Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - It may look bad, but apparently it plays pretty well

Broker

22 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This game looks totally the kind of thing I’m into! An upscaled PS3 game is exactly the kind of thing I want! 
This kind of Japanese action game is something I thrived on in the PS2/PS3 days! 

Really? In my mind the Ps360 era was when a lot of Japanese games went largely shit as the big Japanese publishers tried to ape the popular Western styles. So you had Japanese low budget versions of Gears, CoD, Uncharted etc, stuff that was distinct got progressively neutered and westernised. Everything was grey and brown. Remember grimdark Bomber an? Obviously Dark Souls was an exception. 

They're back now, thankfully, though Square are weird of course as this is exactly like that era. 

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Really? In my mind the Ps360 era was when a lot of Japanese games went largely shit as the big Japanese publishers tried to ape the popular Western styles. So you had Japanese low budget versions of Gears, CoD, Uncharted etc, stuff that was distinct got progressively neutered and westernised. Everything was grey and brown. Remember grimdark Bomber an? Obviously Dark Souls was an exception. 

They're back now, thankfully, though Square are weird of course as this is exactly like that era. 

What? Like Binary Domain? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

What? Like Binary Domain? ;) 

Brilliant game, but also kind of shit in some ways. Still one of my favourites. 

This... doesn't look like that. 

3 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Judicious use of the 'special block'/circle button, then countering

I've got that until phase 2 when everything seems unblockable I can't find an opening :(

23 minutes ago, Hexx said:

No really how do you beat the boss 

I did it as a Mage. My approach was to counter the boss's attack, get in a mace hit or two, then repeat. When he started applying fire to the sword I'd charge up Water to nullify it as soon as his animation was finished.

The second phase was very similar, albeit using Fire to counter his ice blade. If I didn't manage to nullify it in time I found it better to dodge his charge rather than counter, as his three-hit ice combo could take out all my HP; the AoE on the ice could easily stagger me.

Oh my god, so.. many.. systems. The info dump at the start is such a bore. The gameplay does actually seem fine, but I don't really want to put that amount of effort in for a demo. It's the kind of game I imagine playing on PS+ and loving for a few days then drifting off in disinterest when a boss gives me a shoeing. Though I do kind of love that these quirky janky B-list games are somehow still being made (for the PS5!)

• Broker changed the title to Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - It may look bad, but apparently it plays pretty well
15 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Here's me KILLING CHAOS. I just wanted to perfect the bugger, so not the most varied approach but it's a pretty good example of how to waste him fast.

I enjoyed the demo but found the soul shield reducing your break bar to be counter intuitive - but I forgot about the lightbringer (or whatever its called). I'll give that another go this evening. Good work with the mage too, I found he focused me too much for me to use that class; also I find the magic UI really cumbersome to use in combat. 

Yeah, normal attacks won't break your... break, but if the enemy's using magic or some sort of status effect like fire or ice when the break gauge is low it'll just blow clean through you. Lightbringer refreshes the gauge and causes a lot more break damage / shortens their maximum bar.

What I didn't do here because he didn't give me a chance is charging your attack while he's applying the fire or ice enchantment. Hit him with that, especially during lightbringer, and it'll take off around a quarter to a third of his break gauge.

And yeah, choosing magic in the heat of battle's awkward. I've found myself trying to move during a cast and chucking off the wrong spell as a result, and it also has the unfortunate side effect of obscuring the screen while you're charging and casting. Level three charges wreck him though, just need to be ready to dodge if he rushes at you.

Apparently the Trophy list for this game spoils that either fucking, marrying, or killing chaos are the three possible endings for this game based on your choices. Jury's still out on which one is the 'good' ending.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Apparently the Trophy list for this game spoils that either fucking, marrying, or killing chaos are the three possible endings for this game based on your choices. Jury's still out on which one is the 'good' ending.

That's the fourth secret chaotic ending where you don't make a decision.

I had a bash on this earlier and came away feeling conflicted. It's one of the ugliest games I've seen, performance and polish are understandably ropey but the visual aesthetic is like a mashup of 360-era grimdark (e.g. Dark Sector) and PS2-era anime. It's truly horrid. The sub-720p rendering in performance mode really adds to the "shitty early PS3 multiplatform port" vibe. It seemed to be outputting at the wrong black level too, as the black crush was really intense most of the time.

However, as an early preview, it does have some promise. The combat and equipment systems have some depth and nuance. I was fairly engrossed tinkering around in menus and trying different combos etc. The controls felt a bit clunky (but not in the good Dark Souls way) and the camera and lock-on felt pretty janky, but those things can be polished. It's clearly not a very good souls game or a very good Final Fantasy, but it could still be a good game. Interested to see the final product.

3 hours ago, Moz said:

However, as an early preview, it does have some promise. The combat and equipment systems have some depth and nuance. I was fairly engrossed tinkering around in menus and trying different combos etc. The controls felt a bit clunky (but not in the good Dark Souls way) and the camera and lock-on felt pretty janky, but those things can be polished. It's clearly not a very good souls game or a very good Final Fantasy, but it could still be a good game. Interested to see the final product.

Have you played NioH? Play NioH.

I really enjoyed the demo. Final boss was really difficult - particularly phase 2 when he goes ice mode, but I enjoyed the combat so much I kept on trying. I died many times but finally killed 'Chaos?' - learning a lot about the combat on the way.

Some tips for anyone still struggling - 

Use Soul Shield to keep your magic bar topped.

Don't be afraid to spend magic meter - I liked using Lightbringer, and also warcry which gave me a heal over time.

Don't overuse soul shield - some of 'Chaos?' combos will completely deplete your break meter if you use soul shield on every hit, throing in an evade mid combo can alleviate this.

Both jobs have separate break meters - so another way to quickly replenish meter is to swap to mage for a bit.

I agree framerate and resolution weren't great, but I expect by release those will be sorted, the actual gameplay seemed solid enough to me.

On 16/06/2021 at 20:01, Keyboard Koala said:

Of course it does. It'll essentially be Ni-Oh with some adjustments and a FF skin. 

Yup. Played it briefly yesterday. It's Ni-Oh with a FF skin alright. They even kept the ki pulse mechanic.

It'll turn out just fine in the end.

Does anyone know whether this'll be a re-imagining of the very first Final Fantasy? Garland's mentioned, so sounds like it.