What are your most played games?

There's been a lot of discussion lately around the current pricing situation for new console games and how digital releases more often than not is way more expensive than the physical version, but what kind of game will usually give you the feeling of a good investment (no matter the price you paid). 

There are the simple games that basically repeats itself endlessly, like Tetris, and will give you endless playablility as no two games are ever the same. Personally I rarely spend a lot of time on these games, at least not compared to the ones I play the most and I usually grow tired of them after about 20 hours. 

Then there are the linear action games like bullet hell shooters where you can basically play through all levels in one sitting, aiming for a high score. 

What about open world games? Or survival horror? Or MMOs? RPGs? 

Personally, it seems like games based on an open world is my jam when it comes to most hours played for each title. Over the last decade my most played games, in hours, are as following: 

1: Minecraft - 2100h on the PC version alone, possibly another 500h on the Switch and PS4 versions.

2: World of Warcraft - 1800h (and I can add another 4000h for the period 2005-2011)

3: Disgaea 5 - 700h

4: Animal Crossing: New Horizon - 600h

5: The Legend of Zelda: BotW - 500h

6: Diablo 3 - 500h+ on PC version alone, possibly another 250h on Switch and PS4 (combined)

7: Stardew Valley: 450h+ combined between Switch, PC and PS4 versions 

8: Destiny: 400h

What strikes me with this list is that, apart from BotW, there are no games I usually tend to recommend to others whenever I'm asked what games I'd recommend.

Depending on who's asking, ofc, and if I know what they tend to like I usually recommend titles like Mario, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Forza Horizon, Pro Evolution Soccer (yes, I prefer it to FIFA), Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider, well, basically games that's sold bucketloads and are easy to get into. 

So, even if I play games for hundreds upon hundreds of hours myself I tend to recommend others to play games I've spent 10-50 hours on. 

I don't even want to look. All th games I've really sunk time into have been over multiple formats and I can't get the times for all that. I remember my WoW mains (like 2 of 5 characters or something) had something like 25 and 37 days on them.

Pretty sure Diablo III is in the high 400s in terms of hours. Destiny 1 and 2 easily have to be combined into about 1k hours. Maybe more. I'll go and look what my most played on Xbox are in a bit.

Borderlands 2 as well, actually. Xbox 360, Xbox One and Pc has to be high hundreds. Imagine all the shit I could be prolific in instead of spending it playing videogames...

1) Run Baby Run. Hard to quantify, but I'd estimate over 3000 hours in total.

2) Animal Crossing New Leaf - 2000 hours

3) Sonic the Hedgehog - 1000 hours

3) Mega-lo-Mania - 1000 hours

5) HYRULE WARRIORS - 900 hours

6) Slay - 500 hours

There are quite a few around the 300-500 hour mark - Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Super Mario 64, Civilisation II, Animal Crossing New Horizons, No Man's Sky, Persona 4 Golden, older Animal Crossing games, Stardew Valley, Big Ben Strikes Again, Steelyard Blues, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Shenmue, Phantasy Star III...

Honestly, I have no idea of how long I've spent on games prior to the Bone since TrueAchievements has no hours tracked for those games (which isn't a bad thing to be honest) so the pre-Bone games are estimates.

1. Halo 2 (1000+ hours)

2. Halo 3 (1000+ hours)

3. Gears of War 4 (592 hours)

4. Halo 5 (341 hours)

5. Titanfall (255 hours)

That is an utterly depressing amount of time that could have been spent doing other more productive pursuits, but here we are. :D

Destiny 2’s probably in the lead, with 500+ hours on Steam and all of the time on PSN…

At a genre-level, it’s probably RPGs. Something like P4 is around 50 hours long and I’ve finished that numerous times. P5 alone took 97 hours on my first playthrough. And I just finished Chrono Trigger last week. I think most of the “new” games I bought last year were RPGs - FFVIIR, P5R, Yakuza LaD, P4G.

A few years ago it might have been fighting games, but I try not to play them as much because my internet connection would just ruin everyone’s day :lol: 

Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Smash Bros for Wii U have around 1000 hours a piece logged by me. Melee is definitely in the hundreds of hours also.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses I’ve beaten 4 times, plus DLC story plus have done half finished runs. Just under 400 hours I think.

Dance Dance Revolution I have no method of counting due to playing mainly in arcade and across multiple home versions but I must be at 300-500 hours at this point.

Horizon: Zero Dawn I have ~700 hours in.

I’ve put hundreds of hours into yu-gi-oh games and simulators also. ~200 across both versions of legacy of the duelist, a good 100 on the world championship games (60 alone for WC2006 on GBA), and about the same level of time investment for unofficial simulators like fielding book and YGO Pro. That’s all without the actual real life card game.

In my teens I got into competitive Pokémon so there’s another 600 hours on Diamond alone.

I put 315 hours into one version of football manager, taking the series as a whole I’m not far off 800.

I feel like the games I’ve played the most would be Dark Souls and Skyrim. But across multiple consoles and hundreds of saves it’s really hard to tell. I’ve definitely put a lot of time into those two though. 

The biggest number I’ve ever seen on a game is PUBG on Steam which is about 2000 hours. I think about 800 on Destiny. Though Destiny brings up an interesting point.

When I think of the time I spent playing Destiny, I don’t really differentiate between 1 and 2, and I guess that would be the other place I’ve got big hours would be franchises that are many entries long and very similar. I must have clocked massive hours on successive basically identical Pokemon games. I’ve played three animal crossing games for 300-500 hours each.

Steam reckons I've spent 3,312.6 hours playing Football Manager 2019, but then Steam's blissfully unaware that it sits open during my working day so I can dip in and out. Still, it's probably my most played game even in spite of that. And it's 7,661.7 hours for the games in the series that Steam has tracked (10, 12, 14, 17, 19). 

Which is a good reason why I think viewing games as the consumption of time, and chasing the best ratios of cost to hours entertainment to be a pointless pursuit. I've played far fewer hours of, and paid more money, for Silent Hill 2 but that's a game that's stayed with me ever since, and from a blank slate I'd sooner be buying that than any cheap time sink you care to mention.

But yes, interests of the thread and all that, when you strip out football games, Steam reckons it's Elite Dangerous (66.4 hours) closely followed by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (an impressive 58.2 hours, given it's the first on the list that isn't endless). On other platforms, I've sunk a lot of time into Minecraft and Rock Band (another where the cost-per-minute really falls down because each minute is worth a hundred of running around some bland open world), but most games are of the one-and-done variety. 

obligatory PoE post:

image.png.270b7fe95d0ac00b447575feb5a9bd6e.png

The numbers aren't exactly correct, as all three have had third party clients before being on Steam. PoE is something like 3,000 hours, The Destiny 2 API bot estimates 1,345 hours including orbit (in-game downtime) time, PSO2 is 622 Hours plus around another 200 hours on the JP client.

One game that's not featured is Phantasy Star Universe, which was probably riding at about 2,000 hours by the time the official XBox 360 service was finished. And then another couple hundred hours or so on the only functional private server.

Path of Exile is kind of unfair, though - normally, I dunk 80-100 hours into the game in three-month intervals (when there's a new league/economy), and I've been playing it for the last ten years. so it's been in service for about double the time of everything else, so it's got a naturally higher count on the timer.

I tend to jump around between games rather than put thousands of hours into one. I think if we're counting the two Destiny games as essentially the same thing then I've spent around 300 hours on those. But yeah as people say, compare that time to the thirty hours spent completing Resi 4 twice and Resi will always stick in the mind longer than 10% of my public event chasing madness on Destiny. 

I'm pretty astounded by some of these figures!

I can't generally put more than 50 hours into a multiplayer game without becoming bored, so my most played tend to be big RPGs that I've played singleplayer, sometimes more than once. Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3, etc are at over 200 hours, there's probably a straight line you can trace back to the Pokemon games and FFTA when I was a kid, there, with similar playtimes.

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

FWIW I was actually quite astounded by some of my own figures, not even in a good way :( 

I had about 3000 hours on Street Fighter IV across its various iterations and platforms. That was a while ago and I've been playing it a fair bit recently (plus it doesn't count playing on friends' systems or tournaments) so its likely around 3500+. 

Street Fighter V is over 1000 hours too but im unsure by how much.

Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are likely the only games that come close to the 500 hour mark. Maybe the original Super Mario Bros since I still play through it very often.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What's this now? Is it just for the PC version?

Not just for the PC version, but it is some sort of Discord Bot we have in our group called Charlemagne (affectionately known in sweary rants as Charles).

I was surprised at the time spent on Destiny 2, but looking at the actual data, there's a lot of downtime:
image.png.0d952929a794689d82c10fdd4b1a7dbc.png

I'm guessing Total time includes matchmaking (including getting into the tower and every single fucking thing you do in the game), and fucking around in the tower itself. and when you're managing loadouts and a limited vault and getting two to five other people to do the same thing during piss breaks, that's a lot of fucking around.

The only 1000+ hours game I can confirm is The Division on PS4 which is at just shy of 1100 hours.

I reckon I might have done over 1k on the following:

Championship Manager 03/04

Rome Total War

Medieval: Total War 2

39 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

What really amazes me is that I've played 2000 hours of PUBG and I'm shite. Even with all that practice I can't touch most of the people I run into.

Over 1K on Splatoon 2 for sure; and as I played the original for 2 years, much more combined.

There aren't many games I play for a long time - I tend to complete and move on to the next item in m'pile o' shame.

A few others on Switch are standing out - Hades, Slay the Spire; roguelikes with a twist.

I checked on my GTA online time this weekend:

4619 hours. 

What the actual fuck. 

Next up is Division 2, which is sitting at around 1700 hours. 

The only other things I've played which could be anywhere near as close is Counterstrike and Planetside while I was in university. No idea what those figures would be. 

12 minutes ago, Polmon said:

I checked on my GTA online time this weekend:

4619 hours. 

That's actually very impressive. That means if you've played a solid 4 hours each day, all days and weeks of the year it's 5 years, or just over 3 hours daily since it was released back in 2014 (PC). 

I'm one of those people who put a game on, play it for hours and hours and hours then see Steam reckons I've played for 3 hours. Can't imagine putting more than 100 hours into something, I'd have to be on that all day every day for months and I'll be bored of it well before that. Games just don't have that addictive appeal for me, for some reason. 

Looking at some of the numbers above I get the impression if you're playing an online game with others regularly, especially in a team, that probably makes the time stack up. I am not part of any online gaming groups, The Division 2 I put about 40 hours into solo and was thoroughly fed up of the treadmill by the end of it. 

I don't know how much is a natural resistance to addictive/compulsive qualities in general, and how much is the ADHD (or, indeed, if there's any meaningful distinction between those two things), but despite hideous hours spent playing games over the decades, I've not hit 200 hours in any single game that I know of.

My interest in any one game lasts until I stop feeling like there are new things to do or discover* - which means a single playthrough for good single player games, less if they're particularly predictable and unchallenging, and multiple if they have particularly engaging, dynamic gameplay and/or story variability. And multiplayer games last as long as friends want to play them locally - I've no interest in "mastering" online games, but games as social lubricant I enjoy.

So, Dragon Age: Origins, being both long and having an impressively changeable story, has had two full playthroughs and each prologue completed, and comes closest to 200 hours played. Other than that, a few Total War games have passed the 100 hour mark, Rock Band must have been knocking at the door. And longer RPGs tend to sit around the 100 hour mark, if they've managed to keep me interested to their end - Witcher 3, Personae 4 and 5. Maybe KOTOR2, which I've played through three times.

* special exemption for games which just please me to experience at an ambient level - Rez being the prime example here - but these tend to be shorter/endless games which I'll dip into for an hour or less at a time, so don't end up taking up huge swathes of my gaming time.

It's got to be Rock Band for me, although that's across multiple iterations - must be thousands of hours all told, both solo and in company. Quite a lot in Singstar, too, back in the day.

Other than that, it tends to be MMOs - I've put several hundred hours into Final Fantasy XIV, I probably did the same with XI, and LOTRO's probably got the biggest tally of them all albeit split over several characters at various points over the last 14 years.

In terms of single-player games, nothing really comes close: I managed 150 hours on Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I've probably got about the same across three different releases of Hyrule Warriors, but unless you're going to count the Yakuza or Civilization series as a single game or something there aren't that many things that can hold my interest for that long.

For traditional games the largest figure by far for me is Spelunky. On Steam alone I've got 1276 hours, but I played it a fair whack on 360 and Vita as well (maybe another 300 or 400 hours). After that I've got 683 hours on Stardew Valley. I've no idea how much time I've spent in Minecraft - I'm guessing that would have to be over 1000 hours. Civ 2 would be a monster too.

One game that would beat those though is the web-based Kingdom Of Loathing. I put a daft amount of time into that back when I first found it, and for years afterwards. I completed 90-odd hardcore ascensions, spent loads of time farming and just bimbling about, and have spent silly hours just trading, (I'm probably a meat billionaire if I count my assets as well as my cash). I still pop in occasionally to see what's going on, and to try to offload some of my inventory in the mall. I shudder to think what the total would be.

12 minutes ago, MarkN said:

One game that would beat those though is the web-based Kingdom Of Loathing. I put a daft amount of time into that back when I first found it, and for years afterwards. I completed 90-odd hardcore ascensions, spent loads of time farming and just bimbling about, and have spent silly hours just trading, (I'm probably a meat billionaire if I count my assets as well as my cash). I still pop in occasionally to see what's going on, and to try to offload some of my inventory in the mall. I shudder to think what the total would be.

Hang on, what is this? I've never even heard of it! How does it differ from West of Loathing, which is one of my favourite games on Switch?

Braytech says I've played Destiny 2 for 32 days, so 768 hours? That's probably the most for a single game, and I deliberately haven't touched it for more than a year. Slay the Spire is ~200 hours across PC and Switch.

As a series, Monster Hunter is into the thousands of hours. Tri, multiple hundreds of hours. Portable 3rd HD, 100+ hours (set building is not fun in Japanese). I was able to FTP my old save off the WiiU for 3 Ultimate, which turns out to be my most-played at 600 hours (550 on my original saves, 50 replaying it up to G Rank recently). World + Iceborne, 415 hours. MH4U HD (via an emulator), 100+ hours. Generations Ultimate, 200+ hours. Rise, 170 hours and counting.

624014394_CEMUScreenshot2020_09.15-18_45_51_94.thumb.png.12168b51b8fb453d8d33d789c43bdc39.png

Number 1 is definitely World of Warcraft. Played that for well over 800 days from vanilla up to and including Pandaria.

Numbers 2 and beyond include Overwatch (gonna estimate 800 hours), Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny (1 and 2 combined), Soulsborne (entire franchise).

One I have no evidence for but I definitely played A LOT is Binding of Isaac.

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Hang on, what is this? I've never even heard of it! How does it differ from West of Loathing, which is one of my favourite games on Switch?

It's the free web-based game that predates West Of Loathing by many years. You basically create a character and run through a story full of daft adventures full of puns and jokes and other silliness. There's tons of great stuff in there - things I still quote from time to time. When you finish the whole quest you can ascend, pick a skill to make permanent, and then do it all again. Or you can hang around and do all sorts of other things instead. I think I must have had an account for close to 10 years now, so it's been around a while. It's much quieter in there now, but there's usually 2 or 300 hundred people logged in at any given time.

Well worth a go, since it's free: https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php

Having said that it's probably the game I've spent the most on too. It makes money by selling a useful accessory for $10 a pop. I probably bought about a dozen over the years (it converts into in-game currency, which I used to need).

I'd agree that most games have way less than 200 hours playing time - 20-40 for a playthrough, then maybe a few runs through if I want to. Checking my Switch, it tells me Splatoon2 is 1820 hours or more - so probably 3000 hours across both versions (essentially the same game on two platforms).

After that it's Slay the Spire at 490 hours, then Hades at 120 hours.

But those are online and rogue-like, like I said; loads of replay value. So for a normal game, it would have to support multiple runs - I guess Dishonored would count; I rinsed it through about 4 times the first time around, then did another Corvo play-through on the remasters. I then did all the DLC and several run-throughs of the second. So I spent a lot of time in that game world.

Shadow of the Colossus I have played through a half-dozen times; although it's not a long game, so I expect it's nowhere near 200 hours.