Raiders of The Lost Ark is 40 today.

It was on Film4 last Saturday night.  Only in a couple of moments does it feel 40 years old and that's just the effects.  But it is, IMO, a perfect film. Characters performances, plotting, action, music, cinematography, direction.  Seriously, what would you change? The Map Room sequence is one of my favourite scenes in all of film, the moment the music, effects, plot and direction combine to really kick an already wonderful movie up a notch.  The moment that beam comes out, you realise that this shit is on.

15 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Seriously, what would you change?

SHOW HOW HE SURVIVED THE SUBMARINE JOURNEY!

EXPLAIN THE PLOT HOLE! EXPLAIN THE PLOT HOLE! 

RUINS THE MOVIE!

15 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Did you know the swordsman scene was supposed to be an elaborate fight but because Ford and the rest of the crew had the Tunisian trots it was suggested he just shoot him. 

Didn't Ford himself suggest it?

Happy birthday Raiders! One of the most perfect films ever made! Top men made it you know! TOP... MEN!

They should be showing this in the cinemas. I know it's being shown in the US. Would love to see it on a big screen.

First time I saw it was on ITV back in the days when they used to start showing a film at 9pm and then at 10pm you'd have to sit through News at 10 and then the regional news before it continued. Remember that?

In my top ten. Ford at his best, Lucas, Spielberg and John Williams all bringing their A-game. My gran took me to see it at the now demolished Rembrandt Cinema on Ewell Road overlooking the A3. I knew absolutely nothing about it going in, other than “Han Solo’s in it”. The beauty of the pre-internet age.

Hard to believe now Ford is so ingrained in the part that, as with Star Wars, he wasn’t first choice.

42 minutes ago, mash said:

First time I saw it was on ITV back in the days when they used to start showing a film at 9pm and then at 10pm you'd have to sit through News at 10 and then the regional news before it continued. Remember that?

I remember that the long interval meant you had to stop a video recording rather than just pause it. So you had this odd break in the recording, rather than a smooth scene transition.

Raiders is aces!

42 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

I remember that the long interval meant you had to stop a video recording rather than just pause it. So you had this odd break in the recording, rather than a smooth scene transition.

Raiders is aces!

I was trying to find out when Raiders of the Lost Ark premiered on British TV. I think it was in 1986 based on this copy of the TV Times. Back when you had to buy two magazines to get the full TV listings. Radio Times for BBC1 and BBC2 and TV Times for ITV and C4. Of course the only time we'd ever buy it in our house was at Christmas. You'd then spend the next couple of days pouring over the listings deciding what you were going to record and whether you had enough VHS tapes or what to record over. First things to go in our house were my mum's Come Dancing tapes. 

tvtimes.thumb.png.4baf69b4c850fb30eaa57b827a6a90c3.png

On 12/06/2021 at 21:55, Plissken said:

Seriously, what would you change?

Just for me, I still think I'd have preferred Selleck. Though it's very possible the criticism he was too nice is true, and Ford's grumpy mean streak was required to make Indy work. In Last Crusade, for sure. But most people don't lol the idea on sight, so who knows.

In terms of my own bias, I also felt Ford was Blade Runner's weak link, although again — you can definitely argue his woody acting was appropriate. There's no other Han.

6 hours ago, Escape said:

Just for me, I still think I'd have preferred Selleck. Though it's very possible the criticism he was too nice is true, and Ford's grumpy mean streak was required to make Indy work. In Last Crusade, for sure. But most people don't lol the idea on sight, so who knows.

In terms of my own bias, I also felt Ford was Blade Runner's weak link, although again — you can definitely argue his woody acting was appropriate. There's no other Han.

Are you on crack? Selleck would have stank up the place!

11 hours ago, mash said:

Back when you had to buy two magazines to get the full TV listings. Radio Times for BBC1 and BBC2 and TV Times for ITV and C4.

:lol:

I'd completely forgotten that. Only four TV channels and you still had to buy two different magazines each week to find out what was on. Britain at its finest.

On 14/06/2021 at 23:19, mash said:

I was trying to find out when Raiders of the Lost Ark premiered on British TV. I think it was in 1986 based on this copy of the TV Times. Back when you had to buy two magazines to get the full TV listings. Radio Times for BBC1 and BBC2 and TV Times for ITV and C4. Of course the only time we'd ever buy it in our house was at Christmas. You'd then spend the next couple of days pouring over the listings deciding what you were going to record and whether you had enough VHS tapes or what to record over. First things to go in our house were my mum's Come Dancing tapes. 

tvtimes.thumb.png.4baf69b4c850fb30eaa57b827a6a90c3.png

It's premiere was more like Christmas 1984. I remember it was a seismic event in my young life - and its first appearance on TV made my Christmas. ITV then rinsed it every year with a million commercial breaks.

I really miss the Radio Times experience of those days. Like you - we only got it over Christmas - and I remember pouring over the pages marking out all the new Films that would be shown. It was the only way to have a decent copy at home. It was soooo exciting to 9 year old me.

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

8.30pm, Christmas Day 1984.

Holy shit, out of all those I distinctly remember watching Superman 2 and The Last Days of Pompeii. 

19 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Are you on crack? Selleck would have stank up the place!

I just always felt there was a bit of misogyny creeping through with Ford; a lack of respect for most people in general, at odds with his day job (same as Eastwood in The Eiger Sanction). All in keeping with Indy's era, like.

He's actually a pretty cold fish, and Last Crusade (which I haven't seen in years) used to be my favourite because of the warmth his chemistry with Connery brought out.

I have a huge man-crush for Tom Selleck. I think he's always been great, and the stuff he's done on TV in his later years is well worth checking out (his Jesse Stone stuff is genuinely enjoyable stuff). 

However, Harrison Ford will always and forever be Indiana Jones, and that's all there is to it ;) 

I think Selleck would have been good but very different. I'm sure in some alternate universe, Raiders is still regarded a classic with Selleck as the lead. You can see glimpses of how Selleck may have played him in High Road to China and Quigley Down Under - and of course there's that Magnum tribute episode.

3 hours ago, Escape said:

I just always felt there was a bit of misogyny creeping through with Ford;

Having just watched Raiders at the weekend, I think there was a fair bit of misogyny from everyone involved in the movie. Everything related to Marion is dodgy as hell, basically. It’s showing it’s age now.