Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Premier League opening fixtures announced.

Brentford v Arsenal

Burnley v Brighton

Chelsea v Crystal Palace

Everton v Southampton

Leicester City v Wolves

Manchester United v Leeds

Newcastle v West Ham

Norwich City v Liverpool

Spurs v Manchester City

Watford v Aston Villa

2 promoted teams and City & Chelsea for Arsenal - I never mind getting the biggest teams that early as its more of a lottery for if they are firing or not - takes a good 10 matches for things to settle down and you start the season with players like Hammers at Everton scoring every match and people rushing to put them in their fantasy team.

Prospect of new season doesn't seem that enticing yet though and we'll be back in the next lockdown and games behind closed doors by then. 

• Plissken changed the title to Football Thread 2021/22

Definite bias from the fixture computer.  Not only do we have to play 19 games against Premier League opposition at home, but we've got to do it away as well.

</trad joke>

14 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I don't really get that narrative, given that Liverpool then have Chelsea and Leeds in their first 5 matches. Who is being shafted exactly? 

what narrative ?

my point is we often imply bias from such things based on our own preference and whilst on the surface a nice easy start for Utd over 5 games or Liverpool getting another promoted team for a gimme 3 points will get people whining its just confirmation bias on our parts and the process behind isn't rigged at all.

apart from Arsenal's fixtures which are of course designed by the PL to keep us down and not roar back into being title contenders. 

We've got Liverpool, Everton and Leicester as the first three away games.  Would have preferred Everton later than that as they always look good until the clocks go back.

Christmas is a run of Everton, Man Utd (A), Leeds (A), Leicester, Arsenal, Man Utd (H), Liverpool.  That's an "ouch" if ever I saw one.  Upside is that from the end of Jan onwards we've only got the traditional walloping by Man City and Chelsea to worry about.  The run-in is largely against sides you would consider to be mid to low in the table.  Newcastle on the final day could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

what narrative ?

my point is we often imply bias from such things based on our own preference and whilst on the surface a nice easy start for Utd over 5 games or Liverpool getting another promoted team for a gimme 3 points will get people whining its just confirmation bias on our parts and the process behind isn't rigged at all.

Ah, right, apologies, got you and I agree. 

New fixtures = new thread, it’s the rllmuk way.   

What do you think the opening TV fixtures will be?  Spurs vs Manchester City and the big 3rd vs 1st clash at the Brentford Community Stadium look mouthwatering.  

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

New fixtures = new thread, it’s the rllmuk way.   

What do you think the opening TV fixtures will be?  Spurs vs Manchester City and the big 3rd vs 1st clash at the Brentford Community Stadium look mouthwatering.  

I think at least all these will be televised.

Spurs vs City

Brentford vs Arsenal

Norwich vs Liverpool

Leeds vs Man Utd

Looking at Liverpools fixtures, I'd say the period over Xmas is the toughest part of the season. 3 away games against Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea and home to Leeds.

Also, not keen on both games against the Manchester clubs being 2 weeks apart for this year and next year.

For once we're not playing Watford on the opening day of the season. We're playing them for the second fixture.

Man Utd/Spurs aside the last two months of the season is looking reasonably kind in our quest to retain glorious 16th place.

Looks like we'll be losing White and Bissouma which I don't mind as we have replacements but I think we could do with keeping Gross and Lamptey because they would be a bit more of a miss (although TBF we played most of last season without Lamptey).

I haven't really seen him play much but £28m for Tomori from Chelsea to AC Milan sounds a big fee, I know Chelsea like splashing the cash but they aren't too bad at getting some back in too, especially from their huge youth setup.

So Ramos to Man Utd on £300k a week then ? Would be funnier to see him play for Liverpool but doubt they'd pay him that.

18 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I think at least all these will be televised.

Spurs vs City

Brentford vs Arsenal

Norwich vs Liverpool

Leeds vs Man Utd

Given current restrictions, I'd not be surprised if every game was televised. I don't think away fans will be allowed in next season. 

My club have created a streaming service in the close season and mention the possibility of limited capacity on my season ticket letter.

I think they will do all they can to avoid it all being shown via Sky/BT/Amazon - not sure quite what this could be as PPV landed horribly last time and the super league debacle is still relatively fresh, but they won't want half empty grounds with smaller gate receipts and the game being 'given away' within existing subs and tv deals.

The grounds are going to be half empty though.  Can only speak for Burnley, but it is clear that they are working to 10,000 in the ground with a maximum of 14,000.  The first number is the existing season ticket holders and the additional 4,000 is those who took refunds for last year.  That's from a capacity of 21,200 (2,500 away fans).  I saw something on The Athletic talking about season tickets and I think it said Leicester has a maximum of 23,000 ST holders for a stadium capacity of 32,200.

Yeah I'm not expecting them to be full, I'm saying though that the clubs will be wary of continuing to establish as the norm all games on TV for the standard cost of subs which used to get you 5 of them over a matchday and that they'll look at ways of monetising that to offset the missing gate receipts.

All the games get full tv camera coverage for the foreign markets & highlights, it's just a question of how they get it broadcast in the UK and earning in a way that doesn't promote the PPV backlash seen last time. 

• Plissken changed the title to Football Thread 2021/2022