The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

KartoffelKopf

While I'm at it the UI prompts for Dpad presses are hilarious. A tiny grey Dpad with a tiny red speck to indicate the direction you press. Could barely make it out in my PC monitor, never mind playing on the TV.

But that city...! 

That is so true, first time I saw one I wondered why it was missing the direction indication!

Been playing this quite a bit last night and this morning and have been enjoying it alot.  Only stopped last night when it crashed to dash and I couldn' t face the terrible load times in starting it back up :lol: (am on XB1X).  One thing this game gets right than many get so wrong is that after dying you are straight back in the action almost immediately.  Hate games where it reloads everything on dying as it wastes so much time.

Definitely worth doing a few side missions and exploring the areas a bit as you'll pick up quite a few weapon upgrade components, mods and augs by doing so and that helps out a lot and makes things more fun.  Also the cyberdeck does just upgrade as you pick up the items and I can now hack the vending machines :)

I really do wish there was a 'run' button though, the areas are huge and the movement speed is too slow relative to the size of them

17 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

After a few more hours, I feel like the only real reason to play this is to look at the locations. Some of them are as incredible as anything I've seen in a game. But when you get down to what you actually have to do, there's so little reason for any of it to exist. Amazing they went to this much trouble to model this world when they had nothing more substantial than this to fill it.

Would be ace if they just re-used the whole city for a completely different game.

18 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Would be ace if they just re-used the whole city for a completely different game.

Something in the style of the modern Shadowrun games or maybe no combat at all like Disco Elysium. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:00, luckypierre said:

FullChrome bug?

Let me know if it works for you. I've tried it god knows how many times now with no joy. I've now done a few side missions, levelled up to 10, died a few times then returned to grinder and the fuckers still wont spawn.

I quit the game via the dashboard, restarted and they appeared so yep - it worked for me.

Starting to really enjoy this now - some of the weapons feel great and the visuals never fail to amaze.

It's not the deepest game ever but I think there's plenty to keep me entertained. I'm sticking with it.

Same here, just finished the…

Spoiler

Mech boss fight. Was a fun deferment to battle through to, although the boss was pretty straightforward

It’s utterly mindless, but I’m quite enjoying it now. 

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Same here, just finished the…

Reveal hidden contents

Mech boss fight. Was a fun deferment to battle through to, although the boss was pretty straightforward

It’s utterly mindless, but I’m quite enjoying it now. 

The 

Spoiler

Old Boy

homage in the lead up to that is great :D

There have been one or two harsh spikes that the rest of the game didn't prepare me for. I've been playing most of it on autopilot, then, bam, a bastard of a boss.

Biggest one so far about 6 hours in:

Spoiler

Mecharachnid.

Overall though I've settled on this being OK. There's too much mindless traipsing around, but the combat is solidly enjoyable.

19 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

There have been one or two harsh spikes that the rest of the game didn't prepare me for. I've been playing most of it on autopilot, then, bam, a bastard of a boss.

Biggest one so far about 6 hours in:

Hide contents

Mecharachnid.

Overall though I've settled on this being OK. There's too much mindless traipsing around, but the combat is solidly enjoyable.

Fucking hell, me too on that spike. Still not got past it 

24 minutes ago, spanx said:

Fucking hell, me too on that spike. Still not got past it 

Definitely use the pistol with electricity that you should have found in the area before. It's much more efficient than the electro assault rifle thing, because it reloads almost instantly.

I've so rarely used hacking in this, it's easy to forget it's there at all.

I've even found a few upgrades now and can still only get into level 1 treasure chests, and all the ones I've found recently have been 2 or 3.

Just now, BadgerFarmer said:

Ah. Never thought of that. Definitely would've helped, yeah.

I only realised you could do that once it had killed me a few times and it mentions it in the codex entry for the boss. As you say, the quick hack is so rarely used apart from opening chests and the odd door that it didn’t occur to me to actually use it in combat.

2 minutes ago, spanx said:

How do you upgrade hacking? Completely forgot that was a thing. 

You find upgrades to your deck out in the world that are automatically applied. Pays to hunt down all the chests on the map before you leave an area as there’s usually a deck upgrade in one of them.

53 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I'm really enjoying this!!

Question though - is there a way to set a custom waypoint? Like to the armour shop or something?

Don't think so. The map is pretty bad, really. I don't know why it can't show side-quests and the main mission at the same time either, or why you can't have more than one quest marker active at a time.

I’m really starting to dig this. It’s never going to win any prizes for sophistication, but it’s pretty good fun. The shooting is a bit scrappy, but I quite like the way you have to use cover and think about positioning (although it feels like they could have done a lot more with the mechanics). And it looks stunning, like a Citadel Miniatures diorama that goes on forever. 

The UI is absurdly bad, though. At least Flight Simulator has the excuse of being extremely complicated, as opposed this this, which somehow manages to make a twin stick shooter hard to understand. 

Yeah the Dominator’s awesome and having a 100-round clip means it’ll chew through a wave of enemies without having to reload. That and the Eraser energy shotgun have seen me through a good chunk of the game. As long as you keep them upgraded then they seem to slice through everything pretty comfortably.

Neutron Beam is ridiculously OP in the augs slot too. It absolutely annihilated a boss I faced in about 3 seconds.

At the moment i'm using the EBR Enforcer burst rifle (with homing shots!) and the Beseiger which is essentially the same as the RPG 23  but has a larger mag (30 rockets :))

Earlier on was using the dominator and the RPG 23 and before that was using the Hab Defender SMG.  Wish there were more weapon upgrade points available so I could upgrade and experiment a bit more.

Need to experiment a bit more with the tacticals and augs though as I don't really use them much, quite like the spider bots one though

Getting annoyed with some of the seeming bugs in this, had a couple of side quests where it just leads me to nowhere or where the next step wont pop when you get into the area.  A restart doesn't seem to fix it either. At least it doesn't crash as much as a lot of unreal engine games though :lol:

Agree that the UI could be a lot better!

I’m certainly annoyed at the lack of RT and DLSS at launch on PC Game Pass, but I’d swap it all for proper ultrawide support, rather than this zoom and crop bullshit we have at the moment.

Having to play in a window with all my desktop shite both sides is very immersion breaking. Pretty fucking terrible from any dev in this day and age.

The sidequest markers and level recommendations are completely fucked. In almost every case if it’s leading you to a seemingly random non-interactable location it’s because you have to progress further in the story until you can actually access the real area you need to get to for the side-quest. It’s happened about 3 or 4 times to me now and it’s quite infuriating but they do all open up eventually, so my advice is to just plug on with the story and worry about those sidequests later. They’re worth doing though as you get some nice augmentations out of a few of them.

The side quests are quite annoying. I did one before where the recommended level was 5; I was level 9, and even then kept getting one-shotted by enemies with a skull next to their health bar. I eventually managed to get through to the item I was supposed to retrieve, only to discover that I needed a more powerful cyberdeck to get into the room where it was stored, so couldn’t complete it.