SteamPal, your dockable portable Linux friend from Gabe

Alex W.

I’m on team skeptic on this one (unfortunately). I can’t see it would get the backing for games etc. 

How likely is it that they can produce a handheld device with enough grunt to satisfy (mainly) PC gaming audience’s expectations without severely compromising form factor?  

Nintendo in particular have had a great track record at dealing with this dichotomy  since the Gameboy. I think a company like Steam are more likely to grow a load of needless complications trying to create a PC gaming experience in a portable device. 

Would be delighted to be proved wrong though. 

57 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

How likely is it that they can produce a handheld device with enough grunt to satisfy (mainly) PC gaming audience’s expectations without severely compromising form factor?  

There are a few grunty handhelds which are shaped like fat Switches, like the GPD Win 3. Not cheap, mind!

They'll define reference spec that others can build to give or take 40% power.  Like they did with the steambox. Y'know , take an idea and make the worst job of it.

Make it strong enough to run Yuzu at a loss-leader price, with micro USB ports for peripherals and HDMI-out. That might sell pretty well. 7" miniLED at 1080.

Otherwise they're relying on the cheapness of Steam, where most indies run okay on relatively weak hardware.

10 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I’m on team skeptic on this one (unfortunately). I can’t see it would get the backing for games etc. 

Valve have been working on 'stuff' that takes Windows games and allows them to run on Linux, which this thing will use as an OS.  It's likely a significant portion of the Steam library would just be available.  Games galore from day one.  

You're left with how powerful is the machine and what can't run via their Linux conversation thingy?

edit:  There's only about 600 or so Steam Play / Proton games listed on the store. That's not exactly a stellar amount given the size of Steam's library

That seems like the current performance leader in terms of what the articles describing. If you're willing to compromise a bit on settings it's seems like you can play a lot of reasonably modern games on there but I don't know how long that will continue to be the case as companies move towards games that target current gen consoles. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/onexplayer-handheld-pc-performance-gaming-review/

Lot more expensive than a Switch though. 

35 minutes ago, Mogster said:

It seems like a very niche idea, especially if it's running Linux. I bet it would make for a great Steam Link device mind.

Would it? That mini PC I posted has the power to run games locally but it's twice the weight of a Switch because of that. If I wanted to make a great Steam Link device I'd build it around a low, low power ARM CPU so it wouldn't weigh a lot and still give great battery life. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

Would it? That mini PC I posted has the power to run games locally but it's twice the weight of a Switch because of that. If I wanted to make a great Steam Link device I'd build it around a low, low power ARM CPU so it wouldn't weigh a lot and still give great battery life. 

Twice the weight is only in iPad territory.  

I'd be happy for it to be a dumb Wii U like tablet that pairs to your PC with some dongle. All the cost goes into a great screen and great controls and you can use your PC for handheld gaming in your house. The original nvidia shield did it and they just dumped it to become a full on set top box.