Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I'll refrain from overly gloating and know a lot of you are hurting, but have to say yous really gave me the fear that you might just do it this time. Oh the joy and relief when that penalty was missed. Feel so bad for Saka but yeah, what a game. 

You mean when that penalty was saved ;) 

Rashford missed :P 

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I'll refrain from overly gloating and know a lot of you are hurting, but have to say yous really gave me the fear that you might just do it this time. Oh the joy and relief when that penalty was missed. Feel so bad for Saka but yeah, what a game. 

Fee; bad for him because he plays for Arsenal, nothing else 😛

3 minutes ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Cavendish isn't English!

I know, Mann is a British Dependency, so I’m claiming him. Also, according to Geraint Thomas, young Cav was “just a Manx chav who wished he was a scouser”.  I’ll take that too.

My point, of course, was about the press not celebrating an astonishing achievement from a local sporting hero, as it wanked itself into a froth over Gareth’s doomed boys, and some Brit-free tennis matches.

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:

We only actually played one good team (in ‘let’s be real for a minute’ terms) and that was tonight’s

I think you mean one great team. In Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark and Germany, England played four good teams, who might have got something on another day.

Not to diminish your point, I just think your scale needs rebalancing.

In an attempt to bring a bit of unity between those saddened by tonight's result, and those pleased by it...

Can everyone here all agree that Darren Grimes is an arsehole (to put it mildly)?

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210712-001006.thumb.png.ccb74a4fd92c19d57a26b34fa741ebbe.png

(Screenshot behind spoiler tag, for anyone who wants to avoid being annoyed by seeing it.)

11 minutes ago, Halo said:

Can’t believe people are already putting the boot into Southgate and calling it a great squad. The mind boggles.

I think this is unfair. It's quite possible to be incredibly happy with the tournament as a whole, the great stuff the England team have done (both on the pitch and outside of it) - but at the same time look to learn from defeat. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Should everybody just be happy and leave it at that? The England staff won't, else they'd never learn from it and get any better - and clearly Southgate has improved as a manager since the World Cup, but that doesn't mean he's above criticism for what seem like fairly obvious failings tonight.

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

Always next year. England have a great team and once Bellingham and Sancho get establish will be absolutely disgusting

They'll have to displace some favourites first.

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I know, Mann is a British Dependency, so I’m claiming him. Also, according to Geraint Thomas, young Cav was “just a Manx chav who wished he was a scouser”.  I’ll take that too.

My point, of course, was about the press not celebrating an astonishing achievement from a local sporting hero, as it wanked itself into a froth over Gareth’s doomed boys, and some Brit-free tennis matches.

Honestly I think the coverage will come for Cav either when he surpasses the record or when the tour finishes.  Both could be the same day, of course :) 

Just now, sprite said:

Honestly I think the coverage will come for Cav either when he surpasses the record or when the tour finishes.  Both could be the same day, of course :) 

Hope so. What he’s done already is astonishing. Would love him to get the 35th in Paris.

9 hours ago, Stigweard said:

OK, so Southgate might not have got everything right tonight but fucking hell, for the first 30 minutes we controlled and owned that game. We were given hope from the 2 minute and even though they scored it took penalties for them to beat us.

Italy may have controlled the game from the 2nd half onwards but they did fuck all with it, bar the equaliser. Why are so many people acting like it was a 4-1 loss or some shite.

We lost a penalty shootout, one where our keeper saved 2 penalties from experienced takers too. We lost on the lottery of the penalties, nothing more, nothing less.

We've reached a semi final and a final in the last two tournaments. That's fucking outstanding, regardless of how people think we played or the tactics Southgate used. What he did worked and he got us to those places. We conceded only 2 goals this tournament. No other tram can say that, not even the champions. That again is a fantastic achievement.

If you're an England supporter you should be proud of him and this team because what they've given us the last two tournaments in a hell of a lot better than when we were losing to Iceland.

Well done England. I wish I could be going to bed happy and not sad right now, but I go to bed proud at least.

I think the other thing is England play a very counter attacking style of football. 

Italy controlled possession without really creating many clear cut chances - a lot outside the box England had several breaks where they just couldn't quite tie it together. 

In that sense it was a fairly even game - both teams played to type but couldn't really get the last pass or shot off. 

Italy will always look better in that case, and did create more. But another day something falls, England stick another one in and can start picking Italy off. 

A few missed penalties are leading to very bad takes. Italy edged it. England has a lot of attacking talent but defensive stability is always a safer route at international level. 

Yep, I said at half tie if England score again the game is done. They were solid at the back and a scrappy goal undid them.

If one of the breaks comes together, Southgate is currently being knighted by all the papers.

2 hours ago, kempstar said:

Silly bias? Grow up 🤣

I note you didnt actually respond to what I said. Im assuming because you havent actually played football to a good standard, and dont actually understand the rules.

Check out Jermaine Jenas over here in a thread about sensible England fans 🤌

Difficult watch tonight. Not to take away from an overall great performance in the tournament but feel Southgate should have adapted the team sooner tonight. 

It’s almost as though that early goal wasn’t in the plan so we weren’t sure what to do. Defending a 1-0 for 89 mins was never going to cut it. Italy got the chance to have loads of ball and were far more comfortable on it for most of the game. 

I just hope the media doesn’t give too much stick to the penalty takers. The set up seemed a bit odd with Southgate selecting the takers and it appeared rather chaotic. 

On balance the better team won on the night but it could have gone either way during normal time

I love all the political pundits and other bandwagoneers on twitter who only watch football when England do well in a tournament not being able to wrap their heads around why a shirt pull isn't a red card. Beautiful. 

6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I love all the political pundits and other bandwagoneers on twitter who only watch football when England do well in a tournament not being able to wrap their heads around why a shirt pull isn't a red card. Beautiful. 

Horse-collar tackles are incredibly unsafe and lead to major injuries. There’s a reason it’s banned in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, sprite said:

Ah @jonamok Liverpool fans could’ve said the same about the Premier League title in 2018-2019, that it was THE chance.  Then 2019-2020 happened :) 

We go again!!!

Liverpool fans had to console themselves with a Champions League title that season.  I’m all for the XX years of hurt stuff, but Liverpool won 17 major honours in their “barren” patch so there was sustained success and a constant cause for optimism.  England haven’t won anything in over half a century and this was as good a chance as they’ll probably ever get.  

Southgate got it wrong on the night.  I think we can all agree on that, being cautious is fine (it got us this far!) but he was slow to react when we were being overrun and it took an Italian goal to get him to do anything about it.  Do I want him to resign? Hell no. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Southgate and the FA should be proud of how far we’ve come, the post-mortem of the 2010 World Cup led to St George’s Park being built and probably nudged the Premier League into creating the EPPP.  The squad is good and it’s very young, it feels like the start of something rather than the end of it and not even the “senior” players in the squad (Walker, Tripper, Henderson, Kane) are close to ageing out yet. This group needs to go to the World Cup and I’d include Southgate in that, even if it’s just so we don’t have someone else come in who wants to rip it up and start again. 

On a personal note I’m gutted.  Last time I saw anyone win anything was a quarter of a century ago and I really hoped this would be the moment.  The worst bit of it all was my son (9) absolutely distraught when we lost. Full on heartbroken.  I think it snapped the Mrs out of her “lol I hope England lose because I don’t like Brexiteers and Boris” frame of mind, even it’s it’s probably only temporary.  She told him it’s okay as he’s only young and has got plenty of time to see England win something.  I didn’t have the heart to say my mom told me that when Chris Waddle and Stuart Pearce missed penalties when I was his age in 1990. 

I’m going to blank out the penalties because we should never have got there.  If there was no sitting back around the 60 mins mark, and a couple more subs like what Italy did... we would have won that game.  No Foden either. Booo

What did people make of Kane's performance? I ask only because Lineker was questioning it - no touches at all in the 18 yard box all game - and Ferdinand was trying to make a defence of it.

Just now, Mike1812 said:

Imagine being this kind of cunt

Disgusting and infuriating.

Think I might just go dark from any football news or takes for the next few days.

6 minutes ago, Halo said:

Horse-collar tackles are incredibly unsafe and lead to major injuries. There’s a reason it’s banned in the NFL.

Yes, that wasn't a horse collar tackle. Unless Saka was wearing a load of padding? 

1 minute ago, Mike1812 said:

Imagine being this kind of cunt

I saw the FA has already had to make a statement about online abuse, why are people so very terrible?