It's a vertical shooter, fast paced, very colourful, space themed ..

Think it was on pc, or maybe something with a smaller screen..

Can't think of much else. Maybe there was bells or colourful laser beams. It's not tyrian or twinbee or that kinda thing. Kinda like tyrian I guess but very colourful and cool looking.

Soz ,halp?

You have just described most shooters! Anything else to help such as when you played it? What was the ship like? Any memorable bosses?

Parody post?

8 hours ago, erhgiez said:

You have just described most shooters! Anything else to help such as when you played it? What was the ship like? Any memorable bosses?

Parody post?

I know i described most shooters, sorry it was very fast, but very colourful.

I can't remember much else, I'm starting to think it's this game I only saw in my dream. On a pub machine.

But it looked so good.

I wonder if the carrot ship from Tyrian manifested into my dreams as a whole game. 

I vaguely remember seeing it on a smallish wide screen.

Good luck lol :|

12 minutes ago, dumpster said:

While we are at it, can anyone remember an Amiga game? It was on a disk and was sold in shops. 

Amiga games sold in shops? That's a new one most of the time the disks were passed around in school. 

33 minutes ago, dumpster said:

While we are at it, can anyone remember an Amiga game? It was on a disk and was sold in shops. 

Yes I remember that game.

Yes, any advice welcome.. it came.in a box and had a price.stiker (top right).  It was.written by a coder and had graphics by artists.  The music was great and was done by musicians.  Come on, you must remember.  Honestly. 

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

Yes, any advice welcome.. it came.in a box and had a price.stiker (top right).  It was.writtem by coder and had graphics by artists.  The music was great and was done by musicians.  Come on, you must remember.  Honestly.

Radiant Silvergun? I'm starting to think it's Radiant Silvergun I only saw in my dream. On an Amiga, in shops.

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

I actually was thinking of making another thread anout this old spectrum game that is bugging me. But this thread is putting me off! :unsure:

I thought we had a stickied "name the game" thread. I find it weird that we do not. I'm sure there are loads, and loads of people on this forum that have vague memories of a game, but can't recall what it is, but would benefit from forum knowledge.

Can a mod go throught he retro forum, look up the 20+ topics all along the same lines as this, and merge them altogether into one giant MEGATRON CHIMERA of a topic please? Thanks.

I too have been wondering about a ZX Spectrum title, for years. I saw it, played it, but cannot for the life of me find it again. The system had thousands of games, so looking through each one is not a real option.

It's a side-scrolling platform adventure. Which narrows it down to about a million games. At one point you're in a house, or an attic? It's not Attic Attack. And you need to use items to pass certain barriers. But it uses a text parser to use items. So you're moving, and jumping, and walking, and then you get to a knight in armour, and you have to type "Use Item" or whatever, and it gets used, and you can then resume walking.

The thing that sticks out in my mind, is that unlike a lot of other arcade action adventure platformers on the Speccy, this required a text parser like a traditional text adventure. A bit of a mash up. But I last saw it over 15 years ago, so maybe I am dreaming it.

Btw... Is yours Radiant Silvergun by any chance? :eyebrows:

The one I'm thinking of was a side scroller, where you ran to the right knocking over the enemy characters using a football.  It's called Soccer Kid and was really good but I've got intermittent memory loss and have no idea what its called.  It was great though and it was called Soccer Kid.  You could do football tricks. The music was great and it was called Soccer Kid. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I thought we had a stickied "name the game" thread. I find it weird that we do not. I'm sure there are loads, and loads of people on this forum that have vague memories of a game, but can't recall what it is, but would benefit from forum knowledge.

Can a mod go throught he retro forum, look up the 20+ topics all along the same lines as this, and merge them altogether into one giant MEGATRON CHIMERA of a topic please? Thanks.

I too have been wondering about a ZX Spectrum title, for years. I saw it, played it, but cannot for the life of me find it again. The system had thousands of games, so looking through each one is not a real option.

It's a side-scrolling platform adventure. Which narrows it down to about a million games. At one point you're in a house, or an attic? It's not Attic Attack. And you need to use items to pass certain barriers. But it uses a text parser to use items. So you're moving, and jumping, and walking, and then you get to a knight in armour, and you have to type "Use Item" or whatever, and it gets used, and you can then resume walking.

The thing that sticks out in my mind, is that unlike a lot of other arcade action adventure platformers on the Speccy, this required a text parser like a traditional text adventure. A bit of a mash up. But I last saw it over 15 years ago, so maybe I am dreaming it.

Btw... Is yours Radiant Silvergun by any chance? :eyebrows:

Something in the magic knight series?

i had to look up the games because I only remembered stormbringer, and finders keepers which didn’t have the text system

spellbound

knightyme

Edited by SeanR
9 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The one I'm thinking of was a side scroller, where you ran to the right knocking over the enemy characters using a football.  It's called Soccer Kid and was really good but I've got intermittent memory loss and have no idea what its called.  It was great though and it was called Soccer Kid.  You could do football tricks. The music was great and it was called Soccer Kid. 

Was it Marko's Magic Football?

9 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Something in the magic knight series?

i had to look up the games because I only remembered stormbringer, and finders keepers which didn’t have the text system

spellbound

knightyme

You know, I have repeatedly over the years wondered if this was it. And I'm tempted to say yes, if only to stop my mind wondering... But I also recall the environments were smaller. In the MK series each room the ceiling is the screen's height, but I recall there being different heights per screen. Sort of like Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy, so you'd go up and down... ladders? Stairs? Elevators? :wacko:

You know what, let's just agree it's Magic Knight, because that's the easier solution (in this instance) than chasing ghosts. Certainly the text system looks about right?

21 hours ago, dumpster said:

Soccer Kid was not great. I won it in a pack of Golden Grahams. To my shame I traded it with a kid at school for a copy of Star Fox. 

On 09/05/2021 at 09:27, Sketch said:

Radiant Silvergun

no, i dont think it was a bullet hell like that. looks nice though!

On 09/05/2021 at 11:28, Sureshot said:

DonPachi / DoDonPachi?

One of the Raiden series?

Dont think so, but this looks great... 2 player simultaneous? too many console shooters lacked that. the NES had a really good one.

176277-DoDonPachi_(Japan)_(v1.1)-1490276011.png&f=1&nofb=1

Raiden also looks cool,  but no... this ones first level was in black of space i think.

image.png.8ecbab9b6e77ae33b404ec148a625902.png juicy

It must have been on DOS or something, thats mostly what i played games on as a kid except master system..

On 09/05/2021 at 14:11, SeanR said:

Was the screen small or wide?

you know whats weird, my memory of it is that the screen was wide, but you went vertically.. i mean maybe this thing was a video game in another video game. like in a game theres a little arcade game and its this... lol, but it was cool.

On 09/05/2021 at 16:40, acidbearboy said:

Age? Format? Graphical style?

is this amiga chat room? AFG ??

age of game, at least 20+ years old id say. maybe ~25+

format: video game. might be a game inside another game.

graphical style: cool. colourful. fast paced. level 1 was black space background. i think there was a side bar at the right with enemy types/score maybe. and possibly fruit machine. or with card symbols (spade, clubs etc)

On 10/05/2021 at 12:04, Meers said:

Ikaruga?

nope