Skate 1 - Still surprisingly playable!

acidbearboy

I’d been sharing a few skating videos with a mate at work and had recommended him the Skate games. I’d not played them for the best part of a decade but I watched a few old clips  and read some of the rllmuk thread from back in the day and that was enough to encourage me to dig out my Xbox 360 and play them again.

I had anticipated having a quick play on Skate 1 before moving on to the superior Skate 2, but it’s actually really enjoyable and I currently have no reason to move on to the sequels. The inability to get off your board is a minor annoyance, but the world does at least seem to be designed with it in mind. Every sweet looking stair set has sloped access not too far away. 

I’ve been playing in Freeskate mode, just finding spots and making lines. Yesterday I started filming the highlights with my phone, as online functionality is no longer available. Though I understand that you can upload game footage from the Xbox One. 

Here are yesterday’s highlights from the Skate Plaza and Old Town area. 

I did prefer 2 eventually, but the original is still an amazing game. I spent so many hours making videos.

Kinda gutted that the new generation of skate games aren't scratching the itch for me.

I've been playing Skate 3 loads since EA Play came to Game Pass. It's the perfect thing to have permanently in Quick Resume, which quickly becomes self-evident on the occasions where you have to load it from scratch and sit through loads of splash screens.

is Skate 3 not considered the best of the trilogy then? I did play 1 and 2 but couldn't tell you about any of the nuances between them.

I didn’t get into Skate 3 when it originally came out. I don’t know if that was due to the game itself or just that I had burnt myself out on Skate 1 and 2 in quick succession previously. This guy Nightspeeds on YouTube has some Skate related videos on his channel and has done a comparison of all 3 titles. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, which is echoed in the comments where nobody seems to agree on a favourite.

Skate 3 was just a little too bloated for me, and felt a little less realistic.  Not that any of them were realistic, but compared to the THPS series they were on another level.  I still remember the demo for the original Skate.  It was revolutionary, and I played it for so many hours. 

If you're playing S3 in free-play mode though, it's great.  There's nothing wrong with it at all.  I still play it often on my Xbox One.  I do wish they'd make #2 backwards compatible, though.

I did some research for EA around 2004ish for Skate, I guess the game was very early in development back then. They wanted to have a go at the skate genre after Tony Hawk and decided that they really wanted the backing of the skater community, and wanted a more realistic approach. It was the most fun project, I got to hang out at a London skate shop for a week, then interview skaters at Southbank and Elephant and Castle. I watched their skate videos along with stoned commentary. They were the nicest community, so welcoming, it was such a blast.

Still finding plenty of great spots around and the film/edit with your phone option is super quick and easy to do. 

I’m always trying to chain a few tricks together and keep things clean and reasonably realistic looking.

Here’s some stairs and rails action from the lake area. 

Here’s a couple of small grind combos and big gaps from Downtown. I don’t know how realistic these gaps are! I spent fucking ages trying to grind the yellow rail after making the big gap at the end. Finally managed it after about half hour of trying, but it didn’t even look that impressive in the reply so I didn’t film it!

That's cool.  One thing you may want to consider if you're going for realism, is to try and start the rotation just before you leave the ground/feature.  I always found that starting a spin once you're in the air just made it look a little more unreal.

Damnit, now I want to get back into it.  I wish it was on Playstation, as my Xbox is in the wrong room and I'm ridiculously lazy.

On 07/07/2021 at 17:15, catinthehat said:

I still remember the demo for the original Skate.  It was revolutionary, and I played it for so many hours. 

Yes! Up there with the MGS2 Tanker chapter for me. 

They were all good games but my memory is of them becoming increasingly cynical with their DLC (wasn’t the video editing a paid extra in the sequels?) and the introduction of Jason Lee was a bit too reminiscent of how the Tony Hawk titles embraced Margera and the Jackass manchildren as they got increasingly desperate for relevance. 

4 hours ago, catinthehat said:

That's cool.  One thing you may want to consider if you're going for realism, is to try and start the rotation just before you leave the ground/feature.  I always found that starting a spin once you're in the air just made it look a little more unreal.

Damnit, now I want to get back into it.  I wish it was on Playstation, as my Xbox is in the wrong room and I'm ridiculously lazy.

I’ll bear that in mind, thanks. I don’t actually skate, so it’s hard to get the balance sometimes. Although like you say, some movements just don’t look natural when you watch the replay back. 

8 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Some inspiration from a 12 year old. Keep it simple and the style will flow.

Going to sound square saying this but it's a bit grim watching a 12 year old doing that kind of shit without wearing a helmet. The trick at 57 seconds for example could have easily gone so, so, wrong.

To summarize:

Just in case anyone wasn't aware, Skate 3 is on Xbox Gamepass and plays great at 4k/60fps on X (not sure about S, I assume so).  I was a bit surprised to see it in the store, but it's been one of my most played games so far!  All of these shiny new games and I'm playing something from 2010...

It's far too early to get excited.  But by christ I hope they don't fuck it up.

I was tempted to make a list of all the things they could put in the game to ruin it for me, but somebody from EA might see it and mistake it for a wish list. 

Please don't feature Jason Lee.  Please don't feature Jason Lee.  Please don't feature Jason Lee...

Re-master the original trilogy. Pop on switch and other consoles/PC and make money. Then use that to keep fans happy until new game come out