (Paper Beast for example blew my mind with what is relatively quite modest tech), but there has to be something.

There's definitely a pattern of indies who had a big hit in that 'indie game the movie' hype wave making a load of money and disappearing up their arses for years. Overland and the forthcoming Beast Breaker come to mind as well. Making a three minute pop song at the right moment does not automatically translate into people wanting your concept double-LP of jazzy prog noodling.

Looks incredibly bland to me if I'm being honest. Especially held up against No Man's Sky, Sable, Subnautica, Abzu, that game where you played as a couple on an alien world from last year, etc. 

Even the Falconeer which is a terrible game, at least it had a sense of atmosphere.

• 1 month later...
  • gospvg changed the title to Jett The Far Shore (PC/PS) - October 5th