The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

KartoffelKopf

4 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

"marquee game"... its £25!

I don't think the price of it has anything to do with the term. More that it was shown as one of the exclusives in the xbox series showcase. It was literally like "here's one of the cool new games coming to our brand new mega console"

It's the sort of game where if you're in the mood and want to kill some time it's probably fine, but if you don't have a huge amount of time to play then there's better games you could be playing. Or, not worth your time, unless you've got some to waste.

I think perhaps it would work much better in multiplayer where you just have this simple gameplay to mess with while hanging out with some friends. It's probably the perfect level of involving for that, where no one's concentrating too much on the game.

Most reviews say the opening 2-3 hours are a slog and then it gets really good. 

Be interesting to hear impressions of people who have put some time into it. 

I need to finish up Deaths Door then I will move onto this. If its close to the brilliance of that game I will be happy. 

This is like too human next gen edition. Good job I loved too human. 

My opening cutscene loaded funny and played no walking animations so just had character models gliding around. 

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Be interesting to hear impressions of people who have put some time into it. 

I need to finish up Deaths Door then I will move onto this. If its close to the brilliance of that game I will be happy. 

Fair enough but I'm not the sort to wade through shit for three hours on a promise. I can believe it picks up and gets better, I just don't think it's the sort of thing that will appeal to me. I was hoping for more Shadowrun than poor man's Nex Machina.

It’s very OK. Looks quite nice, the gunplay is quite fun, the world is pretty well designed. Can see it would be good with a couple of other people, although pretty basic (there’s no classes right, so it would just more more people shooting shit). 

Ive played through to the second boss I guess, and quite enjoyed it. Not sure I’m interested enough to carry on though. 

I'm enjoying this, it's a solid B Game. Feels like an updated Crusader: No Remorse. The combat's a lot of silly gory fun and it all looks quite nice.

I really wish the camera was zoomed out just a smidgen, but I can see why you probably wouldn't want that on a TV.

The dorks who coded this must either have eagle eyesight or sit 2” away from a monitor. 

Anyway, it’s not for me, downloaded, tried it and promptly uninstalled. That’s what gamepass is great for. 

This runs very weirdly on my PC solid 60fps most of the time and then well jerky for seconds followed by perfectly normal again. Weird.

Doesn't matter what settings I use...

Edited by El Spatula
Oh right it's the DX12 stutter thing combined with the utter shite that is PC Game Pass

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Eugh, that's a hard pass for me then. I think a game that hasn't engaged you in the first hour is doing something very wrong.

I like it. Only a couple of hours in. Reminds me of Ruiner because of the tactical approach to a twin stick shooter but this is way better.

Controls take some getting used to but between the crouching and aiming its got its own sense of weight and physicality.

Loved the intro cinematic, nice and moody.

Got a bug where the 'select a profile' is appearing on screen over my character creation so I can't see what the hell I'm doing. Slightly annoying, restarting my Series X as we speak.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

This runs very weirdly on my PC solid 60fps most of the time and then well jerky for seconds followed by perfectly normal again. Weird.

Doesn't matter what settings I use...

Yeah just tried it on pc, same here. Lazy pc ports are winding me up bigtime ATM. Looks like I'm sticking with my series s for this one. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Fun enough, it feels a bit of a slog but passable in multiplayer. Terrible ui scale, no real feel of levelling up, weapons feel underpowered.

6/10 because its gamepass

This is how the slide to mediocrity starts.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

The dorks who coded this must either have eagle eyesight or sit 2” away from a monitor. 

Anyway, it’s not for me, downloaded, tried it and promptly uninstalled. That’s what gamepass is great for. 

Yeah, it feels like a nerdy PC cyberpunk wankfest, which I might have been up for, but it’s clearly made by and for types who like to hunch over a screen and think they’re l33t haxxors. It’s all very stylised, but the game is really mundane shit. 

2 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

It's not very PC gamey at all? Extremely consoley in fact.

I think you’re missing my point. It’s a PC coding geek’s idea of a ‘cool console game’ but it seems like they’ve never really played one and just assumed they have no depth and repetitive task-based chore gameplay. 

They also don’t own a couch. 

19 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think I agree with the Metro score. Dunno what that says about me. 

well, you both compared it to nex machina...which it is nothing really like at all...

top tip, if using a pad, go to aim assist and turn it to high, its much better!

and whats with the sereis loading times!?!

im running it off a regular ssd (borked up my windows game pass nvme drive install) and it starts a new game in 8 seconds!?!

i think im gonna leave it a few days, see if they patch in what should be there, ya know, make it the same as the steam version!

5 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I'm out of here, all these hot takes are making me sweat.

This one is my favourite. 

How is it a hot take? The mission's broken and won't progress and there's no reset mission option so that that. How's that hard to understand?