PS5 & Xbox Series: 6 months on, how are you finding the new gen?

The Xbox Series X and S are half a year old on Monday, the PS5 on 19th May, so I'm a touch premature here, but I was interested to know what people's impressions have been of the new generation of consoles six months (ish) after their UK release dates.

Speaking for myself, I got my XSX just before Christmas. I bought it with the intention of having it as my main games playing device, but to date I've only actually played through one game on the console, Ori and the Will O the Wisps, which I thought was great, although not really 'next gen', seeing as it was an Xbox One game. Thanks to Game Pass, I've sampled a handful of other games, but (perhaps also thanks to Game Pass), haven't felt compelled to see them through to completion, and ended up abandoning them after a few hours. I've bought two games for my Xbox, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which I promptly sold on, and It Takes Two, which I wanted to play with my wife but haven't been able to as the controller which came with my console suddenly stopped working and is currently in a UPS sorting office in Germany, which is where it's been for the past two weeks, so at the moment the console is gathering dust. The hardware itself I think is impressive in how quietly it runs and how quick it is to load, but I don't feel like I've really got to know it that well in the the months since I've owned it, and despite having a choice of over a hundred Game Pass games to play, there's not much that really stands out.

The PS5 I've had since February after getting swept up by the stock chasing hype while bored during lockdown, despite telling myself when I bought the Series X that I wouldn't get a PS5 until at least Christmas time this year. And in spite of the fact that it's ugly as all sin, it's noticeably louder than the XSX and I've experienced at least one crash with every game I've played on it so far, I can safely say that I've enjoyed my time with this console more than I have with my Xbox. This is purely down to the games: Astro's Playroom was an absolute joy, and Demon's Souls I sunk about 40 hours into. I'm excited to play Returnal at some point in the future, Ratchet and Clank looks great, as does Deathloop, and the prospect of God of War 2, Horizon 2 and the next Naughty Dog game, whatever form that takes, means (for the moment, at least) I'm a lot more intrigued by Playstation's future than I am Xbox's.

What are your impressions, 6 months on?

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Didn't we just have this thread last week?

Did we? I've been busy with work recently so I haven't been online as much as usual. Apologies if I missed it!

Still loving my Series X. It just takes out the chug and slowness of my One X. Shinies on old games, 60 FPS boost, the best pad they've made, quick loading, quick resume when it decides to work, it's all I need right now.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Did we? I've been busy with work recently so I haven't been online as much as usual. Apologies if I missed it!

Yeah, it's the 'Any regrets' thread.

Series S since Xmas. Absolute steel at the price. Been using it more than my PC with a rtx 2070. Game Pass is a great price for what it offers so have had plenty to play without having to empty my wallet (mainly Yakuza's) Love the proper console type size and look to it and is super fast booting in and out of games and navigating round menus. 

But this isn't about regrets, it's about how we feel about our consoles six months on.

As for me, my PS5 is amazing ... WHEN IT FUCKING WORKS! I've had to send it back to Sony TWICE! They have it right now, and I'm hoping they just replace it. My nephew's machine is rock solid, no crashes or anything, so I've clearly been unlucky. Still the PS5 has games worth having the machine for: The best version of Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and now Returnal which, despite Sony's silly price tag, is fucking excellent. 

How am I finding the new gen?

Well a lot of people recommend stock alert services but those don’t seem to account for being in Japan so no good to me. I basically gave up looking actively - there is a shop that holds stock of PS5 for sale to owners of their credit card only, so I check there sometimes to see if they’ve dropped the restriction. Otherwise I just check Amazon.

As for Xbox, I have never found any evidence of those consoles being for sale in Japan.

Yeah I'm happy with the PS5. The games, the controller, the UI... I'm even a fan of the look of the thing.

At present it's somewhat hard to distinguish it from the PS4. It's silent and loads things a bit quicker but I've principally been using it to play PS4 games, so it has felt like quite a soft transition.

Demon Soul's has been one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had though and the graphics, sound and the little touches, such as the speaker on the controller enhancing some of the bigger slashes, has certainly distinguished itself as a next gen experience.

No regrets and I'm looking forward to many of the announced games along with PSVR2 next year.

My PS5 has basically been a 60fps PS4 since I got it, but now it's a Returnal machine. Man, that game is phenomenal.

Series S is a lovely little bit of kit and I have no idea how Microsoft made this thing so small and yet completely silent. Shame it's not getting much use ATM, but I have been dipping in and out of Destiny 2.

After the launch "euphoria" and completion of Astro and Miles I was a little "what now?"

Returnal, as much as it kicks my arse, is phenomenal and, after my post in the thread about it maybe not being for me, I'm loving it now. I'm still not very good at it but something has clicked and I understand some of the mechanics a little more meaning I'm getting better at it. 

Judgment arrived this morning so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into that at 60FPS.

Ratchet next month, Kena in August, Deathloop in September is a decent quarter.

I love the pad, it just feels great. I've had no drift issues either.

My biggest gripe is still fan noise. It's not noisy but compared to my Series S it's noticable.

With regards to the Series S, well, I'm on my second. I don't know why I bought a other. The thought that I might get round to playing the Dead Space Trilogy again and the promise of Halo at some point (when I'll have a PS5 back log of shame) make me think I should keep it but, erm, I don't know.

The d-pad is horribly clicky and the buttons still feel spongy and don't always register presses. But, but, but it's so small and quiet and dare I say it, cute to look at.

Xbox Series X all the little details are what make it, faster loading, quieter than anything, instant on and quick resume, smart delivery, backwards compatibility + enhancements, FPS boost, auto HDR etc.

On paper that sounds really boring but playing games with all those things is a transformative experience, everything looks or feels better, more stable. It’s basically what PC gamers have been enjoying for years just made simpler and more affordable. I love it. 

Add Game Pass into the mix and it’s a lethal combo, I’m never short of something play, and I play loads in co-op with my family too there’s so much on there, something for everyone. 

I’m really interested in PS5 but not felt compelled to try and buy one, and the games are way too expensive. 

I have PS5 and a Series X but haven’t had them for long or played anything next-gen on either yet, they are basically used for catching up on last gen stuff plus Roblox/Minecradt etc for my son. 

I really don’t know how they managed to make the X so small and quiet though. It sits there like a little stealth black box of doom. The PS5 is comparatively loud even just playing PS4 games. 

I suspect I’ll be using the Xbox as the multi format machine and then looking at whatever exclusives are on the Ps5 - and at this point the latter has far more next gen games!

Got them both. I prefer the Xbox, it’s smaller, quieter and the user interface is nicer. Better controller too. The PS5 hasn’t been switched on in months. I’ve kept myself busy with Switch games and curating my Lanchbox collection recently, so I’m not too bothered about the lack of next gen games so far. 

I've been predominantly a PC gamer but also had most of the consoles through the years. Last gen I had a PS4 (bought for Bloodborne but the other exclusives were a cherry on top) and I skipped the Bone as I couldn't find a single exclusive that I wanted to play so I spent my money keeping the PC hardware current for gaming.

Got a Series S at launch and 3 years of cheap GP. Spent the last 6 months playing and loving a ton of games that I previously wouldn't have considered and also playing games that I actually own the PC version of but hadn't played as I can now play on the big TV from the couch. For me, the Series S has almost paid for itself over it's short life so far with even more to come. The work that MS is putting into improving older games to run on the X/S is admirable and that's something I thought I'd never say lol. FPS Boost, Quick Resume etc all excellent quality of life improvements

Got a PS5 3 months ago, mainly for Demon's Souls and like others I've ended up using it more as a souped up PS4. But the boosts to those PS4 games have made them even more enjoyable. I've always hated the DS pads but the DualSense is great and as the few current gen games have shown, the haptics are brilliant. I even like how the PS5 looks! Working through my backlog of PS4 stuff and loving every minute of it

The lack of current gen games doesn't bother me due to having a huge pile of shame so I consider both consoles as my investment in gaming for the next few years. I really can't see me buying many games for the Series S and I can happily wait for the £70 price tag to lower for PS5 games (or source them at a reduced price if I really want them)

So, yeah I love both and genuinely looking forward to see what else they bring

Since having a PC and picking up hundreds of game I don’t need because they’re cheap, my mindset has switched from console gaming trader to a collector of sorts. 

The Series X is a great machine and the ability to have games running better than before and loading quickly and quietly suits this sort of collector mindset so I don’t mind too much that there’s not much new on there. 

However, I think some exciting shiny stuff will have to come soon. I’m looking at the Mass Effect collection and will buy the Capcom Arcade Collection. Nice things to have on a fast loading games machine, but hardly cutting edge. 

I mean, the new gen has been the same as most other new gens - a relative drought of games worth the price of admission. There's been nothing to convince me to pick up a PS5 before any price drops, bundles and/or hardware revisions - even if there was stock readily available.

This is, however, the same as the PS4, and it 100% boils down to "I have a PC and that has enough cool and fancy shit to play". Generations have basically blurred into one big mess of retro emulation, private servers for action RPGs and outstandingly expansive games like Satisfactory.

But at least with the Series S and Game Pass, the initial price of admission is greatly reduced. As mentioned in the Regrets thread, it's a lovely quiet little box just to have under the telly when I can't be arsed cranking the big computer up. That, in itself, has value.

I’m delighted with my PS5. The Dualsense is wonderful and the run of really impressive exclusives has been better than the first six months of the PS4. I’ve filled in gaps playing PS4 games I missed last time at a higher frame rate. It’s been great.

I was on furlough last year, and told by the business owners that the plan was to bring me back to work part time when the furlough scheme ended - until things picked up. As a big PS4 gamer last gen, and someone who was very disappointed in the Xbox One that I had, my initial plan had been to preorder a PS5 and maybe get a Series S later on. I thought it best to put these plans on hold as it may be more prudent to hang on to my savings.

When it looked like the government were going to announce an extension to furlough and I was told that I would remain on it for the foreseeable, I thought "what the hell". I was bored to tears at home, so I would try and get one of the new consoles to entertain myself. By that point, I'd missed the preorder windows for both consoles, but luckily I managed to bag a Series S on launch. I justified it to myself as the cheapest next gen option and thought that I could always sell it on if things didn't look to be getting back to normal at work.

During the last year, I'd been earning loads of Microsoft Reward points, so have been using them on a Gamepass Ultimate subscription. I've been really impressed by Gamepass and by the Series S as a machine. The value for money from both almost makes me feel that I'm taking advantage of Microsoft, and at some point they're going to realise and take it all back. I've been so impressed by the whole thing that I'm considering an upgrade to a Series X further down the line. My initial FOMO regarding the PS5 has now subsided and the £70 price point of the games has somewhat tempered my enthusiasm towards getting one - certainly in the short term.

TLDR : I'm really happy with my Series S.

Had an X for couple of months now. It's the best console in terms of user experience since 16bit era. It's completely transformative for the impatient and time strapped gamer.

There's enough on gamepass to keep me from noticing the lack of new releases too. And the fact that my online playing friends and me have a constantly updated massive shared library is amazing. Every week we can try something new (then go back to Rocket League).

My console did have some handshake issues with my TV but a new hdmi cable seems to have fixed that.

Loads better than the PS4 at this point, where the exciting new games were Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein, after a barren launch period. The PS+ games at this point were poor too, whereas the PS5 selection has been great (all these souped up releases have been very nice) 

Having 30 odd PS4 games on Disc and another 200 from 7 years of ps plus and the choice is incredible really . It's also great that stuff like Metro Exodus are getting next gen patches for free. I can pick up a disc version for around 15 quid and enjoy a next gen experience dirt cheap. 

Had a PS5 since early December, and it's a monstrous thing; I love its hideous looks, am less enamoured with its excessive noise. I've enjoyed the souped up PS4 games on it, and Astro Bot and Demon's Souls were fantastic. Since February through it's barely had a look-in - a dearth of new games and what did come out being priced at a level I won't support rather put a dampener on things. While it plays PS4 games very well, its UI still feels like a step back, which honestly puts me off when I feel like browsing my games (it's daft, but aside from the losses in usability, I seriously miss my PS4 themes. No relaxing Rez/Tetris background animations and music to carry me through my browsing saddens me).

After spending February and the start of March mostly reading things instead of gaming (I went through 16 novels in an enjoyable blur, just like my good old days of being a schoolkid with a love of libraries...), I got back into first PC gaming and then my Xbox One, largely courtesy of Gamepass, and have been hammering those ever since.

In fact, with the One X really showing its age now in terms of slothful loading and interface, I bit the bullet this week and have a Series X on order from Smyths. I'm looking forward to playing the same games, but snappier, as of next week.

So, yeah, the new consoles to me mean more of the same, but wrapped in a better experience - or at least, that's what I want, and the PS5 is letting me down a little on that side thus far. Hopefully lowering prices will mean exclusives I'm willing to buy at some point, and UI improvements will continue until it's at least as nice as a PS4 was to use, but until then I expect I'll be getting most multiplatform games to play on the Xbox - particularly if it ends up being as quiet as promised. Looking forward to shiny Judgment and Mass Effect on my mini-fridge!