The Friends Reunion special

Gabe

13 hours ago, ZOK said:

I don’t think that’s true, they are all superb comic actors, it’s one of the reasons the show was so good.

Also I find Joey’s ‘comedy’ practically unbearable in the later series, as it is nearly all predicated on the writers deciding he suffered a catastrophic brain removal at some unseen point.

Not true. Courtney Cox was always horrifically unfunny, despite being the most famous.

50 minutes ago, Distinct muttering said:

Not true. Courtney Cox was always horrifically unfunny, despite being the most famous.

That’s wrong - you can check by watching Friends if you’ve never seen it.

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

Just checked , and for all the random surprises and spontaneous fun they were having, all 6 of the cast had an Exec Producer credit. It doesn't give me any pleasure to think that they were all acting in that opening, but maybe...

Executive producer is a vanity credit.

It can mean anything from someone lending their name as a favour to get a smaller project more notice (Quentin Tarantino presents, etc) to someone who might have used their connections to get certain people creatively involved despite not being directly involved themselves. It can also be a pure vanity credit for high profile management and/or actors.

There wasn’t anything really earth-shattering in the interview. The Schwimmer/Aniston ‘nearly’ thing has been revealed before when they interviewed the Friends boys on some Channel 4 special years and years ago, although they dressed it up as some pact the six of them made not to get involved with each other. I think Jonathan Ross might have been the interviewer.

I enjoyed it for what it was. The James corden stuff was thankfully short and not needed. Although there was clearly tonnes of cut content and I’d have rather had more of that.

The celebs appearing almost seemed pointless. They were in it for seconds at best and often I had no idea who they were as they were in a costume or something.

Remember that show on Dave week comedians would get together and just chat stories? I’d have loved the friends group to just do that and the parts that were like that were great. There’s some sad moments like hearing the girls get together but the guys don’t really chat to each other. Matthew Perry clearly not being totally there and the story of him having dental surgery hat morning makes a lot of sense with his speech and brilliant white teeth.

Im not sure how much I buy the David schwimmer and Jennifer Anniston stuff, just seems a bit too perfect and to play on fans of the show. I really do hope they release a little more content from this and just show us more of them reminiscing.

Agreed @Ketchup- whileI enjoyed it, it felt a bit disjointed at times as it jumped from interview to table read to fan pieces.

That said, the bloopers section had me and my wife howling with laughter - and the “bottle show” (The One Where No-One Is Ready) leading to

Spoiler

Matt LeBlanc dislocating his shoulder

was interesting to hear about.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

There wasn’t anything really earth-shattering in the interview. The Schwimmer/Aniston ‘nearly’ thing has been revealed before when they interviewed the Friends boys on some Channel 4 special years and years ago, although they dressed it up as some pact the six of them made not to get involved with each other. I think Jonathan Ross might have been the interviewer.

Oh yeah, I do recall that now that you mention it. Don't think it was Ross though- Johnny Vaughn maybe?

When Corden asked the question the others looked sheep-ish. Schwimmer and Aniston jumping in felt to me that they were protecting the others.

1 hour ago, drmick said:

Oh yeah, I do recall that now that you mention it. Don't think it was Ross though- Johnny Vaughn maybe?

I want to say Gabby Roslin, but it’s not on her Wikipedia page.

I remember seeing this as a kid thinking, bloody hell 'friends' behind the scenes doesn't look like much fun at all. But the reality is, Johnny Vaughn is an absolute twat.

3 hours ago, Goose said:

My wife and I really enjoyed this. Some proper belly laughs not only from the clips but from the stories told by the cast. It could have easily removed all the cameo stuff, interludes and guests, and I think it would have been much better for it. But it was good to see them all again, and hear them talk about working together, the genuine affection and what not. it's easy to be cynical about it but in many ways it really was a significant show, and it still stands up well. I loved seeing the old footage, especially from the very early days. 

I was actually at that recording of the Gaby Roslin thing. I met a number of internet friends (as they were then) for the first time there. People I am still friends with to this day. We went to each others weddings, travelled together, celebrated, commiserated and been a part of each other lives for over 25 years. In fact, almost everything in my life can be traced back to Friends.

Was that the one where there was an uber-Fan doing a quiz and Schwimmer asked him what hand he had in the poker game?

I don't recall that happening, but it might have done. I know there were a few people picked out the audience to ask questions, including one where the producers chanced their luck and got one to ask Matthew Perry about his relationship with Julia Roberts. 

I enjoyed this. It was a bit toothless but it made me smile a fair bit and was cheerful except for Matthew Perry clearly having had a really tough life. The structure wasn’t great though, and it was in most ways exactly like the fresh Prince one but worse in pretty much every way.

It was Phoebe I thought beame annoying, especially into season 5 I think.  The one where she hates Ross cos of a dream she had that she thought was real etc. I wish more than anything g they'd used the Phoebe alternate ending or even had Rachel leave for Paris rather than stay. That would have been amazing way to end.

54 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@McFlyWhat was the phoebe alternative ending? 

There was one pretty bleak one where Phoebe is actually a drug-addled homeless person, and imagines the whole ten seasons while staring at the other five through the window of Central Perk, while the five talk about the ‘crazy lady who always stares at us through the window’, and another much less bleak one where Phoebe and Joey had been ‘friends with benefits’ the whole time, and they were going to revisit all the really famous scenes from the ten year run and add Joey and Phoebe coming out of cupboards and bedrooms etc, just before really recognisable bits.

8 hours ago, Jammy said:

There was one pretty bleak one where Phoebe is actually a drug-addled homeless person, and imagines the whole ten seasons while staring at the other five through the window of Central Perk, while the five talk about the ‘crazy lady who always stares at us through the window’, and another much less bleak one where Phoebe and Joey had been ‘friends with benefits’ the whole time, and they were going to revisit all the really famous scenes from the ten year run and add Joey and Phoebe coming out of cupboards and bedrooms etc, just before really recognisable bits.

That Phoebe one was suggested by a fan just in case you thought the writers considered it. 

1 minute ago, James Lyon said:

That Phoebe one was suggested by a fan just in case you thought the writers considered it. 

Yes, fan theory. They considered the Joey/Phoebe one apparently because it was Matt LeBlanc who suggested that :)