Is Resident Evil 6 good?

Is Resident Evil 6 a good game?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really like Resident Evil 6.  It's not the best Resident Evil game.  It's not even in the top 8.  But it's a great fun game anyway on its own merits, has the best version of Mercenaries of any, great co-op, and a good sense of the plain old silly.  Everything explodes, the dialogue is deliberately crazy, the action is relentless and there are multiple characters that have their own gameplay styles and levels that intersect each other's stories. 

It's great! Isn't it? 

• dumpster changed the title to Is Resident Evil 6 good?

Oh it is terrible. It starts out well and then just goes bonkers but in the most terrible way imaginable. It’s not fun, it’s not resident evil. It’s just throwing as much against the wall and hoping it sticks. But it doesn’t, it just dribbled down into the goopy mess it is.

Resi 6 is probably the most bonkers, self indulgent and yet massively entertaining game I’ve ever played.

Its got rough edges like razor blades but I lapped up every minute of it (well maybe not Ada’s campaign but aside from that).

Its a hell of a lot better than Resi 5 whatever else you may think of it.

Me and a mate had a bit of fun playing it co op but even that wasn't as much fun as playing 5 co op.

It's not very resident evil-y at all which is it's biggest problem. 

Resident evil 6 is the reason that 7 basically had nothing to do with the franchise apart from an umbrella logo at the end. 
It’s Resident evil made by a committee. 
I liked it in co-op because even dreadful games are fantastic with a good mate to giggle with. But on its own, it’s pretty dodgy tbh. 

I honestly don’t care how bloated it is or how tonally off it was. The biggest thing for me is the gunplay felt so lightweight compared to 4 and 5.

Headshots were so unsatisfying. 

25 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Resident evil 6 is the reason that 7 basically had nothing to do with the franchise apart from an umbrella logo at the end. 
It’s Resident evil made by a committee. 
I liked it in co-op because even dreadful games are fantastic with a good mate to giggle with. But on its own, it’s pretty dodgy tbh. 

Your first point, yeah maybe.

The second however...nah it’s more a case of what should we do for the next instalment of this franchise? Stay faithful to the last couple of episodes (Leon’s campaign), experiment with this Uncharted thing that the kids are going crazy for (Jakes campaign) or try and cross Gears of War with zombies (Chris’ campaign).

Hang on I’ve got an idea...let’s do all of them...in the same game, that will work.

Its a mess but basically represents 3 different ideas on where the franchise went, and then they just went and did all of them

I really like it too - I've been replaying some of it while waiting for Village, and gotta say I've really been enjoying it, plus there's some interesting and cool mechanics they threw in for the combat. However it really is all over the place in its tone - it's almost like a completely different game that they just put a "Resident Evil skin" over. :lol:

I can totally see why others would hate it - there are some really dodgy bits that just don't work, and I guess you either learn to just accept them or not (understatement).

It's a fun action game!

My biggest gripe with it is that there's absolutely no humour in it at all. One of RE4's most understated successes was how schlocky and 80's it could be. 5 and 6 were deadly serious by comparison (and, reportedly, so was 4 in its original Japanese version) and lost something as a result.

Eh. It's a complicated answer. The combat is genuinely pretty good taken on its own, but the QTE's, level design and storyline are... well, not. It's also dark as hell the whole way through. 

Also, it spits out dialogue like this. No punchline. Just this. 

39 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

So I voted yes, then realised I was thinking of Resi 5. Never played 6….

(can’t get enough of punching boulders)

Thank you, we need all the help we can get 

5 hours ago, James Lyon said:

The best thing about it is the giraffe enjoying himself in the logo.

Good lord. It really is someone sucking off a giraffe!

Resident-Evil-6-Logo-Image-e1327015673428.jpg

I've finished RE 1, 2, Code Veronica, 4, 5, RE1 Remake, RE2 Remake and a good chunk of 7 and about to start RE3 Remake. I remember playing 6 for about 20 minutes and feeling it was off, agreeing with everything I'd read about it before I started playing. Wandered away from it.

This thread just had me look on YouTube at a walkthrough and the opening 30 mins and it looks batshit insane. A terrible looking RE game but mad fun none the less. I'd forgotten everything about my 20 minutes or so playtime as it didn't ring any bells as I watched, definitely played the opening but its memory has evaporated out of my brain.

I have it and a save on my plumbed in in the bedroom 360 but after watching that crazy walkthrough for half an hour I'm actually tempted to go and buy it on Steam. Can we get it up to 4K?

Oh, and like the poster above who was a bit befuddled, I voted but it was based on my quick play and after seeing how crazy it looks in 2021 I think my vote is bollocks. Hadn't played enough.

I actually watched the what happened YouTube series on this last night. The develop was way out of their depth having just come from Zak and wiki on the Wii and the budget for this spiralled out of control. An utter catastrophe.

RE6 is the best 15 hour game trapped in a 40 hour game's body ever made. It's stupid as all shit but as others have said, it's more enjoyable that RE5. There are sections that are utter shit, but that's all balanced out by fighting a zombie/mech T-Rex called Derek. It also proves that you should never get into a vehicle with Leon S Kennedy or you will possibly die.

RE2 - Gets in police car with Claire. Gets destroyed by truck. Gets on Train. Gets attacked by massive monster.

RE4 - Travels to village in cop car. Car gets destroyed and cops get killed. Gets in boat on his own. Gets attacked by lake monster. Gets on mine cart. Gets attacked by villagers. Gets on truck. Gets attacked by henchmen. Gets on jet ski. Cave collapses.

RE6 - Every thing he gets in explodes or crashes.

Never get in a vehicle with him. Ever.

48 minutes ago, amc said:

I've finished RE 1, 2, Code Veronica, 4, 5, RE1 Remake, RE2 Remake and a good chunk of 7 and about to start RE3 Remake. I remember playing 6 for about 20 minutes and feeling it was off, agreeing with everything I'd read about it before I started playing. Wandered away from it.

This thread just had me look on YouTube at a walkthrough and the opening 30 mins and it looks batshit insane. A terrible looking RE game but mad fun none the less. I'd forgotten everything about my 20 minutes or so playtime as it didn't ring any bells as I watched, definitely played the opening but its memory has evaporated out of my brain.

I have it and a save on my plumbed in in the bedroom 360 but after watching that crazy walkthrough for half an hour I'm actually tempted to go and buy it on Steam. Can we get it up to 4K?

Oh, and like the poster above who was a bit befuddled, I voted but it was based on my quick play and after seeing how crazy it looks in 2021 I think my vote is bollocks. Hadn't played enough.

The PS4 remaster fixed the camera, floaty controls and runs at a super 60fps.  It's great!

Resident Evil 6 is mechanically the most complex and fun of all the TPS RE games, it just doesn’t explain it well, but when you chain together all the actions you can do it completely opens up. 

It’s all wrapped up in the most gloriously dumb game ever. I adore it. 

I don’t think many people gave it much of a chance or a fair shake, but that’s just how it is.