1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

loading into a game takes about 8 seconds too long

Not anymore in the PS5 version - just tried a single race and its rapid! 

I expected load times to be quicker (is it quicker than PS4 version running on PS5 SSD?) and I’m not overly impressed by the haptics but I’ll reserve judgement a bit as I’ve only tried the one race on dirt. Felt a bit of lockup on the left trigger when braking which was nice though.

What I do like is being able to jump straight back into an event using an Activity Card and it all looks great etc.

OK, so loading times are slightly slower than on the Series X and the haptics stuff doesn’t amount to much. It’s not noticeably better graphically to me at this point, but I assume someone will do a proper comparison. It’s still Wreckfest, though, and therefore brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Jazz Glands said:

Wreckfest doesn’t appear to carry saves over from the PS4 version which is a shame 

"a shame" is a slight understatement here. It's proper shit.

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

OK, so loading times are slightly slower than on the Series X and the haptics stuff doesn’t amount to much. It’s not noticeably better graphically to me at this point, but I assume someone will do a proper comparison. It’s still Wreckfest, though, and therefore brilliant. 

certainly slowly load times, more refined haptics (but weaker, and the Xbox controller strangely does a better job of telling you when you lost grip). There’s the loss of auto-hdr which will be a shame in some tracks. There appears to be new god rays: eg on the first race of the career mode dirt oval demolition, filtering through the trees.

but it’s much of a muchness and I can’t see how bugbear will be able to sell the upgrade to series X owners after the headline and transformative 60fps and faster loading features already exist.

The adaptive triggers do change a lot as your car takes damage which is cool. I think the haptics convey grip fine but not enough the difference in surfaces, hopefully they tune that a bit for the full release.

That'll actually be interesting, seeing if they take a bit of time to tune it for "retail". I am sort of mentally treating this as "Early Access".

I had a go for maybe an hour on Wreckfest's campaign last night. I was expecting a fun time, given the general buzz on here.

It seems pretty ropey, so far. Given this is supposedly the next-gen version, it's plagued with what seem like crappy graphics. Smeary earth textures, grass from a PS3 game. The opening events (I more or less cleared the first set of campaign events, except for ones where I think I had to buy a car but there's nothing obvious to tell you which one you need) are as unchallenging as possible. The handling is nice and loose but not very interesting, the haptics are OK, I guess.

Is it a case of a poor first impression? Does it get more better? I'm really surprised how budget and B-tier it feels. It's on a par with Maneater, I guess.

Campaign does get better with more varied tracks and cars however its really just there to unlock cars and parts for the multiplayer side of things. That's where all the fun is. 

35 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I had a go for maybe an hour on Wreckfest's campaign last night. I was expecting a fun time, given the general buzz on here.

It seems pretty ropey, so far. Given this is supposedly the next-gen version, it's plagued with what seem like crappy graphics. Smeary earth textures, grass from a PS3 game. The opening events (I more or less cleared the first set of campaign events, except for ones where I think I had to buy a car but there's nothing obvious to tell you which one you need) are as unchallenging as possible. The handling is nice and loose but not very interesting, the haptics are OK, I guess.

Is it a case of a poor first impression? Does it get more better? I'm really surprised how budget and B-tier it feels. It's on a par with Maneater, I guess.

Stick the damage on realistic, unless you have the jeopardy of wrecking your car it’s a relatively average racer imo. If you put the AI on expert I think you’ll get much more of a challenge and probably have to tune (basic stuff) and upgrade your car to compete. I think it could do with the ability to scale the AI much more though as per F1 game for example.

The opening event on the lawnmowers or whatever the hell may well be the most underwhelming opening to a game I've experienced. Free was feeling like a bit of a punchy price point at that stage.

It doesn’t really get going till the second set of stages, and then it’s only ok until the triangle stage. It really shines with friends though.

7 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Stick the damage on realistic, unless you have the jeopardy of wrecking your car it’s a relatively average racer imo. If you put the AI on expert I think you’ll get much more of a challenge and probably have to tune (basic stuff) and upgrade your car to compete. I think it could do with the ability to scale the AI much more though as per F1 game for example.

100%. That’s how I play it.

Worse thing about it imo (outside of the audio levels being shite and having to restart races due to being smashed from off screen) is the way it’s structured. Does my nut in! I like to 100% games. On this there are challenges to do while racing, in order to 100% each event. It seems to be a case of having to focus on either the challenges or focus on winning the races, doing both together is nigh on impossible. It leaves you having to complete the challenges first, then go back through everything and play all the races again just to get 100% completion.

Gave it a go earlier and after playing Returnal it feels and looks very “budget, last gen game” too.

You can completely ignore the challenges, all they do is give bonus XP, they don't factor in to the completion percentages of anything in the game. 

20 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It does get much better as you unlock more cars and tracks, although you should also switch damage to Realistic and up the AI difficulty by a couple of notches. Having the fear of your car being totalled, and having that happen to your opponents regularly, is where much of the fun in the game is. Before long you’ll be on Figure 8 tracks frantically trying to drift around smouldering wrecks. 

12 hours ago, hmm said:

The opening event on the lawnmowers or whatever the hell may well be the most underwhelming opening to a game I've experienced. Free was feeling like a bit of a punchy price point at that stage.

Hah, I thought that was the best opening to a game pretty much ever.

But yes, hoik up the difficulty, it defaults to AI that couldn't find the course with a map and every driving assistance turned on which thermonukes the handling model.

20 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Game pass glow up. 

21 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Honestly, it never gets much better. That's my main complaint about this game: why am I not having fun? I gave up on the PS4 version mid way through the second league, I can not be bothered finishing the first league on PS5. Nothing feels right: cars don't go fast enough, the audio is muffled, the stock audio effects are an ear sore, not nearly enough flying particles.

I remember playing Demolition Racer by Pitbull Interactive Syndicate on the PS1 that's way more fun than this. It boggles the mind.

3 hours ago, df0 said:

Honestly, it never gets much better. That's my main complaint about this game: why am I not having fun? I gave up on the PS4 version mid way through the second league, I can not be bothered finishing the first league on PS5. Nothing feels right: cars don't go fast enough, the audio is muffled, the stock audio effects are an ear sore, not nearly enough flying particles.

I remember playing Demolition Racer by Pitbull Interactive Syndicate on the PS1 that's way more fun than this. It boggles the mind.

Are you playing on realistic damage? There are bits of cars, scenery tyres all over the place then? I thought there’d be more gravel flying everywhere though, if that’s what you mean? You have the slowest cars in the first league but you can upgrade to make them faster or buy a quicker C class  car. You also only need 1200 points I think it is to move up leagues so it doesn’t take long if you just want to move on.

4 hours ago, Polmon said:

You can completely ignore the challenges, all they do is give bonus XP, they don't factor in to the completion percentages of anything in the game. 

On the loading screens and in the menu there is a completion stat, for example.....

Challenges —-/178

Races —-/1289

Its also shown as a Tick for winning the races and a star for winning the challenges on the event select screen.

The thing that bugs me is that, if you win a race but miss out on a challenge, then later go back to complete the challenge, it resets your race progress for that event and you have to do everything again. If you do the challenge first it seems to stay in place though. It’s poor design imo.

11 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The thing that bugs me is that, if you win a race but miss out on a challenge, then later go back to complete the challenge, it resets your race progress for that event and you have to do everything again. If you do the challenge first it seems to stay in place though. It’s poor design imo.

Agreed it’s very irritating.

Also the number of times I’ve done that flippin 1st Lawn Mower challenge because it sets that tile active when you’re finished an event rather than the one you’ve just left, so I restart that rather than the one I want to (even though it warns you and I go yes and then NOOOO lol). Going to just leave it till last. Funny thing is I don’t remember doing that on PS4 but expect it must be the same.

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Agreed it’s very irritating.

Also the number of times I’ve done that flippin 1st Lawn Mower challenge because it sets that tile active when you’re finished an event rather than the one you’ve just left, so I restart that rather than the one I want to (even though it warns you and I go yes and then NOOOO lol). Going to just leave it till last. Funny thing is I don’t remember doing that on PS4 but expect it must be the same.

Yeah, it does feel a bit bare bones when it comes to how it’s presented and structured. There’s no rear view mirror on the first person views either, which would improve things no end. Using the third person views work fine but I find the handling feels and plays better with the bumper cam. Only problem is you often get clipped from behind or off screen, which you can’t avoid, and ends up with restart after restart. All those little niggles were the reason I stopped playing it on PS4.