5 Guys - it makes no sense.

dumpster

I've been to a number of Five Guys (both here and the US) and one thing I've never experienced is it being fast. I've also had very inconsistent fries, with some being a soggy mess whilst others have been great.

The burger itself is good but it is expensive, so I really need to be in the mood for a burger to go there (and often when I'm out where there's a Five Guys, there are other, cheaper places I can choose to eat.)

amazingly that video and his youtube presence has secured him a Netflix show reviewing deep fried food eateries - its not very good but some of the food looks incredible

I need deep fried ravioli in my life.

I've actively avoided going in as it assume I'm not their target market as the fucking noise coming out of the shop is enough to put me of its like walking past a JD sports with the volume as high as a night club. 

Old man me 👴

I find 5 Guys variable. Sometimes a horrible soggy mess and others pretty ok. Would much rather an Honest any day of the week although appreciate they’re not quite the same idea. 

I’ve been to 5 Guys once, it was ok but I thought it was too expensive for what you got. 

At the festival I recently went to they had a Patty & Bun and they were incredible, one of the best burgers I’ve ever had, even at festival prices. 

Agreed. I like Five Guys (including the fries and drinks machine), but when you're hitting nearly a score for a meal you've got to be asking questions - even when you can get 'small' fries to save costs (and end up with a fucking bag anyway).

Patty and Bun are probably the best burgers I've had, alongside Byron. But again, you're paying for it. Around these backwater parts there's at least two decent local burger places that will be perfectly delicious and sort you out for little more than a tenner, and then ten miles down the road you've got Brighton, where such places get battered even harder by Trollburger/Burger Off/Burger Brothers.

They're decent, but it's a tough landscape. Still, at least they're a five minute drive from my work now in case I need to start eating out of distress of being there.

This thread has a lot to answer for…. Went to five guys the other day with my youngest, £30 for the pair of us and that’s sharing a small chips - decent but silly priced, no regrets tho!

There's usually no need to buy bigger than small fries at Five Guys when 99% of the time they tip 10 times the amount of fries that would fit into a small cup into the bag itself.

I say 99% of the time because on one single occasion they literally only filled up the tiny cup and nothing more which is a rip-off for how much a small cup costs. But you have no grounds whatsoever to complain that it's an unspoken rule you should get far more than that.

On 22/06/2021 at 08:04, sprite said:

I've just looked at the calorie count on a bacon burger and regular fries and wow https://www.fiveguys.com/-/media/public-site/files/menus/full-menu.ashx but it's okay because the peanut oil is cholestrol free! :lol: 

I have eaten there a couple of times a few years back.  I usually get a little burger of some sort and have a few of someone else's fries.  

Also can you seriously add bacon to a milkshake?

Yeah it's been a thing for like ten years. My friend's burger joint has a bacon caramel milkshake and it is possibly the best non-genital thing you can put in your mouth

On 22/06/2021 at 15:57, Dimahoo said:

No Milkshakes in USA? Thats like France and Germany. Rubbish!

I assure you 5 Guys has milkshakes here. Fat boy in my office gets one every day.

I love the burgers and the cajun fries, and I love their coke machine because I can easily sort myself a vanilla coke zero. Their milkshakes are overrated though. 

Anyone tried their Hot Dogs? I've been meaning to, but ... 🍔

This thread has made me want a 5 guys, so went today. Big mistake...staff with no masks on, no windows open despite having great big patio doors to the outside bit and it being boiling anyway, and their website wasn't working to sort out collection or curbside pickup so I had to stew in there waiting.

If I die, I'm coming back to haunt you all. 

Was nice tho. 

I had a McDonalds on Friday since the kids love it and I'm lazy and won't go to two separate fast food places.

It just reinforced my view that it's better to pay three times as much for a Five Guys that's actually tasty than save money eating cardboardy bread, tasteless dry meat and limp salad. 

The chicken selects at McDonalds (and the wraps) are amazing for the price.

So is the breakfast.

The beef is bland and tasteless though I agree.

Been a few times as the kids like it and choose it when we can do a treat. I find their burgers are bang average. I generally get their 'little' burgers, as that is plenty and cheaper. Fries are good though. 

Five Guys is shit may have nice tasting burgers, but for the price I would prefer to go elsewhere - hence why I've never actually eaten there.

I lived in London for a while. Kept hearing about it. Walked into one. Saw the prices for what was basically just very basic crap. Said: "Fuck this." Walked straight out.

For a quick cheap burger I like Burger King. The specials tend to be a little fancy and good value. For really posh burgers, which i love, there's are plenty of high profile options.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen was a favourite:

https://www.gbk.co.uk/menu

GBK has several posh options for less than a tenner. Tell me again why, when given the option between this or 5G, you'd go with 5G? I suppose if you live in the outer Hebrides and there's literally only 5G and nothing else, you might feel forced into going, but if you had the choice - why? :unsure:

Meat Liquor was also good. Hell, here's an entire article on good burger places:

https://www.timeout.com/london/food-and-drink/londons-best-burger-restaurants-1

Mostly I just make my own these days, given lockdown. A couple days back I had a barbecue with home-made lamb mince burgers. Fresh mint. Ciabatta rolls, lightly toasted. Home made gherkins (pickled in kimchi for a touch of spice). Delish.

I have never eaten at Five Guys and I doubt I ever will.

55 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Shit but never tried. Worthy opinion

Judgement based on cost and pre-existing knowledge of the general type of good.

It's a burger. Does it come with a side order of ortolan?

A basic generic cheeseburger at Five Guys is what, £8? If you add another quid at GBK you can instead get:

BLUE CHEESE 8.95

Onion jam, Cajun relish, house mayo, salad. 
Choose from: blue cheese sauce or a slice of gorgonzola 

I don't need to taste it to make a judgement call. I've tasted objectively higher quality burgers elsewhere for similar or lower prices, or slightly higher but with a greater return.

I agree fully with @dumpster - I felt the exact same thing he did, except I didn't make a topic out of it.

EDIT: if you've not tried ortolan then you definitely should

Of course value is part of the proposition and matters. I won't disagree that it's probably over priced for what it is and is so based on brand.

And it's a reasonable reason never to go for some I guess.

But at the same time it doesn't make the food shit or good. It's just an unknown to you.

10 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Of course value is part of the proposition and matters. I won't disagree that it's probably over priced for what it is and is so based on brand.

And it's a reasonable reason never to go for some I guess.

But at the same time it doesn't make the food shit or good. It's just an unknown to you.

A valid point. I've edited my previous post for greater precision.

I suppose I'd try it if a mate insisted we eat there and bought my order for me.

It's like Waitrose. I only shop for the unique items found nowhere else. Everything else is the same quality as Tesco (same brands even) but with an added "Waitrose tax" which I balk at paying.

EDIT:

Byrons is also bloody great. Went there a lot when in London:

https://www.byron.co.uk/menu

22 hours ago, Sketch said:

Judgement based on cost and pre-existing knowledge of the general type of good.

It's a burger. Does it come with a side order of ortolan?

A basic generic cheeseburger at Five Guys is what, £8? If you add another quid at GBK you can instead get:

BLUE CHEESE 8.95

Onion jam, Cajun relish, house mayo, salad. 
Choose from: blue cheese sauce or a slice of gorgonzola 

I don't need to taste it to make a judgement call. I've tasted objectively higher quality burgers elsewhere for similar or lower prices, or slightly higher but with a greater return.

I agree fully with @dumpster - I felt the exact same thing he did, except I didn't make a topic out of it.

EDIT: if you've not tried ortolan then you definitely should

If you'd ever actually decided to eat there you'd realise that the 'generic cheeseburger' comes with a selection of 15 toppings that you can add to the burger for no extra cost:

image.thumb.png.c52cb189adbf7bb04a76eb0251f5121e.png

But you like Byron and GBK so your opinion on burger places is invalid.

If you aren't after something sloppy like Five Guys and are in London and going to a chain then Honest and Shake Shack shit all over the likes of GBK and Byron from a great height.

Plus as others have mentioned Byron should be boycotted for ratting out their underpaid immigrant workforce. Bunch of cunts at Byron.

Only had Shake Shack once when in Singapore airport but that was great for something closer to the classic fast food burger (i.e. not a sloppy mess). Don't know if it was well priced because, well, money abroad on holiday doesn't matter.

Shake Shack is decent, but both the burger and chips are small portions and similarly overpriced (the single patty option makes it look better value but, as I say, it's quite small).

Byron has been rubbish since it got bought out by private equity years ago (it was great before then - I remember going regularly to the original one on High Street Kensington when it first opened).

GBK has also been awful for years. It was great when it was still owned by the kiwi founders (who robbed the idea from GPK in NZ).

The moral of the story is that as soon as any these places get sold to PE or venture capital the quality of the product goes downhill fast as the cost cutting kicks in.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Shake Shack is decent, but both the burger and chips are small portions and similarly overpriced (the single patty option makes it look better value but, as I say, it's quite small).

It's extremely tasty though and the small portions mean I can have it without feeling grim all afternoon/evening afterwards.

Still enough food to fill you up.

I think it comes down to where you live. Here in York we aren't blessed with tons of amazing burger options so a Five Guys burger is pretty darn good. I really enjoy the burger and think its decent value but I don't spend any extra on fries or shakes because frankly I can't eat that much.

I guess if you live in London Five Guys makes less sense given the number of amazing burger places.