Exandria Unlimited - Critical Role miniseries - 8 episodes starting June 24th (Twitch) or 28th (YouTube) - All episodes out!

MDY

Critical-Role-Exandria-Unlimited.thumb.jpg.9140983159075964c0ac5b90f4b17d1b.jpg

What  is Exandria Unlimited?
Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by (and existing within, the same world as Critical Role) just in a shorter, more digestible format..

Erm, sorry.. What is Critical Role..?

Critical Role is a weekly livestreamed tabletop roleplaying game featuring a group of prominent voice actors and best friends.
Each week, veteran Game Master Matthew Mercer leads the cast through epic adventures set in the world of Exandria!

Beginning on the Geek and Sundry Twitch channel back in March 2015, the show's popularity has snowballed and it has become it's own little entertainment franchise, with books, figures and other merchandise being eagerly snapped up by the fanbase of 'Critters.'
But the huge success was their 2019 Kickstarter to produce an animated episode.. The $750,000 goal was blown past in minutes, with the campaign ending up as a 10 episode series after raking in over $13 million in pledges. Amazon then came onboard as partner to put the show on Prime, meaning there will now be (at least) two series totalling 24 episodes produced. The first series is likely to screen later this year.
Six years and two major campaigns later, Critical Role is now it's own production studio, which creates weekly streamed media as well as having set up it's own charitable foundation that raises money for good causes both domestic and international.

I’ve never watched a tabletop roleplaying show before. What should I know?

Tabletop roleplaying games (TTRPGs) are built upon collaborative storytelling. A Game Master (GM) performs the role of both narrator and architect creating characters, locations, and adventures for the players who roleplay unique characters with their own motivations. Exandria Unlimited uses 5th Edition D&D which means that success is determined by the roll of the dice and the contents of the player’s character sheets, though it’s important to remember that rules within any TTRPG are merely guidelines and subject to interpretation based on the GM and the players at the table.

Roleplaying is collaboration and trust in its most basic form. It’s believing in magic and chasing it down. It’s incredible one-of-a-kind stories that are unique to the table they’re told around. The best part about TTRPGs? Everyone plays differently, and there’s magic to be found at every table in every style.

Who are the players..?

Unique to this show is that regular GM Matt Mercer (Overwatch/Titanfall 2) will actually be a player, giving up the big DM chair to Aabriya Iyengar (Saving Throw, Dimension 20) Matt joins CR regulars Ashley Johnson (The Last of US/NBC's Blindspot) and Liam O'Brien (Asura's Wrath/Darksiders) and RPG newbies Aimee Carrero (She-Ra) and Robbie Daymond (Marvel's Spider-Man)

Critical Role has previously spent hundreds of hours playing through the stories of it's heroes during its two prior campaigns.

This time around, viewers should expect a more concise experience. It’s just the thing for those who might have been put off by the sheer amount of time required to experience the previous campaigns. The story will draw on existing lore, but this is a whole new adventure with fresh faces and unique stories to tell.

“It’s the perfect thing because it creates this narrative scalpel,” said Iyengar. “It’s a very different type of storytelling in a familiar world.”

Exandria Unlimited, is scheduled to premiere on Thursday, June 24, 2021, at 7 PM PDT (3am UK time!)

However, the episode will be rebroadcast at both 8am and 5pm on Friday 25th on the Critical Role Twitch channel.
The VOD will be immediately available for Twitch subscribers; however, it will then be available to watch on the Critical Role YouTube channel on Monday, June 28th at 8pm.

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

The Critical Role community is one of the most horrible, toxic, gate keepery shitebags and I hope beyond hope they aren’t completely vile to Aabriya. 

Oh no. :( How does something like this attack such horrendous people?

I'm really looking forward to this. I did watch a few episodes of the second CR campaign, but it soon balooned off into the distance and I couldn't keep up. A more concise spin-off sounds perfect for me, and the cast seem great.

People get attached to things and sometimes that attachment breeds a sense of ownership and entitlement. 

The great thing with the longer campaigns is that they’re always there for you, you can dip in and out as required, you don’t have to try and keep up. 

That wasn't quite the 'warm welcome to people new to the show' first response post I was hoping for.. 😕

But I don't think @Doctor Shark is intending to scare anyone off.. (He's just made the topic for CR Campaign 3 after all..)

Especially given this short series is ideal for people to give the show a try..

From my own perspective, I've honestly not had any issues with other fans. Met nothing but lovely people at MCM when the cast guested over here..

Of course you will always get the usual few loud dickheads on Twitter wanting to moan/trying to stir and yes some fans get way too attached/feel entitled to various 'ships' but that's the case with everything with a fanbase on the internet now. They're easily ignored.

I've found the good outweighs the bad by a large amount. There's an amazing art community and the fans also raise a lot of money for various charities.

Recent example.. the photographer that does all the promo images for their Youtube videos etc - her studio burned down.. Her friends put up a gofundme to get her back on her feet, the cast tweeted and it hit the target within hours.. then doubled it.

The reactions I've seen to Aabria taking the reigns for this have thankfully been very positive, she made a good impression in her episode as storyteller on CR's Narrative Telephone series and she's been on multiple other tabletop shows.

I personally think changing things up like this is a great idea. I'd be onboard for the longer campaigns to be broken up into chapters every few months with one of these run inbetween with a changed up cast.. (couple of the main cast with a few new faces or some of the wonderful previous guests)

Would give people a chance to catch up on the regular series too.

And for most people viewing it the community doesn't matter.

I've listened on and off to the second campaign. Started ages ago but only got about 25 in and now up to 40 something. No idea what the community is like because to me it's pretty much just a podcast.

Yes it should be pointed out that you don’t have to see anything of the community. Watch the YouTube vids and dont scroll to the comments or watch twitch and leave chat off.

i did used to look at it but the minority whinging about rules or lack of min maxing or too much min maxing and catastrophising every battle was wearing 🙂

the majority are lovely though

OK going to spoiler this for now, but here are the characters/classes for the players as revealed so far..

Spoiler

ExU-Chars.thumb.jpg.9a4bb5b6ba7044b7abb3f4e3daba1ef6.jpg

Robbie is playing Dorian Storm, an Air Genasi(?) bard.

Ashley is playing Fearne Calloway, a faun druid.

Matt is playing Dariax, a dwarven sorceror.

Liam is playing Orym, a halfling fighter from the Air Ashari tribe..

Amy is playing Opal, a human warlock.

I’ve watched about the first 45 minutes so far and really into it. The new DM is fantastic, really paints a picture of the little details and love the little ability check rolls thrown in in reaction to the small events the players describe. Letting them weave their initial tale but adding to it and playing off of it.

Episode 1 - The Nameless Ones

Five burgeoning adventurers explore the Upper Slums of Emon and take a job offered by a mysterious thief, but what they discover may be more dangerous than any of them bargained for...

• MDY changed the title to Exandria Unlimited - Critical Role miniseries - 8 episodes starting June 24th (Twitch) or 28th (YouTube) - Ep1 out!

I’m about half way through now, and they (the characters) are all *so* dumb. 

It has a little dip after the intros when they don’t really know what to do, but it’s good fun though, and the new players and DM seem entertaining. 

Episode 2 - The Oh No Plateau

The party makes their way to the Fire Ashari, but their search for answers yields only more questions, deeper conflict.. and.. ash-holes..? 

On 25/06/2021 at 18:18, Doctor Shark said:

A fighter with 10 strength and 18 dex…interesting. I’d never have guessed it was supposed to be a halfling from that picture, either. Looks like an elf. 

Ive done that - and Ferret’s character in last campaign. 

Use weapons that can be Dex based (eg Rapiers) and you can dual wield to make up for lower base damage 

Dex fighters are pretty good to be honest nand it is tempting to use STR as a dump stat if you are playing pure dexy fighty. The main "gamey" issue is the damage die for dex fighting weapons is usually lower, I think the highest is rapier at 1d8 (and scimitar probably). Dual wield is the key in that situation as Hexx says.

On 06/07/2021 at 11:32, Hexx said:

Ive done that - and Ferret’s character in last campaign. 

Use weapons that can be Dex based (eg Rapiers) and you can dual wield to make up for lower base damage 

Or go ranged & take the Sharpshooter feat for that lovely +10 damage..

Doesn't hurt that you benefit most from improving DEX (and therefore also your AC) and can then look to boost CON for a decent HP total instead of needing to make your casting/strength stat a priority..

54 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

We have been loving this. Aabria is a great DM and everyone is actually excited to play unlike the damp squib that was the end of Campaign 2

She is very good indeed, and I like the way she uses more spontaneous checks and saves to determine what happens. Also interesting to note that she asks them to roll and then asks who was above/below a specific number rather than ask them for the numbers and then announce whether they succeeded. Less potential for adjusting the target without anyone knowing to get the results you want. 

Episode 3 - A Glorious Return

The group must return to Emon to seek the expertise of a powerful runechild, but the seeming simplicity of this task is made more complicated by the Nameless Ones' relentless pursuit... Also shopping!

Episode 4 - By The Road

The adventurers continue their travels south through Tal'Dorei, but the past comes calling for them all in very different ways... 

• MDY changed the title to Exandria Unlimited - Critical Role miniseries - 8 episodes starting June 24th (Twitch) or 28th (YouTube) - Ep4 out!

Episode 5 - A Test of Worth

As the adventurers make their way into the jungles of the Rifenmist, inner and outer conflicts begin to surface among the members of the party...

Episode 6 - The Gift Among the Green

Finally arriving at Niirdal-Poc, the surprised adventurers discover something more ancient and thriving than the simple ruins of a lost city...

• MDY changed the title to Exandria Unlimited - Critical Role miniseries - 8 episodes starting June 24th (Twitch) or 28th (YouTube) - Ep1-6 out!

Episode 7 - Beyond the Heart City

Pressing deeper into the jungle, the group stumbles upon an intriguing puzzle, but unlocking its mysteries leads to a dangerous encounter…

Episode 8 - What Comes Next..

Face to face with the foe who has been following them through the jungle, the group must use every ability and asset at their disposal to contend with a force that threatens to tear them apart at the very seams...

Don't think it's majorly spoilery, (but probably best left until after you've seen it) D&D Beyond have an interview with Aabriya touching on some of the choices she made during the series..

• MDY changed the title to Exandria Unlimited - Critical Role miniseries - 8 episodes starting June 24th (Twitch) or 28th (YouTube) - All episodes out!
  • 2 weeks later...