The Tomorrow War

JohnC

7 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Imagine being outraged by a stupid sci-fi movie, starring Andy from Parks and Rec. 

It's the little things that make life worth living.

We watched this on the weekend. Perfect movie for when you're with a bunch of mates and want to chat & laugh over the top. Massive plot holes and some really fucking ropey CGI.

Spoiler

The bit where Crisp Ratt jumped onto the White Spike in Russia was just laughable.

But over all it was a fun action movie that required no critical thinking. Solid 5/10 for me. Sort of movie that I wouldn't choose to watch again, but if it was on the telly in an evening I would probably leave it on. 

59 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Imagine being outraged by a stupid sci-fi movie, starring Andy from Parks and Rec. 

Is anyone actually outraged by this movie, though?

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I probably wouldn't ever watch it again, but it's leagues ahead of that shit Netflix zombie heist movie.

Yeah I couldn't watch that 50mm depth of field shitfest again. 

When I think about it

Spoiler

All that effort to get a toxin and they blow everything up anyway. The few they did kill with it could have been killed in the explosion with no loss of life to the gang.

Well I’m thankful for so many of you guys saying how absolutely abysmal this was as with my expectations so low I actually was slightly pleasantly surprised.

I mean it’s brainless nonsense and super obvious replete with every action sci-if trope you could think of but the action scenes were decent and I thought the alien design was pretty cool - if hugely derivative like almost everything else in the film. 

Spoiler

Chris Pratt flat out having a punch up with the big bad in the end was hilarious. 

A good hangover movie. 

On 08/07/2021 at 11:19, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

probably wouldn't ever watch it again, but it's leagues ahead of that shit Netflix zombie heist movie.

That is just the lowest you could set the quality bar!

On the whole an below-average film, but with some really good bits in it (the stairwell scene was pretty tense) and some novel ideas, then cancelling out originality by copying just about every other sci-fi action film you care to mention, apart from Star Wars/Trek stuff, and banging on about "family".

A party gathering of Americans to watch the "soccer" World Cup final at Christmas, that's your bar set. If you can't get past that, don't go any further.

48 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

For all the movies flaws, this bit is correct. The next world cup starts on 21st November and ends on 23rd December.

Wow yeah so it is! I should have known being where it is it wouldn't be possible to play it in the normal months.

I'm still right that Americans wouldn't watch it though, not on that scale.

I’ve seen lots of movies worse than this one, and at least this didn’t have any pretensions to be ‘grown-up’ sci-fi so who cares if it’s a bit daft. The production quality was much higher than I expected for an Amazon thing.

When you think about it, we’re the generation that grew up with time travel movies (from BttF and the Terminator), so to us it’s obvious that the solution is to make sure the war never happens in the first place, rather than winning the last battle for the fate of the world. There could be a fair chunk of younger people in the audience for whom that was actually a twist, rather than the first thing they thought of..

Switched it off after 15 minutes, utter garbage.

It was like watching a higher budget and more glossy version of one of those Best of the Worst films that Red Letter Media review.

Loved it how the banner said "The #1 Movie on Prime", like that's some kind of high quality recommendation. 

On 11/07/2021 at 18:35, englishbob said:

Wow yeah so it is! I should have known being where it is it wouldn't be possible to play it in the normal months.

I'm still right that Americans wouldn't watch it though, not on that scale.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "sport" on TV was changed depending on the region. Europe gets World Cup, North America probably gets a generic "grid iron" game. The dialog around it was so generic, it could have been any sport on the TV.

On 13/07/2021 at 09:36, gone fishin' said:

Switched it off after 15 minutes, utter garbage.

It was like watching a higher budget and more glossy version of one of those Best of the Worst films that Red Letter Media review.

Loved it how the banner said "The #1 Movie on Prime", like that's some kind of high quality recommendation. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the "sport" on TV was changed depending on the region. Europe gets World Cup, North America probably gets a generic "grid iron" game. The dialog around it was so generic, it could have been any sport on the TV.

If that’s the case they should have put in a bit more effort and made it snooker. Or darts. 

It’s just occurred to me that apart from that weird football bit, I can’t remember anything about the film. It was so unmemorable. There was nothing that stood out. 

I've not watched past the confrontation between Pratt's character and his dad. The clichés were already off the scale at that point but when his dad said "When I got back from 'Nam..." I stopped. 

Does it get any better after that?

So this is basically the story of a man

Spoiler

who has to be sent 30 years into the future to fight a race of terrifying aliens that nearly cause humanity's extinction to convince himself that he shouldn't divorce his wife.

Utter nonsense, absolutely riddled with clichés and plot holes, but I was rarely *bored*. Creature design was decent, I thought, and a couple of the set-pieces were competently handled. I will likely have forgotten everything about it by Monday, but there are definitely worse ways to spend a couple of hours. 

Like an hour into this and it’s very much a missed opportunity for a warhammer film. 
Astra militarum vs tyranids. It’s that exact vibe of puny human vs perfect biological monster in a dark fascistic future. 

someone in the making of this is a space hulk fan. 

On 11/07/2021 at 14:46, englishbob said:

On the whole an below-average film, but with some really good bits in it (the stairwell scene was pretty tense) and some novel ideas, then cancelling out originality by copying just about every other sci-fi action film you care to mention, apart from Star Wars/Trek stuff, and banging on about "family".

A party gathering of Americans to watch the "soccer" World Cup final at Christmas, that's your bar set. If you can't get past that, don't go any further.

Also, the player with the ball was way past the halfway line before the whole dimensional warp anus showed up on the halfway line and it was in front of him. Offside or something.