Edge #359 - Solar Ash

Qazimod

I've really enjoyed the first three or so hours I've had with Famicom Detective Club. It looks completely lovely (static screens can't do justice to the very gentle animations) and the story is involving so far. I'm playing it with the view that I'll be reaching for a guide the instant I become stuck though. Understand some of the puzzles are pretty obtuse and I definitely don't have the patience for that kind of thing. 

I think Returnal is about an 8 for me. I keep feeling like the ghost at the feast whenever I pop my head round the door on the thread in here and it's full of GotYs and GoaTs. 

That RE8 review is more about the author’s complete disbelief at the absolute absurdity of the whole thing than a mechanical assessment of its value as a piece of interactive art and I am absolutely in favour of that kind of games writing. It’s a lot of fun to read and actually has me enthused about what sounds like a glorious shonky mess.

I've started Resi Villy three days ago - I was waiting for my new mancave telly to arrive first. And yes the classic edge 6 strikes again! It's a wonderful and completely absurd Resi romp so far, a crazy love letter to the entire series that might even play better than any before. A dev team at the top of their game. Less scary than 7 but so far, despite that, even better than 7. A 9 feet tall vampire Christina Hendricks just picked me up and smacked me about a bit, and this might be the best game ever :wub: - edge 6 sounds about right! (Unless it drastically declines in quality fun towards the end, in that case it should have been an edge 7)

On 17/05/2021 at 15:02, Timmo said:

5 is genuinely one of my favourite co-op memories. I'd never play it on my own, though. 

I played 5 for the first time quite recently as it was cheap on Switch, and really enjoyed it. I only got to the bit where that massive giant is smashing up your jeep, but it was good fun I thought.

It feels like a random gamecube game you would pick up from game station in a 3 for £15 sale, that you would fall in love with.

Bonkers, all over the place, no filler, and exactly what the developers were aiming for.

The fact that such a high budget game can still be so weird fills me with delight.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think it was necessarily a negative. It’s a very fun review.

Only numbers matter in this thread Alex, none of this "words" lark — you know better than that ;)

It's a very funny review that threatens to break free of the Edge house style in places, with some fantastically withering putdowns - mainly of Ethan Winters, but also quite funny in the way its so dismissive of Resident Evil fancruft in general. I quite like the irreverent attitude it takes - in games journalism generally, big franchise games are generally reviewed by megafans of said franchise, so its quite refreshing to see Chris Redfield dismissed as the chump he is. But for all that, it gives a good overview of the game, and gives me a good idea of whether I'd like it. 

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

It feels like a random gamecube game you would pick up from game station in a 3 for £15 sale, that you would fall in love with.

I've been trying to articulate how I feel about VIIIage since finishing it over the weekend and this just about nails it. It is of an entirely different time and design philosophy to pretty much any modern videogame and that is both its strength and weakness.

1 hour ago, K said:

It's a very funny review that threatens to break free of the Edge house style in places, with some fantastically withering putdowns - mainly of Ethan Winters, but also quite funny in the way its so dismissive of Resident Evil fancruft in general. I quite like the irreverent attitude it takes - in games journalism generally, big franchise games are generally reviewed by megafans of said franchise, so its quite refreshing to see Chris Redfield dismissed as the chump he is. But for all that, it gives a good overview of the game, and gives me a good idea of whether I'd like it. 

It’s off model but it does respect the current Edge review/preview house style of setting up a bad pun/metaphor in the opening paragraph and paying it off at the end. A sort of borderline shaggy dog story/dad joke energy. Not to point fingers but I wonder if this is @Nate Dogg III’s legacy as editor.

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s off model but it does respect the current Edge review/preview house style of setting up a bad pun/metaphor in the opening paragraph and paying it off at the end. A sort of borderline shaggy dog story/dad joke energy. Not to point fingers but I wonder if this is @Nate Dogg III’s legacy as editor.

I wouldn't dare try and take credit for anything beyond helping make a magazine every month for a few years, but that's certainly a way I've always liked to write. Edge has always been funny but I'd like to think that during my time we made it... not funnier, necessarily, but funny more often. 

That Resi review is an absolute cracker, a perfect exemplar of the hallowed 6. Half a dozen lines in there I'd kill to have written.

I enjoyed the Returnal review, which I think gets a lot right about the game and the mindset you need to enjoy it (in terms of it presenting as one type of game but actually being largely a slightly different one) and the Postscript about pricing was also decent!

Now to read the rest over the next few days.

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I'll be honest: when I went through the review (which I enjoyed) on Readly to see what the fuss was about I cringed as soon as I started reading the hand stuff because I knew it was going to crowbarred into the final sentence. It's a lazy device that is overused in magazine writing. The rest was entertaining though and didn't feel like an Edge review (for better or worse, depending on your perspective). It's put me off the game but seeing as I'd probably need to get Stadia to play it I don't think that changes much.

14 minutes ago, mackemansj1 said:

Has anyone delt with mymagazine subs, the website says it was delivered on 20th and I've not got it yet, my first issue of my sub so not a good start.

I have and they're shite. I cancelled my sub with them and resubbed with Pocketmags instead. Much better.