Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

I kind of want to be free of stat tracking and ‘win rates’. It can really spoil some online experiences, both through caring too much about it and also being judged by others. Thankfully this is not a team game.

In this case, am I right in thinking room matches don’t record win/loss rates at all? Or is that information just hidden somewhere. I haven’t done ranked matches at all yet, for this very reason. I want to get some experience in a no stakes environment first.

Yeah, for a good while I've felt that limiting our info to winstreaks and vaguish rank would really help.

I find it liberating to play games I'm no good at because I don't care, but then if I improve I start chasing that better-than-50% target. Which is daft and doesn't matter, and yet still...

I'm sure it's common to reach that point where you don't want experimentation to cost you a win, aware you're slowing your progress by not. The other thing I'd love is online coop, where I'd feel a lot less pressure playing in teams with mates. Maybe I'm back-to-front on that?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

I kind of want to be free of stat tracking and ‘win rates’. It can really spoil some online experiences, both through caring too much about it and also being judged by others. Thankfully this is not a team game.

In this case, am I right in thinking room matches don’t record win/loss rates at all? Or is that information just hidden somewhere. I haven’t done ranked matches at all yet, for this very reason. I want to get some experience in a no stakes environment first.

There’s a setting in your player profile when you pick your character in ranked, to completely hide your results or just show part of them.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

Yeah, for a good while I've felt that limiting our info to winstreaks and vaguish rank would really help.

I find it liberating to play games I'm no good at because I don't care, but then if I improve I start chasing that better-than-50% target. Which is daft and doesn't matter, and yet still...

I'm sure it's common to reach that point where you don't want experimentation to cost you a win, aware you're slowing your progress by not. The other thing I'd love is online coop, where I'd feel a lot less pressure playing in teams with mates. Maybe I'm back-to-front on that?

Yeah just drop it. We’ve all done it but gaming is so much better when you just ignore that shit. Just enjoy each match and even in a brutal loss try and take one learning away from it. 

(I haven’t played this yet, aiming for the weekend)

Even if you do care, rank is a better indicator of progress anyways. You could play kyus all day long and have 95% ratio. You’ll only progress through the ranks playing people around your own level. 

Honestly, yeah. Some people get too attached to their win rate and it's a meaningless statistic. I mean, it says nothing about the quality of your opponents. And I'm not gonna lie, I do get nervous when I see someone's a turbobastard rank, and feel like I'm a bit of an asshole when they're winning one game in twenty.

I'd rather just find out how good they are in the match itself.

@Faded , consider yourself added! I'm hoping we can all get a room going at some point.

Managed to have my first session on this, this morning.

Not convinced my the net code thus far. It was a mix to be fair but I don’t think I played a single game where I didn’t feel the latency of my inputs.

I wonder how this game would handle rollback net code? I’ve seen it happen in something like SF but I’m not sure what it would be like with huge 3D sprites glitching about the place, it could possibly stress the engine to the point that it breaks.

Speaking of breaks, there’s definitely a bug in ranked where sometimes the game will not get its disconnect call after you’ve played someone. This leads to you sitting waiting for your next match to come along and it will never happen. I played a few games then sat for like 15mins with nothing and then a msg popped up saying ‘disconnected from opponent’ and I wasn’t playing anyone.

Anyway this happened to me twice so if you’re playing ranked and it gets to like 5 mins and no one has jumped in, quit out to the main menu and then go back in. Doing this fixed it for me and the matches started flowing again.

oh and I’m absolutely all over the place gameplay wise. I’ve got some botched old muscle memory, new moves, forgotten setups type play which I imagine is painful to watch.

My Vanessa's more or less surviving, but my Akira's messed up. The problem is that I'm trying to use moves from both VF5 and VF5 FS. Stuff like his 3+P+K+G are completely different moves and not used in the same situations.

Also, I gave Goh a run in training despite never really getting any good with him, and the same situation applies. I'm sure you used to be able to parry (P+K?) then shove someone in either direction twice to boost the damage of the upcoming throw. Perhaps I'm recalling it wrong, but that's no longer an option.

Kinda want to learn Kage, but I'm having issues with his just frames off the dragon punch and 46K+G. It's discouraging, even though they're probably not necessary in the grand scheme of things.

Why is it the sound effects are so weedy and tinny in the Virtua Fighter games?

It's a dream to play - I've loved VF5 since I bought the original on PS3 in Akihabara back in 2010 - but the sound has never given that same visceral connection as other fighters do.

PSN - teddymeowUK

Huh? I think they're crunchy and beautiful. Am I alone here?

Anyway, everyone add you tags and we'll have a grand soiree at some point. I'll add any I see to the initial post, which everyone ignores anyway because they just want to see the new ones.

Me? KayinAmoh on PSN

Re goh - it’s p+k and then p+g to go into the throw stance. Then the pulling and pushing begins. 

I think akira in particular has some great sound effects. Some other characters not so much. The new tunes in this are banging though. 

33 minutes ago, Faded said:

Re goh - it’s p+k and then p+g to go into the throw stance. Then the pulling and pushing begins. 

That's a thing!? I've only been going from 46P+K, P, P+G into it, and the odd low throw.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Huh? I think they're crunchy and beautiful. Am I alone here?

Agreed, those hit sounds are iconic! Especially the whipping sound from somersaults and the thump of a body check.

My psn is DownByLaw85. Maybe we could get a room going with a few of us, would be great just to spectate other players. 

35 minutes ago, Jonster said:

That's a thing!? I've only been going from 46P+K, P, P+G into it, and the odd low throw.

It is not! They changed the command in fs to 4PKG, PG. my bad

I'm totally rubbish at beat-em-ups but I got into VF5 quite a bit so jumping back in, and seeing how much I remember.

I play Pai because I can Musou combo with her.

GT is MW_Jimmyy

The very little I knew about Sarah a decade ago has withered away... I was down in the salt mines of Ranked retrieving precious sodium.

Feel free to add me! PSN - Hyper_P

If there's ever a VF6, the sounds need revision. There has to be a more modern way to aurally communicate actions than "Wooosh!" and dustbin slamming.

The whoosh is iconic and you sir, belong in jail. 

This isn’t a good match by any stretch but I think you can see some of the old kage cheekiness starting to return. 

3 minutes ago, Faded said:

This isn’t a good match by any stretch but I think you can see some of the old kage cheekiness starting to return. 

Great finish! I was disappointed you didn't do it at 44 seconds in, but I see you were saving it for later. :D

10 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Great finish! I was disappointed you didn't do it at 44 seconds in, but I see you were saving it for later. :D

I wasn’t sure it would kill, also tft ring out is well funnier. 

1 minute ago, Faded said:

It’s my day off so there’s a good chance I’ll be pissed but should we perhaps try and set up a mukker lobby this evening?

I'm up for that. JonsterUK is my PSN for anyone that doesn't have me already.

Just now, Faded said:

It’s my day off so there’s a good chance I’ll be pissed but should we perhaps try and set up a mukker lobby this evening?

That's great! It means I'm less likely to get destroyed - drink as much as you can!

I should be around. I've added all tags I've seen so far to the first post, and I'm gonna need to set up a separate 'Sexy VF Friends' section in my PS Friends list. 

I think some posters may have already said their tags in previous pages. If I miss anyone, feel free to hit me up and I'll get it in there.

i finally had a little go on this last night, and lost a few matches, but i have literally no idea what i'm doing having never played vf before.

went through some of the tutorials, then immediately went back to mashing punch over and over

i was using taka, as i heard he was the best grappler. but i think i'll try somebody else later... maybe the lucha libre guy?... loads of people look cool in this though.

psn is Avexfuddle if anybody wants to add me for easy wins.

16 minutes ago, Faded said:

No! 😁

I'd like to see a VF6 with all new voice actors and win phrases/intros, go full scorched earth. "Lightening", "Yeah!", "Go back to Mama...", "Hotdog"...all gone!

3 minutes ago, Hyper P said:

No! 😁

I'd like to see a VF6 with all new voice actors and win phrases/intros, go full scorched earth. "Lightening", "Yeah!", "Go back to Mama...", "Hotdog"...all gone!

You belong under the jail. 😐